Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlight warning buzzer, seat belt buzzer, key in ignition buzzer, none of these are working! I don't know if something is broken or the previous owner disabled this somehow. I would like to get this working again, I have left my headlights on twice and killed my battery!) Does anyone have any suggestions, before I have to resort to taking it to the dealer?
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Issue has been covered before.

Do a forum search.

Does the ceiling lamp illuminate when the driver's door is opened? If no, the most likely culprit for the key and headlight warnings being inoperative is that the driver's door jamb switch has been knocked apart (usually by closing the door with the seat belt buckle hanging in the door opening).

Simple fix if that's your problem - remove the switch and snap the pieces back together. Rarely will you find a switch that is so damaged as to require replacement.

The seatbelt warning may have been disabled separately. You should search that "issue" as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi....I'm the guy u parked next to at the Sunoco.....there is a headlite warning tone....just thought I'd look up your post.....Dow Honda will help with this.....just swing in there

·
Registered
839 Posts
Issue has been covered before.

Do a forum search.

Does the ceiling lamp illuminate when the driver's door is opened? If no, the most likely culprit for the key and headlight warnings being inoperative is that the driver's door jamb switch has been knocked apart (usually by closing the door with the seat belt buckle hanging in the door opening).

Simple fix if that's your problem - remove the switch and snap the pieces back together. Rarely will you find a switch that is so damaged as to require replacement...
While I do agree that the key and headlight reminder can be tied into the door switch (they only activate when the multiplex sees the door open with the headlights on or the key in), I disagree with the damaged switch comment and following this advice would have customers at my work coming back with repeat complaints and not having their vehicle fixed right the first time.

Every single door switch of the pin-design I have replaced at work has been damaged in some way. The little loop tabs that hold the switch body to the mounting plate have broken on either one or both sides, or the pin assembly body has cracked and broken away completely. If the door switch has come away from the mounting plate and it is your own vehicle, then yes you can try to put it back together or crazy Glue it and see if it holds, but don't be surprised if it comes away again in the near future. Besides, for the price of a door switch it's an inexpensive repair when you figure you'll probably only replace one or two in the grand scheme of things, either of which can be done yourself with nothing more than a ratchet and an 8mm socket.

The headlight-on warning being out implies that the buzzer itself is bad. IIRC that function is unrelated to the door switch or the seat belt switch.

You could make a point of turning off your headlights, and rejoice in the lack of an annoying buzzer.
I could be wrong Dan but I think the door switch does have a say in when the reminders are activated.

The MICU watches it's inputs of which the door switches are one of them that tell the MICU when a door is opened. So if the MICU sees the door open signal but also sees the key-in signal and/or the headlights-on signal then it will sound the appropriate reminder (I believe the key-in reminder always takes precedent over headlights on, thus key-in reminder will activate but headlight on reminder will not until the keys are removed). So if the door switch is broken and the doesn't ground and complete the circuit when a door is opened, the MICU assumes that the door is closed and won't sound the appropriate reminder when the key is left in or the headlights are left on.

However, the fact that the MICU doesn't rely on the door switch to determine when to sound the seat belt reminder does make you wonder if it has been disabled as Mook said or if the buzzer is bad as you mentioned.

I could be wrong but I think the buzzer is located in the MICU (I had a multiplex out of a Pilot which was bad and there was a buzzer assembly in it (looks like a little capacitor with a hole in the top) so if you could find someone with the same Element, it would be a matter of changing it out for a known good unit and see if the problem remains.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yeah, you're right of course. Stupid brain.
No worries Dan, it happens. I get ahead of myself all the time and hiccup on the small details too :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
where is this sensor/switch located?

I purchased a 2003 Element used and everything was working fine, but about 2 months ago the warning buzzer for leaving the headlights stopped working. I have run my battery down 3 times already!

Where is this "door switch" located? maybe that is the problem for my Element as well. I would be thrilled to get this fixed. As a busy mom, I apparently don't have time to be bothered with remembering to turn off the lights myself. ;)

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
The switch is on the leading edge of the back door, just below the striker.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744

If that switch is broken, it should also change the behavior of the dome light, and the door-ajar indicator on the dash won't light when you open the driver's door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks!

WAHOO! I think this solved my problem! I was wondering why the interior dome light was acting funny as well. (thought the hubby disabled it because it wakes the sleeping kids when you open the doors.)

I am so excited to have found this forum! I love my Element as a "kid hauler" and can hardly wait to get it looking EXACTLY how I want it!

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Part #35400-S5A-013.

The switch requires a good electrical contact with the door. Could be a bad switch, loose screw, corrosion, or a broken/disconnected wire. The passenger's door switch works normally?
I do have a few loose screws!
As for the buzzer it's fixed!!! When the door was shut the seatbelt was it in and must have knocked the sensor out. My dad took it apart and it had become disconnected so it was a simple matter of plugging it back in!!!
Yeah!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the same prob as OP. It's starting to be a hassle now. Twice this week me or my fiancee has left the lights on. Gonna look into the door switch. Pretty sure the seatbelt has been slammed in the door countless times. Oh yeah off topic, hooking up the trailer wiring harness was a breeze and you cant even see it. Buy the easy hopkins hook up. Have to order it but it's painless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem on our 2004 Element. Passenger's switch is fine -- everything acts appropriately; I replaced the driver's switch, and still no luck! Dome light, headlight chime, and door ajar indicator don't function for driver's door.

Hadn't considered bad connection with door itself -- I'll double check that, but switch installed pretty easily, so I imagine the connection is good. Where should I look next? Following the wire all the way through the car looking for a break/short sounds like a chore -- any other spots to check before doing that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this same problem and the switch was definitely the culpurit. Just took it apart and reattached the switch with the plug. Buzzer and headlamp works now :grin: pretty stoked!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just fixed the same problem on my 2004 Ellie. Thanks to all of you who post good info like this. If I come up with any new issues I'll come here first and share anything I learn. Again, thanks to all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Element

Dome light and head light warning don't work on the drivers side, but work on passenger side. I switched the switches, driver side still doesn't work passenger side does. Checked fuses, they are good. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
um yeah mine too

hardcore necropost! I've inherited this issue with my '04 El and on random occasions when my mind is wandering some path toward elsewhere, the next day I find the battery to be dead. I've read all the threads that seem related to this issue.... with that info, my dome light seems to be activated/de-activated by both the driver & passenger side door buttons. I was curious if anyone else has had this unique combo with the warning buzzer not working?

on a side note: there seems to be quite alot of posts pertaining to feeling quite the amount of IRE with the sound of the buzzer. This seems to be a function that comes with most modern cars tho right? Do alot of El drivers just hang out with their keys in the ignition or the lights on with doors open for extended amounts of time? That said, I've never actually heard the buzzer. I wonder if I will regret fixing it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
2011 Element

Dome light and head light warning don't work on the drivers side, but work on passenger side. I switched the switches, driver side still doesn't work passenger side does. Checked fuses, they are good. Any Ideas?
What fuse is it to check? I replaced the door switch but it did not fix the problem. Want to check the appropriate fuse next

1 - 20 of 21 Posts