Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A part of my getting the "E" is to reinvent myself. And a part of reinventing myself is to lose weight, trim down and be more healthy. I hope to use the "E" to help me do this by getting a mountain bike to get a bit of workout after work on the biking trails around Toronto.

I haven't had a bike in 10 years when I had a 12 speed drop handle bar style. What I want to find is a mountain bke that will give me a lot of resistance so that I don't find myself zooming along just to get a workout.

I know I should also get a helmet, maybe some gloves, a water bottle. Are there any other things I should purchase? Any tips on what to look for in a bike?

Thanks in advance.

Iskie

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your intention is to use the bike on mountain trails, by all means, get a mountain bike. But consider if you would mainly use it on paved roads or trails...if so, a mountain bike might not be your best choice. Hybrids have narrower wheels and let you sit more "upright," and in general are better suited for pavement use. If you try to "mountain bike" on the pavement, you get noise & greater resistance from the tires, PLUS the wheel diameters are much smaller=more work for you, worse ride. A nice aluminum frame hybrid should only run you $500-750.

Whatever you do, don't get a cruiser. the extra weight kills you, even though you are practically sitting on a bucket seat.

Consider a bell or other device to warn people you're coming up on. Personally, I just yell and sometimes people are so enthralled with their conversations, they end up slowing me down & almost getting hit...don't like the near-misses. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As Red Armageddon said, first consider what type of riding you will do. My advice would be that once you figure out what you want to do, go to a bike shop. Don't buy a walmart special. Those bikes are good for 6 year olds who don't know any better and can bounce back from an ill fitting bike. A shop will help fit you to your bike and yes this is important. A good fitting bike will provide you with a much better ride. If you don't believe me, drop your seat 2 inches from what the shop set it at (which is where most people fit themselves, you'll notice).
I would recommend checking out a couple of shops and ride everything with 2 wheels. Every bike has it's own fit and feel. While I may ride a Santa Cruz, you may be a better fit for a Kona or a Trek. Most shops only carry 3 or 4 companies, so look around. A good shop won't pressure you and will let you try everything out.
Last little caveat I can give is don't go huge the first time. That sleek aluminum ride with full suspension and all the bells and whistles may look sweet, but you don't want a $2500 garage ornament. Low to mid range, depending on what you can afford, will give you a couple of good years of riding. If you put 20,000 miles on your bike in your first year, by all means upgrade, but I would still recommend starting low.
And lastly, always support your LBS (local bike shop) they know the trails, they know the bikes and they'll possibly know the local groups. Help build a trail. You'll appreciate huckin' your own 5 ft. drop one day.

Get yourself some good gear and then hit the trails. Just make sure that you wear your helmet so you can survive when the trail hits back!

These are recommendations only, your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cool info! I was planning on doing the same thing when I get my Element. I sit around the office way too much and it is time to get out and enjoy the world! And get healthy at the same time!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK guys, $500 to $700 is a bit rich for me be it in USD or CAD. :?

I saw a few bikes in the local Costco last night - some hybrids and other types of bikes for about $250, which is about the amount of money I would like to spend. I am not intending to become a biker extraordinaire, but rather someone who has a bit of exercise and some quiet reflective riding from time to time.

How do I know what size of bike to get? I can't remember what size I bought about 14 years ago, apart from the fact it was probably a bit large for me. I am about 5'11".

Thanks!

Iskie

·
Registered
25 Posts
A quick, down and dirty way to figure it out...straddle the top tube (the top part between the seat and the handle bars) assuming it's a straight tube, you will want about 4-6" of clearance between your crotch and the top tube. That's the inside of your crotch, not the dangly bits. if you want some other info (ie proper seat height, adjusting handle bars etc) feel free to message me privately and I can help (or at least point you to some good sites with the answers)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't forget the accessories (helmet, SPDs, shoes, shorts, etc.). I've had great success with some on-line merchants who can shatter the prices of local bike shops. You can try http://www.bikenashbar.com or http://www.performancebike.com Also there's http://www.priceline.com who generally specializes in mountain bike stuff. I can attest to the fact that the most important piece of equipment you will ever buy is a good helmet. I crashed once so hard that I split mine in half and I turned out okay (relatively speaking). :roll: Don't skimp on a helmet.

·
Registered
914 Posts
[quote:9ac9486746="Red Armageddon"]Consider a bell or other device to warn people you're coming up on. Personally, I just yell and sometimes people are so enthralled with their conversations, they end up slowing me down & almost getting hit...don't like the near-misses. Good luck.[/quote:9ac9486746]

and don't forget your tassels and basket :lol:

No, seriously, my roomate works at a bikeshop and he said it all depends on personal preferences. It depends on where you are going to ride and what you're going to use it for. Cruisers are good for cruising, if you want to use your bike to get places fast, a cycling bike would work, or even a light (titanium frame) bike would work. I also asked him about bike prices, he said you get what you pay for. You could go with a cheaper bike, but most of the time, the bikes pre-assembled by say Costco and Walmart (especially walmart-he loathes those things) are not put together properly and put together by sales assistants that know nothing about bikes and put together the bikes for quantity and not quality.

Depends on you, get a good bike, and a good helmet, and you're set. Just rely on your own experiences with other things. If you like to play basketball you're not going to go out on the court with a nerf basketball and expect it to perform...maybe you will, but you're getting your E so i gave you the benefit of the doubt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts