Honda Element Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
A bit off topic but, what's the process for getting a new cat if your old one is stolen?
Do you call the insurance company immediately? Is the car still drivable to an auto shop?

How long would it take to get fixed, and does the insurance company provide you with a rental car during that time?

I have full insurance btw
Well, let me till you what I did.

1) I filed a police report with the local LAPD.
2) Filed claim with my insurance
3) Called Honda dealership and talked with the service rep (very friendly lady at Airport Marina Honda)
4)Bought Cat Clamp from http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/ 15% off and total came to 144 or so. Due to arrive today. Honda will install the cat clamp when they replace the cat and missing o2's. I'm having my GF help me take it to Honda this afternoon. I'm going to attempt to drive it up to the dealership.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
26 Posts
To those of you getting the car alarm.
Is the factory alarm sufficient or are you installing an aftermarket alarm. I'm only a few miles from the car theft hot spots and am looking into some preventative measures.

Thanks.
I have an aftermarket alarm...not enough. Parking off street from now on with Cat clamp and alarm.

Update: So... A neighbor who witnessed from their balcony said, the scumbags parked right next to my E on the street, with the engine running. One person was under the auto, with an electric saw. Light colored two tone van ( white and tan?!? or just white WITH a sliding door for quick get away ). "Looked like something a mother would take her kids to school in" Had to have been older, due to the door.

Hope that will help!

Any updates please post

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Update: So... A neighbor who witnessed from their balcony said, the scumbags parked right next to my E on the street, with the engine running. One person was under the auto, with an electric saw. Light colored two tone van ( white and tan?!? or just white WITH a sliding door for quick get away ). "Looked like something a mother would take her kids to school in" Had to have been older, due to the door.

Just tell all that to the cops, including what TIME it happened. Any description, especially of the van, could catch the fuxxers.

Out of curiosity, were you parked driveway or curbside? I'd think it too difficult to get to the cat on the right side, if you are parked along a 6" or deeper curb on the right, blocking easy access.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sadly I've had two cats. Stolen from me wishing a 1 month period , I'm in the long beach area of Los Angeles county , it's happening every where these thieves have a chance. I went ahead a lowered my E , put side steps on , and going to be installing my catclamp in the next couple of days. Not that it's going to stop them , but hopefully deter them away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just tell all that to the cops, including what TIME it happened. Any description, especially of the van, could catch the fuxxers.

Out of curiosity, were you parked driveway or curbside? I'd think it too difficult to get to the cat on the right side, if you are parked along a 6" or deeper curb on the right, blocking easy access.
On the street, at the time of the crime. Curb was blocking the "right" curb side. Still got it in less than 3 min.

Yep..time was 3:02 am. I need to make a few updates to my initial report.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Sadly I've had two cats. Stolen from me wishing a 1 month period , I'm in the long beach area of Los Angeles county , it's happening every where these thieves have a chance. I went ahead a lowered my E , put side steps on , and going to be installing my catclamp in the next couple of days. Not that it's going to stop them , but hopefully deter them away.
Thanks for the info as a warning to others in your area. Please report to the police if you haven't done so already. I know a couple people that refuse to tell the police, then bitch about the police not doing anything. You (they) can't have it both ways.

I hadn't thought about lowering OR adding side steps as a deterrent. I applaud your intensity.

I had a friend recently suggest getting the cat [including pre and post pipes] wrapped in razor wire. He thinks that when it gets cut it will spring back out into large loop shape and cut up the thief. I told him he can try it on my car as long as HE installs the razor wire. For the ends, he said tap-weld it on. It may just collect a bunch of street trash that flies up while driving, but I'm going to let him try it if he puts his money where his mouth is.

On the street, at the time of the crime. Curb was blocking the "right" curb side. Still got it in less than 3 min.
That's just crazy. I don't even know how they can squeeze in there with a curb in the way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I sometimes park on the street overnight, so I'm probably going to invest in catclamp. Just hearing the stories of victims makes me think this would be a worthwhile purchase even though I think its an investment we shouldn't have to make.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I sometimes park on the street overnight, so I'm probably going to invest in catclamp. Just hearing the stories of victims makes me think this would be a worthwhile purchase even though I think its an investment we shouldn't have to make.

It sure is! Don't learn the hard way. It's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Catalytic converter theft, Greenpoint Brooklyn

WARNING - I had my converter sawed off of my '04 Element sometime between Tues and last night. My car was parked on Milton between Franklin and West.

I filed a police report, but the officers didn't really seem like it was something that had happened a lot recently so I am not sure if it will be isolated or not.

Heads up neighbors!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My CAT was recently stolen off of my 2008 Element SC. Such a pain. Had to file an insurance claim, pay $1000 deductible etc.

Looking to buy a catclamp asap. Does anyone have an opinion on or have experience with the difference between cataclamp standard and catclamp maxx?? I read that the differences are that the maxx is all stainless steel, with thicker wires, and has a lifetime warranty. Just wondering if it's worth the extra money...

Tips about any other anti theft devices etc. definitely welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is my first time posting btw, hi all! I feel for all of you that have also had a cat theft. I love my Element and hate being afraid to drive it now. Hopefully the catclamp works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Driving it isn't the problem. It's parking it.

$1000 deductible? Gosh, with all the money you saved in insurance premiums you should be able to afford a new cat...

Not going to waste my time explaining more of my situation just to argue with what you wrote. For sure you didn't read everyone's posts. Thanks a lot for going into a thread full of cat theft victims and people trying to help each, and kicking one of them when they're down. A fellow Element owner, in your own community, no less. Nice job.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'm sorry. I have just never heard of a $1000 deductible before.

I thought you were kidding.

I guess not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So some bastard decided to steal the catalytic converter from my 03 Element today. I usually take my company vanpool van, my E was parked at the park n ride parking lot. Obviously I'll get it fixed ASAP. but is it safe to drive? I dont think lowering helps either. My car was lowered and had aftermarket alarm. I am in Orange County btw.

61 - 80 of 141 Posts