Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 EX 33000 miles no real issues but...

after having flat fixed at Firestone ( including tpms kit etc etc ) one day later I cant get over 2600 rpm before engine starts pulsing.

Wondering if it could be coincidental to tire change, or could something have been disturbed during process?

99 dollars to diagnose at firestone,, 250 dollar deductible from Geico on any repairs.. and my 3 years has just passed by 3 months for warranty. Drivetrain still has 3 more years i think.

Any ideas? Should I go buy my own ttest meter at a pep boys etc and see what that spits out?

Grrrr, just ruined a getaway weekend.

·
Registered
816 Posts

after having flat fixed at Firestone ( including tpms kit etc etc ) one day later I cant get over 2600 rpm before engine starts pulsing.

Wondering if it could be coincidental to tire change, or could something have been disturbed during process?

99 dollars to diagnose at firestone,, 250 dollar deductible from Geico on any repairs.. and my 3 years has just passed by 3 months for warranty. Drivetrain still has 3 more years i think.

Any ideas? Should I go buy my own ttest meter at a pep boys etc and see what that spits out?

maybe they didn't balance the tire right ??

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts

Is the engine light on?

Nothing done to the tires should have an affect on the engine.

Sounds like a coincidence to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine loses power over 3K rpm and pulses, "Malfunction" light ON

JR343 -
I am having a similar problem. Took the car in for an exhaust issue. Got it back and after a little city driving the "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" came on (yellow engine picture) and the car intermittently seems to lose power when the RMPs passed around 3K (roughly). The engine continues to run and when the car slows enough it jerks along. With the clutch in and the accelerator down, the engine would "bounce" from ~ 1500 to 3500 rpm. Turning the car off and then back on temporarily fixes the problem, but so far it keeps returning.
Did Firestone happen to wash your engine? The mechanic took it upon himself to wash my engine and I suspect that there is water in the electrical or emission control system. Gonna try to 'dry it out myself'. Will update with solution . . . (thinking positive)
Anyone else see this issue?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seems like this is happening to a lot of people. It happened to me, also, after having some engine work done. After researching through the forum and the internet, seems as though there are many reasons for this happening.

~Michelle

·
Registered
63 Posts
2006 Ex 74000 miles. This problem just happened to me on the way home. Dropped off at the repair shop. Hope it's not too much to fix...

I have an Auto xmission and it is doing almost exactly what dougrman described...:evil:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to follow up, the car was in "LIMP MODE". At some point the oil sensor switch ( or whatever Honda Calls it ) went south. It is a safety feature associated with oil pressure/condition etc. If the sensor thinks the oil is gone or no good it will put the car in this mode as to not let the engine rev too high.

Cost $ to get it replaced at the Honda dealer. Been fine since though. Shame it went literally a few miles over the warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts