Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I have a Pioneer Navi unit installed for a while now.

I have the VSS wire from the ECM hooked up to it.

I've had no issues until about three months ago....

I've been trying to figure this out myself, but I turn the forums now.

Here we go.

When I stop, the cars position continues to move on the map.

I call up the Speed pulse page for the unit, and can see that sometimes when I stop the speed pulse is jumping between 0 and 5

If I move forward just a few inches it will fall to 0, and yes, if
I move forward again a few inches it will start to jump again....

I also have rough shifting from 1st to 2nd gear for a while now....

Could this be a speed sensor malfunction causing this, and could this be the reason for the rough shifting?

I've had no fault codes, or any flashing D or anything, the
Honda dealer read the codes after I complained about the shifting and found nothing, they changed the transmission fluid, which of course had no effect!!!

So, thoughts???

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update..

Replaced the two speed sensors, or input and output sensors off the tranny. Worked for a week... Now the speedo is jumping all over, acting a bit like a tach..

Car won't shift correctly due to the inaccurate speed.. It's in the shop now.

WTF? A bad wire, bad ground... Could I have installed a faulty (new) sensor..

Anyone?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
This may be the reason your having all this trouble.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see how that link helps, that's for 2007 model Es. Mine is a 2003 and has the VVS wire.

At any rate the issue is not related to the VVS or the Navi unit, it is something else, PCM maybe?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So,

I wanted to post the resolution to this problem.

Note: the dealer DID not figure this out, and after 4 months of diagnosis and changing of: Input and output shaft sensors (VVS sensors), The ECU, the Transmission (yes the entire transmission), a new speedometer assembly, and bypassing all the VSS wires, it still had the issue...

So I told the dealer thanks but no thanks, went home and checked the only Ground the Input/output shaft sensors use (Information which I got from a Honda technician while stateside, which I shared with the dealer here in Denmark BTW)

The attached picture shows the ground, it was barely loose, but that was the problem, note the plastic cover above the spark plugs has been removed.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts