Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look out all element owners! I just had my car towed today because I have been driving it for a few days smelling something funny and today as I was driving I watched my gas gauge go from half full to empty before my eyes!
My gas line broke, had a crack in it and finally gave way. I will tell you I live in the city, and at no time did I drive over anything that I didn't have enough clearance at the bottom. When they came to tow my car, the driver told me this is the second time he has seen this happen! What is going on???I know that tank is low and has protection, but now we have to worry about the lines going??
I am very frustrated with the whole thing, especially since when I called my dealer, he told me that it "might" be covered under warranty! What is up with all this?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am finding it hard to believe that something this wrong has been viewed 69 times and NO ONE has a comment! If this was a defect in the line, this is a MAJOR hazard!!! I could have been blown up in my car for the amount of gas that was spilling out while I drove. Believe me, I am in love with my Element too, but after this, I am wondering what else might happen. BTW, the mechanic working on my car assured me so far that it is the gas line, and not a crack in the tank. As of this moment, he is not sure what happened to it. Also, just to let others know, this was more than likely leaking before it blew, and I can tell you I was not one of those people who gets "great" mileage on a tank of gas. i am starting to wonder how long it was going on. I am also wondering that if this is a defect, it might be why some of us get better mileage than others.....

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Your right Phillyelement, it is a major concern. But I think most people have the attitude the "it can't happen to me" Like the windshield, the first couple of cracks were no big deal. Then more people got them and it turned in to a major problem. I am sure that if someone else has the same problem it will quickly turn into something big.

I will be checking under my element because I have also been worrried about my milleage. Thanx for the post.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That's scary... I'm sure alot of us will be checking for signs of this. If this is a manufacturing or part quality defect, it will cause a mandatory recall. Please keep us informed, Phillyelement, and sorry that this happened to you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey all,
I just got my E back and guess what? They told me that it was a gas line that had never been connected properly when my car was built!!! And by the way, I took it to a Honda dealership!! This came straight from the service man. I pitched a b#tc& about it and nobody seemed to be concerned. I will write a letter to Honda and told them I would be doing this. They didn't want me to, but I told them that I was because maybe the factory isn't installing ANY of them properly, and maybe this would save somebody's life! If I were a smoker, I'd be dead right now. I told them that I would be telling as many people as I could. They did fix it for free, but they didn't seem to think that ANYONE in the world would have this problem but me.
AND, I am getting better gas mileage already (believe it or not)
Just keep an eye out. If someone tells me what part of the VIN tells who made the car, I'll post mine so those who have the same factory built can check their E's. Maybe its a lazy person on the line there.
:evil:

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would also suggest to Honda that they should reimburse you for some of the gas you have lost, as well as for any damage that was caused to your driveway. Gas rots asphalt quite quickly, and leaves a bit of a stain on concrete.

I will try to make a mental note to ask the dealer to check the fitting before taking posession of my "E".

Thanks! And good luck!

Iskie

·
Registered
94 Posts
philly,

i also drive my E in philadelphia and even though you found out it was a manaufacturer's defect, driving in the city streets is definately brutal on the E (or any car for that matter). BTW, i got mine at philadelphia honda and i wasn't to crazy about their customer service.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dexter,
I understand where you are coming from, I have been driving in Philly for 20 years. But when the service mechanic tells you that a gas hose was improperly connected, i.e. not tightened enough, you have to believe that a little more than driving in the city streets for 1800 miles total is responsible for the flaw in my E. He told me it had nothing at all to do with my driving, this was an absolute defective install. And this guy works for Honda at my dealership!!
I have had 8 cars in my lifetime, including a piece of crap Kia, and nothing like this has ever happened. I had a prelude and a camry both with over 240,000 city and highway miles, and nothing like this ever happened to these cars. And neither one of those were 4X4's with extra clearance! I lost a half of a tank of gas in under 7 minutes, do you know how scary it is to think someone could have flicked a cigarette into the street and my car would have been up in flames with me in it?? The city streets might be brutal on a car, but I would expect my gas lines to stay intact no matter what, unless I was four wheeling on rocks and hills and could cause some under carriage damage. Maybe a hole in my gas tank would be more like what you are talking about, but this was just not the case. I hope you are never in the situation I was in, and if it is a defect, I will make sure no one else will have to worry about it. I am writing Honda to inform them of this matter, so that they make more precaution to ensure this doesn't happen in the future. My dealership also told me that from now on they will be inspecting this on ALL E's they deliver. This is a case of more than just a little rough driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check your manual about towing the Element.
FLAT BED TOWING ONLY!!! :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, but you gotta remember that these cars are just the sum of their parts, and that manufacturing snafu's do happen.

I've had a noisey front right strut, has anyone noticed that?

Other than that - it seems we are all doing pretty good for a radical new body style and a new model year!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for posting the info on the gas-line issue (I will check mine tomorrrow!). I am sorry to say that most of the problems people here are reporting are related to assembly-line foul-ups. Since this car is manufactured in Ohio (and not Tokyo) I think it says something about the lack of pride we Americans have come to have in our work. Shame-shame!
:?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hank,

I respectfully disagree.

This is a first year car and you have to maintain some sense of perspective on the issues reported relative to the total number vehicles on the road and whether they are unique to the Element (design), or to the manufacturing facility (process, tooling, inspection, suppliers, logistics, training, personnel, infrastructure), or to Honda (design architecture, corporate culture, politics, etc.).

I wouldn't be so quick to harshly judge the workmanship of the American worker. Many overseas carmakers have facilities in the US and their quality stands up very well. Personally, I have owned and driven Toyotas, Hondas and BMWs made both in their native country and in the US without any difference of overall quality, attention to detail, or fit and finish.

There are now over 1300 members of the EOC and there is exactly *one* report of the fuel line issue. There are more people on other forums, and thousands more than that on the road. An issue this serious would not go unreported.

The two problems that anecdotally have been most frequently mentioned here are the windshield (that appears to be either design, manufacturing process or tooling related) and the scratchability of the plastic panels (materials).

The US workforce is far and away the most productive and efficient in the world. They work more hours per day and more days per year than the workforce of any other industrialized nation. Certainly, quality varies by company and product. But to indict the workers of an entire nation based on an anecdotal sampling of perceived problems strikes me as a bit careless and a cheap shot.

I am not blindly pro-US, this country has many warts. On the other hand, Hank, I simply cannot let a statement like yours go without responding.

·
Registered
66 Posts
aren't these things made in ohio?
we all know that nothing good comes out of ohio!

just kidding, love our element. sounds like a rare case.
(hopefully it is...if not, they'll correct it.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
'The US workforce is far and away the most productive and efficient in the world. They work more hours per day and more days per year than the workforce of any other industrialized nation. Certainly, quality varies by company and product. But to indict the workers of an entire nation based on an anecdotal sampling of perceived problems strikes me as a bit careless and a cheap shot. '

We only know our strengths now as a result of failure and re-learning after Japan's model.

Wouldnt say an assumption based from US Auto products from 70s 80s 90s would be careless or a cheap shot. But, to each their own.

·
Registered
204 Posts
[quote:319eb543b8="3N00B"]We only know our strengths now as a result of failure and re-learning after Japan's model.

Wouldnt say an assumption based from US Auto products from 70s 80s 90s would be careless or a cheap shot. But, to each their own.[/quote:319eb543b8]

I agree. My comment was regarding the present day, not over time or historically. The US workforce has evolved and adapted very significantly over time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
[quote:c7bbf99ae1="dexter19"]philly,

i also drive my E in philadelphia and even though you found out it was a manaufacturer's defect, driving in the city streets is definately brutal on the E (or any car for that matter). BTW, i got mine at philadelphia honda and i wasn't to crazy about their customer service.[/quote:c7bbf99ae1] I GOT MY "E" IN PARAMAS HONDA IN N.J. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM DEPLOYED WITH THE ARMY, IN MARYLAND.. I NOW GO TO HAGERSTOWN HONDA... THESE GUYS R GREAT. I WISH I WOULDVE BOUGHT MY 'E' FROM THEM!

·
Registered
12 Posts
[quote:ce7d2937f3="dexter19"]philly,

i also drive my E in philadelphia and even though you found out it was a manaufacturer's defect, driving in the city streets is definately brutal on the E (or any car for that matter). BTW, i got mine at philadelphia honda and i wasn't to crazy about their customer service.[/quote:ce7d2937f3] I GOT MY "E" IN PARAMAS HONDA IN N.J. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM DEPLOYED WITH THE ARMY, IN MARYLAND.. I NOW GO TO HAGERSTOWN HONDA... THESE GUYS R GREAT. I WISH I WOULDVE BOUGHT MY 'E' FROM THEM!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't post such disparaging remarks about the US workforce. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time. Even in Sweden or Japan. I think the flaw is management and quality control. Quality control should have caught the flaw.

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:aa6a572827="ElementalWon"]I wouldn't post such disparaging remarks about the US workforce. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time. Even in Sweden or Japan. I think the flaw is management and quality control. Quality control should have caught the flaw.[/quote:aa6a572827]

I agree it's far more of a management issue than a nationality issue. Good management will not settle for a poorly made product no matter where it's made geographically.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yes everyone has their flaws even the Germans who suposably make the best engineered cars, hense "German Engineering". VW's lately have been pretty bad, the Golf's, Beetles and Jetta's have had such bad writeups in Consumer Reports that they could not even reccomend these cars because their reliability has gone down the tubes. I had one and it was a very bad car so the moral of this story is that there are times that manufacturers go through bad times with their products no matter which country they are in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts