Honda Element Owners Club banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Burbank Police did a sting and caught some catalytic converter thieves. Wish every SoCal police dept. would do this

If that was my city, a box of donuts would be on it's way to the station as we speak.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It wouldnt surprise me if these people arrested have stolen from people in this thread as thieves like this will target different cities to thin out the police focus. LA is a huge county. Not to put them all under the bus but night collecting metal scrappers are known to be thieves in and around Burbank. No doubt unless these people have any related priors they will walk with a fine and county jail time. Scumbags.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another one bites the dust...

Hi all,

My '05 Element had its cat stolen last night; it was parked curbside on Ocean Park Blvd in Santa Monica. Just moved here from Boston a week ago, talk about a welcome to the neighborhood.

Great to hear good things about the CatClamp, just ordered one myself. Luckily (?) the car had an appt this morning at the dealership to replace the recalled airbags, so it's chilling off street for a bit...filed a police report and insurance claim. There are a ton of Elements in this neighborhood, so I'm wondering if any others got hit...man, what an expensive pain.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Hi all,

My '05 Element had its cat stolen last night; it was parked curbside on Ocean Park Blvd in Santa Monica. Just moved here from Boston a week ago, talk about a welcome to the neighborhood.

Great to hear good things about the CatClamp, just ordered one myself. Luckily (?) the car had an appt this morning at the dealership to replace the recalled airbags, so it's chilling off street for a bit...filed a police report and insurance claim. There are a ton of Elements in this neighborhood, so I'm wondering if any others got hit...man, what an expensive pain.
Go into youre local PD and ask to speak with the officer handling your case. You will likely be directed to a detective. Bring a print out of the Burbank PD case above to make sure he is informed of these crimes and that other departments are doing something about it. This could prompt the detective to contact adjacent departments. Burbank PD realized this was a criminal issue and conducted a sting. Santa Monica has the man power to do this as well. Even more so as its a very traffic heavy area with lots of out of town visitors on a daily basis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had mine stolen back in April of this year. South Pasadena, street parked and alarmed right in front of my apartment. Cops said there was another theft that same night.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Had mine stolen back in April of this year. South Pasadena, street parked and alarmed right in front of my apartment. Cops said there was another theft that same night.
Alarm didn't go off? Was it OEM or something else? I may get a better one if you have same as me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alarm didn't go off? Was it OEM or something else? I may get a better one if you have same as me.
It had an after market alarm, but it didn't go off as I typically didn't enable the shock sensors due to loud / large trucks frequently passing on a busy street :/

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2003 cat was also cut off about 5 weeks ago in LA off of Gage and Alameda ave. There were 2 other Elements that had theirs taken at the same time. Broad daylight and these clowns had the nerve to do it in our office parking lot. Mind you our secretary was in her office and it was directly outside in her view. These people are selling them to Muffler shops for about 40-60 a pop. i had to fork out about $1940 for a new cat, muffler, rubber hangers and both o2 sensors. I have welded (4) #5 rebars in front and rear of the cat making it extremely hard to chop thru my exhaust now, hopefully this doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have welded (4) #5 rebars in front and rear of the cat making it extremely hard to chop thru my exhaust now, hopefully this doesn't happen again.

Huh. Sounds like a good idea. Surprised nobody else did that yet.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Surprised nobody else did that yet
Lots ppl have actually.

There are commercial products also:

http://www.cat-lock.com/

http://www.catclamp.com/

http://catstrap.net/

and I'm sure others...

Back in the day, when computer viruses were first coming out, many of us thought that the writers of the anti-virus programs were the perpetrators of the viruses... to create a market for their products.

Makes me wonder about these cat locks! :shock:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Back in the day, when computer viruses were first coming out, many of us thought that the writers of the anti-virus programs were the perpetrators of the viruses... to create a market for their products.
I still think that.

:shock:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Does having a side step prevent theives from stealing the cats? has anyone with side steps had their cats stolen?

I've just bought a cat clamp just incase...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Standard vs. Maxx

I know it's been asked before but does anyone know if the Maxx is really worth the extra $200? I got my CC converter stolen last week from my '06 Element. $2318 ($500 deductible). My mechanic said to buy the cat clamp, just the basic one.

I read on a review on the cat clamp website where someone claimed his insurance paid for it. I called mine up and they said they do not cover the cost of the clamp, and that also, any sort of device is pretty useless. They have covered countless numbers of these things, with or without security devices.

Sorry if I'm bringing down the room. I think having one would be better than not having one, myself, but I am curious if investing the extra $200 for the Maxx is worth it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
AAG Discount Code Bad

I just tried plugging in both the 20% off and 15% off codes on that catclamp website and all they gave me was 5%.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Does having a side step prevent theives from stealing the cats? has anyone with side steps had their cats stolen?
this was discussed above, or in the other cat theft thread. Or did they get merged? I've lost track.

I know it's been asked before but does anyone know if the Maxx is really worth the extra $200? I got my CC converter stolen last week from my '06 Element. $2318 ($500 deductible). My mechanic said to buy the cat clamp, just the basic one.

I read on a review on the cat clamp website where someone claimed his insurance paid for it. I called mine up and they said they do not cover the cost of the clamp, and that also, any sort of device is pretty useless.

Sorry if I'm bringing down the room. I think having one would be better than not having one, myself, but I am curious if investing the extra $200 for the Maxx is worth it.
I tried the insurance route and :xGEICO:x said they wanted to charge ME to insure the cat clamp, and couldn't care less about comping me anything for buying it.

The MAXX _IS_ better, but I would assume the thieves are just going to move on if they see ANY Cat Clamp. Unless they steal the WHOLE car, which gives them all the time they need to get through regular OR maxx. Yes, the WHOLE car. Cops are saying to have clamp AND alarm. There's also the option of getting TWO regular, just to get a 3rd collar section (like maxx), and you can split the cost with someone else who gets the other extra collar section.

I just tried plugging in both the 20% off and 15% off codes on that catclamp website and all they gave me was 5%.
Unless it has changed, try signing up for the site, for emails, account, whatever. They used to send a code for signing up, like a day or two after I think. Also you can check code sites like RetailMeNot for newer codes.

However, I bought another item recently, and they told me that manufacturer restrictions on some items prevented them from allowing full use of the discount. Try calling them and asking if you think the code is current, and it doesn't do what is advertised.

And if you haven't read above, please share a little info like what area, what time of day, anything else, about when or how yours was stolen. Removed? Cut off? And TALK TO THE COPS. Some thieves will REPEAT THE THEFT ON THE SAME CAR because they know where you are and that you probably have a brand new cat now. Maybe the whole street got hit, and if you tell the cops, they know they need to watch the area closer for a few weeks to prevent repeat hits. You never know unless you talk to them and ask.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine got stolen 7/3/2014 in our apartment parking lot in Upland,Ca. But my insurance said they wouldn't cover it because the car has 172500 miles on it and the cc is an expendable part and was no longer under the manufactures warranty of 8 years 80k miles. So now I'm with out a car as I don't have an extra 2500 laying around.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mine got stolen 7/3/2014 in our apartment parking lot in Upland,Ca. But my insurance said they wouldn't cover it because the car has 172500 miles on it and the cc is an expendable part and was no longer under the manufactures warranty of 8 years 80k miles. So now I'm with out a car as I don't have an extra 2500 laying around.
The CAR is out of warranty too, but it's covered.

You do have comprehensive insurance, correct?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yeah, that's total bull poop. I would be throwing that poop right back at them. Raise a stink, I don't think they can deny a theft claim as long as you've got theft on your policy.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts