Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my Honda dealership today and there was a markup called VTR. I asked Anthony (car salesman) what VTR ment and he told me that it was a chip that protects your car in case if someone wants to act stupied and steel your car. He also told me that you can put the chip in anywhere in the car. If anybody has this chip can you tell me how good it works. What do you do just put your chip to the other chip. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:681a2da0fb="Takerhybrid"]I went to my Honda dealership today and there was a markup called VTR. I asked Anthony (car salesman) what VTR ment and he told me that it was a chip that protects your car in case if someone wants to act stupied and steel your car. He also told me that you can put the chip in anywhere in the car. If anybody has this chip can you tell me how good it works. What do you do just put your chip to the other chip. Thanks for the help.[/quote:681a2da0fb]

I smell a rip-off :evil:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The only chip is in the key. It sendsa pulse to the computer, without the chip it won't start. The chip can only be in the key. This is a sandard feature and is inluded in the price.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only thing I could think of that your salesman described remotely like a anti-theft (other than the chip in the honda key, which comes standard) is the lojack systems available installed at many dealerships.

How much was the markup?

·
Registered
273 Posts
did a search on VTR,,, and honda VTR,,, only thing that comes up is a road bike from honda,,, the vtr firestorm 2000.... hmmmmm... :? i did place an STS network card in my E for tracking purposes,,, sounds similar... :shock:

·
Registered
957 Posts
VTR probably stands for Vehicle Tracking & Recovery - they are probably trying to re-brand a Lo-Jack system as a "factory option" so they can increase their chances of selling it to more people.

If this is indeed what they're selling, it's a pretty good system - you'll almost definately get your car back if it's ever stolen.

It should not be a required purchase however - it should be optional.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Here's one that sounds pretty interesting and would have been considered for purchase by me (I have Lojack):
http://www.mymobileguardian.com/MG_Insurance.asp

Your dealer should provide much of the same information that the website above does. I would also ask the question whether the dealer has access to this system. I could see it would be perfect for repo's, but I certainly wouldn't want anyone to be able to find out my location without my knowledge.

If your dealer can't give you much information, I would advise not to buy a pig in a poke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts