Honda Element Owners Club banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yeah, that's total bull poop. I would be throwing that poop right back at them. Raise a stink, I don't think they can deny a theft claim as long as you've got theft on your policy.
Agreed. BS if covered.

Or if they try to write you a check for the car as a total loss (allegedly costs too much to repair), you will NOT be able to find a same-car replacement for the same price (within 30 days), so they have to keep upping the payout until you can. I wouldn't want to play that game though, unless they force it on you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They said that because the depreciated value of the catalytic converter (betterment clause) was less than the amount of the deductible under the policy ($500) than I would be left paying the rest out of pocket... so they basically said all they would cover was $7.53 of a $1600 quote. It was insult to injury... Wawanesa was the insurance company, I had been with them since I bought the E brand new in 2005. Talk about a slap in the face!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
They said that because the depreciated value of the catalytic converter (betterment clause) was less than the amount of the deductible under the policy ($500) than I would be left paying the rest out of pocket... so they basically said all they would cover was $7.53 of a $1600 quote. It was insult to injury... Wawanesa was the insurance company, I had been with them since I bought the E brand new in 2005. Talk about a slap in the face!
I think you should look at your policy like Jeffro suggested for "theft".

Another thought. WALK IN to a DIFFERENT auto insurer WITH your policy. Ask for a quote on coverage with THEM, and ask them for a favor and tell them your problem AND honestly say "whether Wawanesa was correct or not, I am NOT happy with their service and WILL be choosing new one once this is resolved". This is their chance to help you out, and make themselves look like a better option in the process, and hopefully win you as a future customer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Called insurance company

Though I am not in an area where CC theft is common, it is not unheard of. A quick search online found a story where all the cars in a repair lot had their CC's removed.

I thought it was worth a call to my insurance agent to see what their policy is. She did say if the cost of the repair was more than the value of the car, then they would total the car.

The agent is going to investigate and call me back. It will be interesting to hear what they say.

--tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
All these posts got be extremely paranoid now.
FYI--a few weeks ago my wife's company Element got hit in their parking lot.

I just went out with a flashlight and a packing blanket in the night to take a look under the vehicle on what they installed.

They had the cat replaced, but not with a stock Honda cat.
It looks like a Magnaflow cat--which is a high quality cat BTW.
And they welded flat stock around it to prevent it from being cut off again. And it works just fine.

FYI--yes, there are no "aftermarket bolt-in cat converters" available in California for the Element it seems.

But... any muffler shop will weld you up a (say a Magnaflow) cat with flanges that will bolt into your Honda. I did this a couple weeks ago with my 97 Odyssey when we discovered it was all busted up inside. The cost of installation of everything, plus an upstream O2 sensor was 300 hondos (cash).

The car passed smog with flying colors a couple hours later after I drove it 50 miles to let the computer get up to speed with the new sensor and cat.

The muffler shop I regularly use is...

Baja Mufflers
Corner of 135th Street and Inglewood Avenue in Hawthorne Ca.
Go and wave cash at the boss, and he will hook you up mass-rapido.

I also checked under my recently purchased element and it looks like it still has the stock converter underneath.... but since I am now paranoid about it being stolen, I am going to have some protection steel welded around this like my wife's company Element. I will post some photos of the wife's converter arrangement when I have access to the vehicle during daylight hours.

I think anyone going to a dealer for a "stock cat" at those crazy prices I am seeing is completely insane.
But then again some people are "purists" and will want a stock looking cat. But at over 1000k per copy from a dealer is allowing yourself to be gouged in the eye.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It was insult to injury... Wawanesa was the insurance company, I had been with them since I bought the E brand new in 2005. Talk about a slap in the face!

FYI--Wawaneasa is one of the WORST insurance companies on the face of this planet.

I had an accident with one of their insured back in June of this year (his fault BTW), and Wawa refused to respond to my company's investigator until the beginning of August... and then they somehow made the decision that the accident was my fault and they demanded a 6k payment for damages.

Of course my insurance company immediately threw it into arbitration--and forwarded them a witness statement... and then at the end of August they came back with a determination that their client was actually at fault.

Now it is like pulling teeth to get them to issue a statement regarding their decision.

My company's investigator has other claims with Wawa, and he is having the same problems with them regarding response times--or lack of responding.

Wawaneasa is a company filled with corporate scum-bags.

I am covered by Tokyo Marine Insurance... best company in the USA FYI.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Catalytic Converter Stolen!

After many years of hearing about these sorts of things happening, I finally woke up to find my E was much louder than it was before.

Checked underneath, and sure'nuff.

So. Anyone had experience with replacing a converter? It was sawz-all'd clean out, so I'm imagining I'll have to replace the whole thing.

This was in Ballard, in Seattle. Of all places. Not a huge crime area, but I guess it has it's aspirations.

Also - everyone in Seattle - the Greenwood Tool LIbrary was broken into the same night and all the power tools went missing. I'm certain this isn't a coincidence, so if you have noticed anything, report it. And start caging your converters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
well...only after a couple of weeks of ownership, my cat was stolen today/last night. the irony, i was shopping for an alarm to be installed over the weekend. when i get it back, alarm and catclamp will be installed immediately.

for those in west la, it's still high target!

·
Registered
205 Posts
> local shop
Might help if you added your location (Los Angeles, yes?) to your profile.
I thought posting in a Southern California thread was close enough. But if the answer is a chain location it would not matter either. But yes in Los Angeles is close enough.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
must be a west coast thing, in 30+ yrs in the business i
never had or heard of a customer having their converter
stolen. i didn't even know it was a thing until i read it on
here !

factory HID light assemblies on Acura, Lexus, Infinity, etc.
being stolen was a thing a few yrs back but even that seemed
to die off.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cat Clamp

I can't find the post now, but somebody said a local shop will weld some sort of cage on it for $40? Would love referral info please.
If your Element is stock height, you're an easy target for your cat to be stolen.
First buy your Cat Clamp and ask around your area to have it installed.

I got my Cat Clamp installed on my Black E, by Whittier Mufflers by Hugo Castro. He will give you a good deal since he's installed it once and he knows how.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If your Element is stock height, you're an easy target for your cat to be stolen.
First buy your Cat Clamp and ask around your area to have it installed.

I got my Cat Clamp installed on my Black E, by Whittier Mufflers by Hugo Castro. He will give you a good deal since he's installed it once and he knows how.
I wasn't talking about the clamp thing, just a rebar cage or prevention.

I had mine done at the following place. Welded a rebar bent along in and out of cat. Can't remember exact price because they put a new exhaust tip on for me too at same time.

Speedway Muffler (Norco, CA)
https://www.yelp.com/biz/speedway-muffler-norco

101 - 120 of 137 Posts