Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are looking to add to our family and need a little advice. I have a 4 year old male English Mastiff and a 9 year old male cat. I also have a 2 year old boy. My mastiff is very submissive and just a big goof ball. My two year old has been great at taking care of both the dog and cat. He is not aggressive with either of them. I would like to find another dog that would not only become our new family member but also provide some companionship for our mastiff. He is home alone pretty much all day. I do come home for lunch but the poor guy just doesn't get enough exercise and attention that I think he needs.

I definitely will be looking for a rescue and I'm sure it should be a female. Size does matter in that we just can't fit another 200 lb dog in the house, so she should be medium to smallish. Anyone have any ideas on a breed (mix) that would be able to get along with an extra large dog, a very aloof cat and a bright and loving 2 year old boy? :D

And, if anyone has any good contacts for rescue organizations in my area please send them my way.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Except for the size thing I would say a Newf big goof. While big dog they realy don't take up much room :)

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
With a child that young I couldn't recommend a rescue older than six months unless it has been extensively evaluated. There is a well established six month honeymoon period with rescues.

My Leo bitch turned out to be very dog aggressive (btw great breed for kids and usually very nice all around) and my GSD/Staffie/Whatever that was supposed to be a foster at six months has a temperament that makes him not suited for average pet homes.

The law of averages says most people adopt adult rescues and everything goes well. But given your child's age and the heartbreak of having to rehome a dog, I would err on the side of caution.

My son is now nine and I still hold the same requirements for my household.

As for breed mix suitability, that's hard because you are dealing with a breed mix,lol. Most of which are mis Id'd anyway. Always research the rescue, I'm happy to help in that regard if I can. I deal moslty with ASD in that area but there is plenty of transport going through there of other dogs.

I'd consider Leo Rescue but it's really hard to get a dog, LIN does Leo mixes. My bitch is only 86 pounds, small for a Leo but they do come on the small side, for reasons that usually place them in rescue in the first place. They are fantastic dogs, moderate exercise, very laid back. Mine is just crazy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Oh, I also recommend that everyone adopting have the vet scope the ears, not just do the normal check. Lida's were rotting they were so infected and this is a common issue that can make it seem as though there are (or in her case aren't) temperament problems.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love Newfys!

My neighbor has 2 aussies. Beautiful dogs but I think they require a more active life style than I could give them right now. As my son gets older a more active dog would probably be ideal for us.

Strawintogold – thanks for that “light bulb” moment! I realize that I’m asking the wrong questions. Instead of asking just breed specific questions I should have been asking more about how to find a good rescue organization that does thorough evaluations on their adoptions (on both sides – adoptee and adopter).

·
Registered
138 Posts
i don't want to sound bias, gut my two boxers are excellent with children! they even allow you to take food from them while they are eating. both of them are great, however one did go to puppy school and she is superb! my sister also has a pug and he is very well mannered. good luck with your search!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a boxer before we got our mastiff. I miss her so much. She was a fantastic dog... so smart but very hyper too. Thinking about that option. :smile:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I highly recommend one of the Corgi's

Cardigan Welsh Corgi, (with a tail)
Pembroke Welsh Corgi, (no tail)

Cardigan is a tad larger 30-35 pound, Pembroke 25-30.
Extremely good with children, affectionate, super smart, and good watchdogs.

Love to travel, and in a family, very healthy, vet bills can get dramatic.

I presently have one Cardigan Welsh, and a LongHair German Shep.
They comprise my Search and Rescue team.
The have gone to many states, helping to find missing.

We used to have pagers, when they went off the dogs ran and stood at the vehicle, ready to go.
now we use cells, and I have to change the tune for the 'mission call' as 3 rings and they know it's for them.

They work as a team, Shep goes over obstacles the Corgi can't. Corgi goes under where the Shep can't.

In case you can't tell, The Corgi is the 'short' black with white blaze one. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I’m so excited to announce that I will be adopting a new family member tonight! I decided on a Basset for their extremely good nature and being great with kids. And, because I couldn't find another rescue group that would work with a family with a small child. :rolleyes:

This is Princess Megan (Its a rescue photo). She is so sweet and just a gentle soul.

She was one of the dogs rescued from a puppy mill seizure in Bowie Texas last summer. Her story is heartbreaking. Every time I think about it I cry and then get so angry. :-x

She was one of 500 hundred dogs seized from Maggic Pets Heddins Kennel (http://www.maggicpets.com/ ). She was found in a crate in a field of weeds in the back of these people’s property. Evidently she was no longer of use the Heddins and was put back there to… just die. :-( She spent her entire first 5 years of her life in a crate producing puppies. She was horribly emaciated, HW positive from the exposure and… you name the parasite, she had it. Her foster said that she wouldn’t come into their house at first. When she tried to give Meg a bowl of food, she didn’t know what to do with it unless she dumped it on the floor. Even Vick fed his dogs and he still got jail time. All these people will get is a fine. GRRR!
:evil:

·
Registered
177 Posts
What a fantastic choice! I'm sorry it didn't occur to me to mention rescues and small kids. It's a pain, but it's more common then not. Like I mentioned, with an adult dog you just don't know enough to be sure it's safe.

Bassets are great! I'm so glad she got out and the rescue was able to work with her.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm sure you know this but don't treat her as if she's had a terrible time. Dogs live in the moment, treat her as if she's always been treated well, be mindful but upbeat. She'll take her cue from you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts