Honda Element Owners Club banner

141 - 144 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,177 Posts
Welcome to the EOC Jennifer Eaton.

I like your idea. Make it near impossible for the scumbag thief to get the convertor without tearing up their skin.

I read here on another post that the recyclers are only paying like $60 for a factory convertor and $15 for an aftermarket one. So not only are the thieves scumbags, they are stupid as well. And these recyclers are just as guilty as the thieves. If the police and prosecutors were doing their jobs, they would be put out of business.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for thieves. Your idea is the best "deterrent" that I have heard yet! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well this finally happened to me over the weekend. E was parked on the street on the side of my house Friday night after we got home from paddle boarding and dinner. Then went to drive it yesterday to do some more paddle boarding...turned over to a LOUD exhaust. I knew immediately what had happened. Stepped out...looked under....CAT gone.

They at least didnt cut the exhaust so don't have to replace that and they cut in front of the front o2/LAF (something L, air fuel ratio) sensor. Filed a police report and called my insurance. $500 deductible to get this part. I've found it new for $750ish from Honda....is it even worth trying to find a used one at a junk yard? I mean they seemed to at least leave me with a 'easy' repair. Remove the existing sensor...remove the front pipe....remove the rear flange. Install new CAT and sensors. Done.

Figure between the actual O2 sensor that they cut that was in the CAT, plus the CAT itself will easily be >$500. Maybe I just suck it up and pay the $500 for new parts instead of used ones.

Likely looking into get a skid made to cover it so it deters future thieves and also works as a skid/protector for those off the beaten path drives. Just worry that the exhaust will hit the plate when it flexes. Saw the CATClamp things but do I really have to resort to putting that rats nest on my car? Already installing cameras on the side of the house where the E sits or maybe convince the GF to park her Hyundai outside and the E inside our gated driveway.

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
654 Posts
Where are you finding an OEM one for $750? Last time I checked, list price was >$2000. I don't think salvage yards sell used converters, so you're going to have to go either new OEM or aftermarket. There is a guy on facebook who supposedly sells a welded metal cage to discourage theft, but I'm not on facebook and don't recall his name.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 18160-PZD-A00 Exhaust Converter: Automotive Trusty Amazon. Though for some reason they won't ship to California...

Its ok. AAA is taking care of me. Towing the E to the dealership this morning. I envision a 2 week process...maybe more since its a holiday week next week. Arrives at dealership today, adjuster scheduled to evaluate damage (Cat with new hardware and flanges + O2 sensor only IMO after crawling under there), approve work, order CAT (doubt these are in stock at the dealer), wait for parts, install, done?

141 - 144 of 144 Posts