Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
metal theft in general is way up in LA. Nothing spectacular, just metal, blows my mind. We chase those types away from numerous locations we film in as they eyeball the sun shade bases and folding lunch chairs. One of the craft service/caterer people told me once a metal collector was caught trying to steal every single folding chair as they were set out for a late dinner.

With regards to auto cat converter thefts, its the same principal as vintage stereo theft. In and out in a few seconds regardless of witnesses or location.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
metal theft in general is way up in LA. Nothing spectacular, just metal, blows my mind. We chase those types away from numerous locations we film in as they eyeball the sun shade bases and folding lunch chairs. One of the craft service/caterer people told me once a metal collector was caught trying to steal every single folding chair as they were set out for a late dinner.

With regards to auto cat converter thefts, its the same principal as vintage stereo theft. In and out in a few seconds regardless of witnesses or location.
I work next door to a bank, so my car is always on camera. HOWEVER, people with kids are always coming in and out of the bank (kids expensive?), and the door dings are relentless and require professional fixing. I'd actually rather pay for a catlock and park elsewhere. Still too poor though =(

·
Registered
168 Posts
You sir, have a deal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just wanted to say my cat got stolen and so did my brother in law's. I bought the catClamp and I feel much better having it on. I took it to a muffler shop who said that they have their own method of welding extra metal to prevent cat theft and this was the first time they saw a catClamp and I asked them to install it. They charged me $100 and said that they thought it was a great deterrent and that it was better than what they would've done. Sure I think the right thief could take the time to steal it, but it turns a 5 minute job into more like a 30min to 60+ minute job. The bottom line is if a thief sees this theyre much more likely to look elsewhere.

I just bought one for my brother in law who also drives an element. The whole thing is such a drag, but the peace of mind is huge for me.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I finally sold enough old parts that I could pick up a CatClamp. BONUS, the 20% off coupon still works, despite a 15% off coupon being featured:

20% off total is $128 for me AND I could use Paypal checkout AND it's a "Google Trusted Store" (whatever that means).

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
almost lost my Cat

Well, I wasn't home yesterday, and my neighbor parked his truck where I usually park, and his Cat got sawed off. Lucky I was out, because I haven't installed the clamp yet. I was planning today or tomorrow.

Apparently it happened very late at night, in front our own house, in full view of streetlights and neighboring windows. San Gabriel Valley.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My neighbor said this is his THIRD stolen in the local area over the last few years. Apparently the other two were in Warehouse Store parking lots. Local cops told him people tend to bring large vehicles to stock up on items, park in the back of the lot (ridiculous truck parking area), and are gone for quite a while shopping. In the back of the lot, the target vehicle usually has an empty spot next to it, the thieves pull in with a sliding door van. One guy sits in the car as a lookout, the other guy opens the sliding door and slips out to get under the neighbor car to steal. This may affect my enjoyment of Costco. =(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Jason, as a preventative I purchased a Cat Clamp and had my Honda dealer install it. There are two versions... standard and industrial strength. I bought the standard since after one look, a potential thief will move on to easier pickings. The cable is difficult to cut with a portable electric saw. $160 plus installation is cheaper than a new cadillac converter. www.CatClamp.com

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
$160 plus installation is cheaper than a new cat converter. www.CatClamp.com
$128 plus install, with the promo code in post #25 above.

FYIs:

1. You HAVE TO send a pic of the completed install back to the cat-clamp people to get the 1yr moneyback warranty approved, and it takes them about 3 weeks to respond. If nothing else, this is good to check and make sure you installed correctly.

2. They actually sell break-away bolts as an accessory, but I would recommend installing it first with the regular bolts, getting the install approved (warranty) by the cat clamp people, THEN putting in the break-away bolts 1 at a time. The forces on the parts make it very hard to get the bolts into threads correctly on 1st try. You don't want to screw yourself and break one off too early because you skipped a thread (the break-off is based on torque) .

3. I tried installing with the rearmost cable wrapping across to the bar behind the gas tank, but it started pulling the exhaust system left, OFF OF it's hanging support, and also caused a lot more vibration. I ended up re-doing it normally to get rid of 95% of the noise, and stop the leftward pulling on the system.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Last install note:
I also picked up some Clear Vinyl Tubing at Home Depot. 1/2" x 3/8" x 10' "Watts" brand. Part number is either "SVIG10" or "42143610". UPC is 0-48643-02554-7.

We cut short segments and ran the cable through it first wherever it wrapped around the Element parts, to hold down vibration noise and scraping/grinding. Be careful not to use it near the high-heat parts, of you may have smokey/melty/burning problems.

I noticed older Cat Clamps already came with this type of protection, but newer ones don't. I'm guessing because people wrapped them poorly and had the burning problem.

I can't find the receipt anymore, but it was about $5.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Add another victim

Wel live in Los Angeles 90042, Friday night they hit our Element parked at the curb. Car went to Honda of Pasadena $2600 in repairs. Thank god for insurance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
That really sucks those scum bags are hitting all over So Cal. At least with the Cat clamp there is a little piece of mind. It also sucks that you can not buy an aftermarket Cat from auto zone yet????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All,

Also in Los Angeles, also had my catalytic converter stolen sometime this past week. I was out of town for a few days til yesterday, started up my car and yup, no more cat. It was parked on the street, never had any problems before. Called Southwest LAPD bureau, guy didn't even know what a catalytic converter was. Now, I didn't know either until mine got cut off, but if this is happening all over LA, you'd think the cops would know more about it?

Mostly just wanted to share my misery. I'm definitely going to get an anti-theft unit of some kind. I wonder if anyone has had issues after installing one? Just out of curiosity.

Wish I had known about the issue earlier, although at the time I probably would have balked at the price of protection. Oh hindsight...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
things like the cat clamp are a deterrent, not a solution or safety net. Like car stereo thefts of the 80'/90's, if they want it they will get it. When push comes to shove, if the police really wanted to crack down, they would simply no an internet search for scrap yards, likely in Sun Valley, and start calling around to find out how many cat converters are being sold as scrap by private parties and NOT shops. There is a paper trail as money is involved. If the thieves cant be caught in the act, they can at least be narrowed down via process of elimination, tailed and then caught in the act. Its just a matter of getting a detective involved. Before anyone chimes in with the "they have dangerous criminals to tend to vs..." a friend was just busted in a sting in Santa Monica for being an unlicensed handy man. There were no less than 30 LEO's involved in that, busting unlicensed handymen.

I have good friends that are LEO's and they all scoffed at that sting.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Also in Los Angeles, also had my catalytic converter stolen sometime this past week. ...f this is happening all over LA, you'd think the cops would know more about it?

Mostly just wanted to share my misery. I'm definitely going to get an anti-theft unit of some kind. I wonder if anyone has had issues after installing one? Just out of curiosity.
Thanks for reporting it. The more people that alert the local law enforcement, the more they will be aware of the problem, and might potentially get proactive. I know a bunch of "RAWRRRRR, SCREW THE PIGS!" people that hate cops so bad, they would rather be repeat victims than make a quick report after the first theft. My neighbor said he reported his, and according to our local office, they had no report when I was there taking care of something else. Why do I care? It was stolen out of the same spot where _I_ usually park.

I have no problems with my cat-clamp. I am getting more vibration than before, but I think I just need to crawl back under and use more zip ties.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for reporting it. The more people that alert the local law enforcement, the more they will be aware of the problem, and might potentially get proactive. I know a bunch of "RAWRRRRR, SCREW THE PIGS!" people that hate cops so bad, they would rather be repeat victims than make a quick report after the first theft. My neighbor said he reported his, and according to our local office, they had no report when I was there taking care of something else. Why do I care? It was stolen out of the same spot where _I_ usually park.

I have no problems with my cat-clamp. I am getting more vibration than before, but I think I just need to crawl back under and use more zip ties.

When I went into the station they said they had been hearing a lot of reports of this happening, so at least they know?

I think I'm going to pick up a cat-clamp, but does anyone have experience with the cat strap (www.catstrap.net)? It's a cleaner design, but I don't know if it's more effective.

21 - 40 of 141 Posts