Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'2" and thinking of buying and element in the next two weeks. My wife loves it, but I'm not sure if I can fit in the driver's seat. Also, we want to get a manual transmission with it. I didn't test drive the manual, but i feel like my knees hit the steering wheel even with the seat all the way down and the wheel fully up. How does it feel long term? Anybody not fit in the driver seat? Head room is absolutely no problem.
Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am 6'5 and I like the room in the E. The steering wheel is a little low but after a few times out I have no problems. I don't like the way the steering wheel blocks my view of the speedometer. Good Luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
My husband is 6'2" and has a rather long legs and large girth. He is comfortable driving but his knees touch the glove box when he is a passenger. The Element is the ONLY small vehicle I could find that he could fit in and find some comfort. The headroom and width of the Element sold me.

If you haven't already, check out the Toyota website. They have a compare feature that allows you to compare up to five vehicles at a time and lists all of the vehicle dimensions. This saved me from having to drag my husband from dealership to dealership to sit in cars.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My two sons-in-law are 6'2" and 6'5" and both marveled over the leg room, head room and comfort- even in the backseat. Both in fact, are thinking about buying an Element after driving mine.

Steve

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am 6' 5" and I am happy with the automatic but I don't think I would like a manual version. There isn't a lot of foot room and I think it would be unconfortable to shift. Otherwise I am happy with everything else. Yes, there should be more leg room up front. With 3 people in the car I am happy to sit in the back. There's more room than in the front passenger seat.

- CK

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm 6'1" and am fine with the auto, not sure about the manual though. Leg room is fine but my knees do touch the dash sometimes. Headroom is no problem. The backseat is even more roomier. This thing feels roomier than a Ford Expedition. :lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm 6'3" and have a 5 speed and I have plenty of leg room even while shifting. I bought the Element because it is one of the few cars that I really feel confortable in. I'm really picky about leg room and if I had had even a minor issue I would not have gotten it.

In fact I was at one time strongly considering the Land Rover Discovery, but it had NO leg room at all. I really don't understand how anyone over 5'6' can drive it. Same of the Honda S2000.

Next time you are at the dealer make sure that you adjust the seat in every direction possible until it feels right for you. Make sure you push the seat all the way back and I think most importantly, rake the seatback into several different positions until you find one you like. Also, don't forget to adjust the seat up and down all the way to find a good position.

Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am looking at the Camry, Accord and Element in the next 30 days. Already bought an Element for my wife. The Camry and Accord handle infinitily better than the Element. (And they should. The Element is a box.)

But the box is way morecomfortable for me to drive. I am 6'5". There is simply no comparison to the head and shoulder room of the Element v the Accord. If I buy the Camry over the Accord it will be solely because of the head and shoulder room. The Accord appears to be a better value otherwise.

Doug Fejer

See my website at www.douglasfejer.com for photos of my wife's new car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is the most headroom I've ever had in a car, and that includes a Wrangler I used to own. I'm 6'5", and the headroom is excellent. The legroom is adequate, but there aren't many vehicles out there that can give me excellent legroom. Getting in and out of the Element is no problem at all. I keep the steering wheel all the way up so I can see the speedometer, and it makes for a more comfortable driving position. If you're wearing "wide shoes", you might have a problem with the gas and brake. When I'm wearing my sandals they tend to get hung up on the brake pedal when I am letting off the gas. Not enough to be a big concern, though. Keep the headrest all the way up, it makes for more comfort and is the ideal position in terms of safety.

·
Registered
156 Posts
[quote:7337173a41="buckaroo99"]I really don't understand how anyone over 5'6' can drive it. Same of the Honda S2000.
Good luck[/quote:7337173a41]

I'm 6'1" and have a 5spd E as well as an S2000. No problems at all, both fit me like they were made for me. 8) Get the E, it's got plenty of room. And good luck, whatever you decide!

Steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
ny2tx said:
I'm 6'2" and thinking of buying and element in the next two weeks. My wife loves it, but I'm not sure if I can fit in the driver's seat. ...
Are you kidding? I'm 6'2" and there's enough room for me to wear Abe Lincoln's stovepipe hat in my E ;-)

·
Registered
338 Posts
My brother is 6'2" and he complains the passenger side is not big enough (leg room-wise), and you can see, it is not.

He has never driven. I'd like more room from the knees down (width) on the driver's side.

·
Registered
43 Posts
well Im 6'4 and the element has more leg room than the grand cherokee I also have. You have to make sure you turn the knob on the seat to bring the seat all the way down, and go all the way back and tilt the wheel to its up positon, but its very confortable. Easy to get in and out, could wear a 10 gallon hat if I wanted. But the back seat has mass leg room.

Overall, I can't find alot of cars that fit, I could not even drive a S2000 to save my life if it was the last car on earth!. Its seat won't go back enough, or drop to get leg room on the wheel etc..

My thoughts.
6/03 Element Galop green, EX 4wd

·
Registered
31 Posts
All I know is that I'm 5'11" and I sit with the bottom part of the driver's seat as far back as it goes and I'm comfortable. If I was taller, I would think it doesn't go back far enough.....but that's just me. Head room is enormous of course.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm 6'3" and about 300 pounds. I love the room that my Element has! I have plenty of leg room and the head room is great!

You might want to be sure that the driver's side seat is lowered close to all the way, and then recline the seat one or two notches from vertical.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm 6'2" and just got my E on Friday. Initially it was difficult to find a seat/stearing wheel setting where I could see the speedometer clearly, but got that figured out. Set the steering wheel all the way up, seat most of the way down and back with the seatback slightly reclined--good to go. Took a 3 hour drive to Rehoboth Beach and back this weekend, and was Very comfortable! I like the firm seats. Love the vehicle; fun to drive!! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
6'7" tall and am happy with the room in the E. Somestimes on a longer trip I wish I new what to do with my left foot. (DEAD PEDAL PLEASE).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.