Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I was told there is a leak in my vtec spool valve and needed a gasket replacement for $200.

First day back I look and sure enough fresh oil on the bolts outside the valve and some spots outside. Over the next couple of days I routinely wipe it down with a new paper towel to check and all I get are some light brown oil smudges on the paper towel but no much otherwise. I have driven on local roads as well as highways. Oil in the engine is still fresh and clear. Is that normal?

Thank you.
Jon

PS for the time when I do have to change it, can it be done though the passenger side tire well? In all the videos people do it from top or bottom but I see lots of room through the passenger side tire well and was wondering what people thought.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!); 2008 LX FWD AT
1,717 Posts
The gasket itself lists for $6.16. Just a few 10 mm bolts to remove the spool assembly. Going in through the wheel well seems like it is making it more difficult than it needs to be.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I’m on the same page as fleetwood. New gasket somewhere between $5-$10. 3 bolts, on at something like 9ft lbs, although it will feel like 30-40 ft lbs taking it off. I went from top. Probably wisest to do on a cold engine. I think you’ll be done in 15 minutes.

one of these helps tremendously:

Reactions: Jon_element

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m on the same page as fleetwood. New gasket somewhere between $5-$10. 3 bolts, on at something like 9ft lbs, although it will feel like 30-40 ft lbs taking it off. I went from top. Probably wisest to do on a cold engine. I think you’ll be done in 15 minutes.

Thank you!

Lol:) Yes definitely cold. I did a check 30 minutes after a drive and in the summer it holds its heat. I have all the parts gasket, o ring and a new OEM spool. I was going to do gaskets, but I think I'll install the new spool.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Replaced the spool valve, and it needed a replacement since a mechanic at some point damaged the connectors and caulked it back on. Engine is running smoother with the new valve, but throwing a p2649 code. Should I reset the ECM and drive and see?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replaced the spool valve, and it needed a replacement since a mechanic at some point damaged the connectors and caulked it back on. Engine is running smoother with the new valve, but throwing a p2649 code. Should I reset the ECM and drive and see?
Pulled the ECM fuse for 5 minutes and reset the ECM:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In case you need it, I just posted a screenshot for the P2649 service algorithm in this thread: Sputtering at 3000 RPMs even after new solenoid
Thank you! Engine is smooth on the test drive (highway and local) and the light has remained off after the reset. Done minimal driving cause I have not done the recommended oil change after the spool valve replacement. I had one done recently before the valve replacement and I am probably in the first thousand miles since. Is the recommended change because the gunk could clog the screen and cause an error code or is it recommended for some other reason?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thank you! Engine is smooth on the test drive (highway and local) and the light has remained off after the reset. Done minimal driving cause I have not done the recommended oil change after the spool valve replacement. I had one done recently before the valve replacement and I am probably in the first thousand miles since. Is the recommended change because the gunk could clog the screen and cause an error code or is it recommended for some other reason?
I don’t see anywhere in that screenshot that I had posted that mentioned anything about an oil change for P2649. Are you mixing up your code with P2646?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don’t see anywhere in that screenshot that I had posted that mentioned anything about an oil change for P2649. Are you mixing up your code with P2646?
I remember seeing someone post a Honda advisory recommending an oil change after the vtec spool gasket or valve replacement and was wondering if you knew?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I remember seeing someone post a Honda advisory recommending an oil change after the vtec spool gasket or valve replacement and was wondering if you knew?
Sorry, no help on that one. I would be unaware of any.

·
Registered
2004 Honda element Awd automatic
36 Posts
My leak was at first suspected to be the one you changed but it ended up being the actual oil pressure switch that is on the vtec solenoid itself. The oil switch had a leak on the actual place where the plastic meets the metal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts