Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to walk two dogs? I'm looking after my neighbor's dog while he goes back to sea (commercial fishing Capitan) They have a brand new baby so I offered to take care of walking the dog for the duration.
Our dogs are good friends, so it's no trouble.

What's the best way to walk two dogs? Separate leashes, single leash with a tether? I've taken them both on their individual retractable leashes, but it's a bit of a handful.
Dogs are ~50 lb each. One Golden/Chow mix, one Lab/Spitz mix. They're good dogs, but they get a little excited when they get together.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Tether.

I've got two 100lb Goldens and find one leash and a tether works best. Two leashes will tangle. I have them trained one per side so if they pull it's on the back of my legs not on the leash.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Using a tether is fine after you get the dogs trained. Retractable leashes should be out lawed. Too many folks let them out too far then have no control over the dog. I walk a 30lb Border Collie and a 80lb Doberman so I have to deal with height and weight and my Dobe is a puller so he has power steering (prong collar). I use 6' leather, not cloth, leashes. Leather won't hurt you hands like cloth will. You just have to keep them moving,when they slow or stop to sniff then it a dance to keep them untangled. It is not perfect Last week my BC looped around my ankles and sent me to the ground. the more you do it either way the better it will get.

Good Luck
Brian

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Ditto Brian on the retractable. I only use one for Gidget to wade in lakes and rivers.

If the dogs are friends and used to one another I'd recommend a coupler:

http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?queries_index=index10&recordno=1&Product_CatalogID=131&ProductNumber=MCA08&ProductCode=4&ProductSubCodeID=148&NewProduct=0&title_bar2=Soft%20Web%3Csup%3Etm%3C%2Fsup%3E%20Couplers&title_bar=1%2F2%22%20MINI%20SOFT%20WEB%3Csup%3Etm%3C%2Fsup%3E%20COUPLER

White Pine Outfitters is an excellent source for leashes, collars, waist belts and more. I have the High Sierra heavy duty Walk-a-belt. Have been using it for 6 and a half of Gidget's 7 years. That belt is useful for having one dog attached hands-free and then you can concentrate on the other with a hand-held leash.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Using a tether is fine after you get the dogs trained. Retractable leashes should be out lawed. Too many folks let them out too far then have no control over the dog. I walk a 30lb Border Collie and a 80lb Doberman so I have to deal with height and weight and my Dobe is a puller so he has power steering (prong collar). I use 6' leather, not cloth, leashes. Leather won't hurt you hands like cloth will. You just have to keep them moving,when they slow or stop to sniff then it a dance to keep them untangled. It is not perfect Last week my BC looped around my ankles and sent me to the ground. the more you do it either way the better it will get.

Good Luck
Brian
I agree with leather leash and I to despise retractable leashes. Easy walk harness for my Border Collie, martingale for the greyhound. I use two leashes, but used to walk my Border Collie and my Rottie, Erda, (I miss you my "Earth Goddess" Cancer is so unforgiving.) with the coupler attatched to my six foot leather leash.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have 2 dogs (1 lab/gray hound mix and 1 bernie/American bull dog mix) and I walk them on separate leaches but I keep them beside me, one on each side....until it's potty time! It works for me and I am able to keep them under control in the event a cat or some other animal comes near and they get excited.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the dogs are friends and used to one another I'd recommend a coupler:
Aha! Coupler! That's what I was looking for. I knew what it was, but not what to call it.
I've walked them together before, once on their retractables, just around the neighborhood. What a nightmare. The next time I took them was on individual leashes, it wasn't as bad, but they still got tangled a couple of times.

Chinta, the Golden/Chow is the bigger of the two, but he's very even tempered, and very obedient.
Markie, aka TheMadCrazyDingo, is about 5 lbs smaller, but he's more energetic. He's also very smart, and a little stubborn, but he listens to me.
We think he's older, but since they're both rescues, no one knows for sure.

Should be a learning experience for everyone.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have two large dogs, a Yellow Lab at about 85 pounds and a Samoyed, Golden, Lab mix at about 95 pounds. I use 2 leather leashes and hold them both in one hand. Works pretty well but then both guys are pretty good on a leash. If we run into some of their buddies, it takes both my hands to hold them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have two Siberian Huskies, they love to pull. I use harnesses like those that are made for the car. Couple (using those like pictured above) the dogs together at the mid back and use one 7 ft leash. It works great, lots of control and they mostly stay side by side. Just have to avoid them going on opposite sides of any pole or street signs.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I walk up to four dogs at a time.

I just use four separate 6' leather leashes. I bought one of those HUGE caribiners at Home Depot and have a grommetted hole in my belt.

I works OK - just have to work to keep the leashes untangled and keep enough control not to be pulled down.

Yesterday it was 3 - Rocky has come up a bit lame - and it got interesting when they alerted to 3 deer in the road ahead!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts