Honda Element Owners Club banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
had mine stolen this week. concidering how easy it is to get to, i'm thinking of selling the damn car now that they know where i live

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow. A co-worker of mine who has a 2005 E was just telling me about this. I mentioned I was looking for an Element, and she commented the only bad thing about them, is the Cat converter, and that I might be replacing more than once. I asked why, and she said "because they get stolen all the time".:shock:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
...and she said "because they get stolen all the time".:shock:
so when a cat converter thief pulls up and scoots under the car, he discovers there's already someone under there removing it?
to be continued.... <grin>

·
Registered
56 Posts
so when a cat converter thief pulls up and scoots under the car, he discovers there's already someone under there removing it?
to be continued.... <grin>
Where I am from in SoCal, you never know. Cats from other cars (primarily Toyotas for some reason) have been removed from cars in my semi-secured parking structure at work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
? Mine got hit last night. After having parked by my friend?s house in which the neighborhood is supposedly nicer than mine.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thought I'd post this in sympathy for those who've lost parts of their loved ones.

-------------------------------------------------

So, the cat converter thief crawls under an Element that's been sitting for weeks, untouched. Obviously, the owner's not around - prime target, eh? He drives around the block a few times, scoping it out, then parks behind the soon-to-be victim. Slipping out with his saw, he drops to the ground and slides in far enough to get the blade around the first pipe. The saw begins to chop in to the soft metal with ease.

A giant nest of paper wasps becomes perturbed by the sudden shaking of their nest which is covering most of the backside of the convertor housing. They decide to come out and welcome their new neighbor.

The thief becomes aware of his error in judgement about the same time that a few hundred pointy things start crawling all around every bit of exposed skin and reminding him that this particular bit of God's Earth is already taken.

At some point, the screaming and wailing and rapid flopping around motion underneath the Element turns in to a vaguely human-shape figure which bursts out of the yellow specked cloud now surrounding practically everything. The figure does a wild, slapping, happy-dance around in the middle of the street while the startled police who've been watching his attempted theft from down the block try to figure out exactly WHAT, if anything, to do now.

The figure scoots back and, after lots of fumbling and screaming at the door to his vehicle (it apparently has some kind of voice controled opener that doesn't like swearing) he manages to get inside and close the door again. To the eyes of any outside observer, it's quite obvious that he brought a generous supply of wasps inside with him, which he finally figures out after a performance which would earn the mirror ball on Dancing With The Stars. He jumps back out and makes his way, screaming, across the lawn and jumps a low wooden fence, trying to hide behind it.

He fails to notice the large german sheapherd sitting on the back porch. The dog wonders who this fool is who has just violated his turf. The dog verbally expresses his earnest desire for the thief to find another hiding place from really-really close... until he suddenly realizes that the wasps have decided this is still too close. He wisely goes inside the house through his doggy door. German Sheapherds are very smart dogs. This one knows he's not needed.

The police officers decide to simply wait it out from the protection of their closed vehicle while trying unsuccessfully to keep a professional attitude and not bust out laughing. It takes nearly an hour before the thief crawls back out and carefully gets back in his car... only to have the police car drive slowly up beside him.

In all fairness, one of the doctors in the emergency room turns out to be the owner of the Element. It's amazing what can be done with a caring smile when somebody feels guilty...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Location: Santa Monica/West LA border 90404 near Wilshire/Centinela

My catalytic converter was stolen at end of February (2020) and it cost $2900 at Kondo Motors to replace the converter, O2 sensor, and AF ratio sensor.

Stolen a second time this week (between April 13 - 17 2020). Assuming the costs will be the same. Plus I learned that auto deductible is per incident not per year like medical, so another $500 out the window. Yipee!

Will be researching the CatClamp etc. on this forum, thanks everyone who posted advice & install writeups.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Santa Monica PD sponsors a free VIN engraving service for cats. They set up specific event days to do it. No idea if they will keep doing it when lockdown ends. SM PD is very active in regards to cat theft. They have literally pulled me over, in my E late at night, as a suspected E/cat thief. ?

As always, make sure the PD in the theft area are aware of the theft. I have family and friends that bitch and moan about police not doing anything, but the PD is often unaware of where/when the problem is spiking because the same people refuse to report anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, I'll keep my eyes peeled for that event. I did report both thefts but with everything going on pretty sure they won't be in hot pursuit of suspects any time soon :/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Following up with a pic from the CatClamp install. For those of you in LA, Kondo Motors in Santa Monica installed it with no apparent issues. It took about an hour but they rolled it into the overall labor for the catalytic converter install which they did at the same time. Pic below. I've read in some reviews these are noisy/rattle a lot but I don't hear anything so I think it depends on the install.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My catalytic converter was stolen at end of February (2020) and it cost $2900 at Kondo Motors to replace the converter, O2 sensor, and AF ratio sensor.

Stolen a second time this week (between April 13 - 17 2020). Assuming the costs will be the same. Plus I learned that auto deductible is per incident not per year like medical, so another $500 out the window. Yipee!

Will be researching the CatClamp etc. on this forum, thanks everyone who posted advice & install writeups.

Does that clamp make a lot of noise is it easy to install

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,118 Posts
Following up with a pic from the CatClamp install. For those of you in LA, Kondo Motors in Santa Monica installed it with no apparent issues. It took about an hour but they rolled it into the overall labor for the catalytic converter install which they did at the same time. Pic below. I've read in some reviews these are noisy/rattle a lot but I don't hear anything so I think it depends on the install.
View attachment 205226
Thanks for posting the photo. The CatClamp looks like it would be a very effective deterrent!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost installed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for posting the photo. The CatClamp looks like it would be a very effective deterrent!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost installed?
The catclamp cost $184 including tax & free shipping from Auto Accessories Garage. The mechanic included the install for free when I got my second catalytic converter installed., likely feeling sorry for me for having to do it twice in a couple months. I would guess an hour labor, whatever the labor charge is in your area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does that clamp make a lot of noise is it easy to install
No noise at all for me (though I've read other reviews saying it rattled a lot). Could be how well it's installed - I imagine if you do it too loosely it would rattle. The mechanic said it wasn't really hard but to do it right you need the car up on racks and to be able to bend the cable which I guess required a bit of strength.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Element SC
8 Posts
Someone Sunday night/Monday mourning cut off and stole my catalytic converter. My E was parked in front of my house. At first I thought it someone that going to sell the precious metal that is in them. But after calling around different muffler shops it appears to be a dealer only item in this great state of California. Even Auto zone carries about ten of them none of which can be sold or used on any California registered Elements. This is a $2260.00 claim with my insurance. My element is an 04 and still no after market catalytic, its B.S.
Be aware people.............................:x
Same thing just happened to me !! What did you do???

121 - 139 of 139 Posts