Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone Sunday night/Monday mourning cut off and stole my catalytic converter. My E was parked in front of my house. At first I thought it someone that going to sell the precious metal that is in them. But after calling around different muffler shops it appears to be a dealer only item in this great state of California. Even Auto zone carries about ten of them none of which can be sold or used on any California registered Elements. This is a $2260.00 claim with my insurance. My element is an 04 and still no after market catalytic, its B.S.
Be aware people.............................:x

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry to hear about your CC getting stolen - the fact that you have to go factory rather than potentially with a less-expensive aftermarket cat makes it sting all that much more :(

A consideration below once you get the new one installed and for anyone else who's concerned - the 20% off coupon that was up is no longer posted, but they do have a 15% off one in the site banner along w/ free shipping - seems like they always run some kind of coupon? Mine arrived and is waiting for a warmer day for the install...

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1101241&highlight=#post1101241

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If you know anyone in Nevada or Arizona you can have it shipped to their front door for a couple hundred bucks. ;-)
I thought of that, my dad lives in Arizona. But after buying it, shipping to my house and installation I'm right at the $500.00 insurance deductible. Remember both sensors were stolen also. It goes on my record as a no fault claim. This way I know its done "right" at the Honda dealership. Its going to be all new from exhaust manifold back.

get one from a junk/scrap yard? there has to be viable cats on junked elements
I go to junk yards a lot. In the last year have only seen two. Both were completely gutted. The problem is It is illegal in California for junk yards to sell used catalytic converters. They scrap for the precious metal inside them.

I did purchase the catclamp. I know its (almost) impossible to cut cable with a sawsall but now there are some inexpensive cordless grinders and those can can cut cable pretty easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It appears I'm also a victim of this crime.

Hey, Jason. I just discovered my catalytic converter is also missing after being parked on the street. I live in Los Angeles proper.

Question: By chance, was your car for sale? Did you have any one come to see the vehicle as a potential buyer?

My car is for sale, and I had a couple come look at my car early last week. Their buying interest seemed disingenuous after they very quickly made a very low-ball offer. Also, their story changed a couple of times in regard to restrictions on why they couldn't ultimately buy my vehicle; and they were also driving a vehicle with no license plate. Additionally, the woman had a spiral notepad that had many, many phone #'s and vehicle's listed on it. In retrospect I'm fairly confident they were casing me as a target.

Typically, I park my Element in a garage; however, currently we have one more car than we have garage spaces for. As a result, I've been parking the Element on the street. I believe that's what these two were looking for. They were searching the classifieds for the locations of Elements that they could hit while parked on the streets.

Thanks for any feedback. You guys be careful out there.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
They were searching the classifieds for the locations of Elements that they could hit while parked on the streets.
PLEASE pass on that info to the local cops if you haven't already. Even if that was only YOUR experience, that may be the one that catches the bastards.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, Jason. I just discovered my catalytic converter is also missing after being parked on the street. I live in Los Angeles proper.

Question: By chance, was your car for sale? Did you have any one come to see the vehicle as a potential buyer?

My car is for sale, and I had a couple come look at my car early last week. Their buying interest seemed disingenuous after they very quickly made a very low-ball offer. Also, their story changed a couple of times in regard to restrictions on why they couldn't ultimately buy my vehicle; and they were also driving a vehicle with no license plate. Additionally, the woman had a spiral notepad that had many, many phone #'s and vehicle's listed on it. In retrospect I'm fairly confident they were casing me as a target.

Typically, I park my Element in a garage; however, currently we have one more car than we have garage spaces for. As a result, I've been parking the Element on the street. I believe that's what these two were looking for. They were searching the classifieds for the locations of Elements that they could hit while parked on the streets.

Wow I feel your pain......:evil: No it was not for sale. It was parked in front of my house. My female neighbor heard the sawsall noise. ( Although did not identify with noise) Came out saw two guys standing next to my E. They split when they saw her. She called the police then went to bed.............:evil:
So I finally got my Element back from dealer. Insurance and dealer kept blaming each other..................:060:
I did buy a Cat Clamp. Will post up pics when I install.........:food004:

·
Registered
94 Posts
:shock: that looks very secure. If this doesn't deters them thieves, I don't know what else!

On second thought, if I install this device, they might find it easier to steal my entire vehicle instead :razz:

So Jason, does the manufacturer of the Catclamp offer some kind of insurance if the thieves, for some reason, still decide to steal your cat converter just to prove a point?

·
Registered
38 Posts

mine was stolen 2 weeks ago when i was parked on the street. Los Angeles near downtown.

ugh.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
mine was stolen 2 weeks ago when i was parked on the street. Los Angeles near downtown.

ugh.
Frank,

A usual spot (work/home/etc.), or a random spot?

I'm using you guys to convince myself to buy one, even though I can't afford it.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
That is cool and all, but if a theft saw that, they may just cut a slit in your CAT ruining it anyway in spite of your attempts....

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Last week I brought my Jeep over to my local shop for LOF, rewire my fog lamps and replace a faulty crank sensor.

While there I saw a Element parked in the back lot. I asked about it.
Turns out the E's Cat converter was cut out and stolen and the entire rear exhaust system ruined in the process.

BEWARE: Element CAT theft is a growing problem all over California at the moment.

Maybe a large, rubber (life like) rattlesnake under the car could scare away a would be thief.
Nothing else seems to work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This may sound stupid... but is the stock cat a bolt on piece? That would seem to make it easier to steal. I upgraded mine to a high flow cat when I updated my exhaust system in prep for my turbo, so it's presently welded to my system. Just trying to figure out if I need to sit on my porch with a 12gauge and a beer ;P

Reactions: Lindzrock

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
This may sound stupid... but is the stock cat a bolt on piece? That would seem to make it easier to steal. I upgraded mine to a high flow cat when I updated my exhaust system in prep for my turbo, so it's presently welded to my system. Just trying to figure out if I need to sit on my porch with a 12gauge and a beer ;P
It sounds like some thieves are just sawing them right off the car, because it's faster.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ouch... looks like it's off to Walmart for a case of shells

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Ouch... looks like it's off to Walmart for a case of shells
I'll watch your E in the Parking Lot if you grab me a box while you are in there.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts