Honda Element Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
When I went into the station they said they had been hearing a lot of reports of this happening, so at least they know?

I think I'm going to pick up a cat-clamp, but does anyone have experience with the cat strap (www.catstrap.net)? It's a cleaner design, but I don't know if it's more effective.
Mostly this is just visual deterrent 1st, mechanical deterrent 2nd. Sadly, I honestly think a fair amount of criminals are too stupid for deterrent to work. My uneducated opinion from just quick looking at strap pics and video:

1. Catstrap $159(+tax?) vs. Catclamp $128 (with code I posted in #25 above)
2. I like Catstrap alarm, but I'm suspicious of how the strap "talks to" the alarm, that it says is to be installed near battery. If the alarm is set off by cutting, you STILL have cut damage you have to repair. You want them deterred BEFORE they cut, not after. Maybe they cut starting on the UNstrap side/part of the cat. The strap looks like it talks wireless to the alarm. So can the transmitter just be destroyed, or batteries pulled out? Do you have to change the batteries yourself every year or so to keep it working? Lots of unanswered questions.
3. Catstrap: visible warning needs to be in more languages, and may not even be seen at night, underneath a car, or splattered with mud/dirt. Some info shows warning is PART OF strap, some show it almost like simple sticker.
4. Catstrap: FAQ says it's installed ON TOP OF(?) cat, where nobody would see it? Video shows it on top/side? So seriously, is it installed on top (unseen) or face down on bottom? If on top, the thief will still cut because he won't see it, and even if he stops, you have to pay to replace a cut up cat? Yes you can twist strap around cat, but how long is strap? Long enough to do that? If you wind it, the length of system it covers decreases, and maybe you just cut BEYOND the now shortened ends of the strap.
5. Catstrap is supposed to run between cat and heat shield. I don't think that has room on an Element. Or am I looking at the E wrong and there is NO heat shield?
6. Catstrap, what's up with the cheap metal ties on the main page, but the heavy duty "C" ties on some other pages? Which one shows up after you pay? If the C type, do you get a full set of different sizes to accommodate different exhaust sizes? The Catclamp gives a full set of pinching inserts to fit multiple size.
7. Catstrap looks like 6(?) small cables in the strap. Catclamp has 8 massive (by comparison) cables to cut, all pinched in place twice per run. It LOOKS LIKE all 6 Catstrap cables together would still have same/smaller diameter than ONE CatClamp cable.

Some of my points may be wrong. But I would personally go with a) cheaper, and b) more deterrent BEFORE cutting begins.

·
Registered
777 Posts
For those that recently got violated, a quick search on Cl pulled up someone selling a cat for our E... Coincidence?? I think not.

I have mine engraved with my VIN along with one other deterrent ;)

Cool cat clamp idea though, just pricy for what it is.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
i still think that one of the best ways of avoiding cat theft would be to put the vehicle on airbags and lower it to the ground when parked.
of course it might cause it to attract attention from other types of thieves and/or vandals.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
NBC 4 Los Angeles just did a story about Elements getting their cats stolen. Not sure if new, or prev. aired. Hopefully they post the video clip later. Basically, if you live in the Silverlake area, you're fuxxed. Cat clamp type devices recommended.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Our E just had it's cat stolen while parked in the driveway overnight in the Hollywood area. The muffler was damaged, so a new exhaust system is going in at a cost of $2400
Thankfully insurance is paying all but the $250 deductible. The Honda dealer repairing ours has 7 other Element in for the same issue and our insurance co claims adjuster has 6 other E's with the same occurrence. We are adding a Cat Clamp as future protection at the suggestion of the Honda of Hollywood Service Dept.
http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...Converter-Lock
The expensive parts that have to be replaced are the Cat Converter ($906 + $150 core charge), the muffler ($440), the tailpipe ($173), and the O2 Sensor ($173).

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Larry, see post #25 above for discount codes. Don't pay full price :). Also be diligent with the warranty process (install quick and send photos to them as proof.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Larry, see post #25 above for discount codes. Don't pay full price :). Also be diligent with the warranty process (install quick and send photos to them as proof.)
Legioss, thank you for the assistance of the discount, but the item was already ordered earlier today as the repair is to be completed by mid week next week, so the part's delivery date is important (the dealer has offered to install the device as part of the repair).

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
So, I got pulled over by a pack of local cops last night and learned the following:
1) Honda Element is their #1 most stolen vehicle
2) for the catalytic converter
3) the Cat Clamp is a great deterrent
4) but an alarm is equally important
5) because "the transponder key DOES NOTHING" (aka thieves can somehow bypass the immobilizer).
6) no, they aren't tow-stealing, they are somehow BYPASSING the immobilizer.
7) $&@%, there goes my sense of security with alarm and cat clamp.
8) cops are doing a great job, especially for us Element owners. Props.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
My nephew 08 E got his Cat stolen last night. The police said three other cars in the neighorbor hood also............:evil:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Scumbags got mine last night...Palms area, in front of my building. I find it very odd, another *xcolor* element parked RIGHT behind me later in the day and was gone before I left this morning. No note or anything! I'm going to have a chat with them, If I ever see it parked out in front of my place again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anyone have updates on cat clamp actually deterring theft?

if so please post when you installed and how long it's been since theft/ no theft. thanks!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Anyone have updates on cat clamp actually deterring theft?

if so please post when you installed and how long it's been since theft/ no theft. thanks!
Almost a year with car alarm, and cat clamp. No thefts. Maybe you should only ask for thefts WITH a clamp.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Scumbags got mine last night...Palms area, in front of my building. I find it very odd, another *xcolor* element parked RIGHT behind me later in the day and was gone before I left this morning. No note or anything! I'm going to have a chat with them, If I ever see it parked out in front of my place again.
Sorry about that. Ours was stolen on January 20th in Venice along with about 20 other Elements. The thieves returned to the area a week ago and many more were stolen. We now have a catclamp and park off street.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
sorry to make your day worse, but Atomic Blue Metallic was not available in 2003. perhaps you have Eternal Blue Pearl?

·
Registered
127 Posts
A bit off topic but, what's the process for getting a new cat if your old one is stolen?
Do you call the insurance company immediately? Is the car still drivable to an auto shop?

How long would it take to get fixed, and does the insurance company provide you with a rental car during that time?

I have full insurance btw

·
Registered
5 Posts
To those of you getting the car alarm.
Is the factory alarm sufficient or are you installing an aftermarket alarm. I'm only a few miles from the car theft hot spots and am looking into some preventative measures.

Thanks.

41 - 60 of 141 Posts