Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2003 Element EX front washer fluid pump has failed three times in the past two and half years. There was no problem with the rear pump. Has anyone faced similar problem? Eventhough he dealer has replaced the pump free of charge, I still feel frustated. Any input or feedback is appreciated.

snbharathi

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Re: Washer fluid pump failure

That's a new one on me.
A few questions though...

How often do you use it?

Do you run out of fluid often?

Do you often find yourself trying to use it when it is out of fluid?

The reason I ask is prolonged use without fluid in the system can damage the pump.
(Like holding the lever when your pretty much out of fluid trying to squeeze every last drop out of it.)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Windshield Washer No Workee

The front washer doesn't work - can't hear the pump or anything when I hit the switch. The back one works fine - isn't it the same pump? I thought it was, and if it were that would mean the fault was in the switch itself, no?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: Windshield Washer No Workee

Nope, separate pumps. And the fuse that handles it also handles the wipers. So if the wipers work, and there is no sound from the pump... the pump is probably toast. Dealer time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The windshield wiper motor and the winshield washer share the same fuse 20A. if the windshield wipers work than there should be power to the windshield washer motor. it's fuse #20 under the dash.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks

It appears that the washer motor is toast. I have ordered an exact replacement from Advance Auto for $20. If they stock this thing for a model that is only 3 years old, then I know that there is a problem nationwide with the squirty motor. Each day I become more and more dissatisfied with Honda. I am now in the market to replace two other cars in my family and honda in not even in the running. Damn shame. After the $1200 brake job at 50,000 miles, my next car will probably be a Plymouth Town & Country Van.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Windshield washer pump (front)

Have many owners had a problem with the front windshield washer pump failing? Ours needed to be replaced at 66,000 miles and no it did not freeze up. Cost of replacement= labor & parts - $ 134.35

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Edselhead said:
Cost of replacement= labor & parts - $ 134.35
Truthfully? And not being a smart-ass here... but if you're going to take the vehicle to the dealer for minor repairs like this, you had better be prepared to pay the price. I can buy that pump for $30 and replace it about a half-hour, most of which is removing/installing the front right wheel-well liner.

Dealer service of any kind is expensive. Two recent first-hand experiences:

I had just replaced the clutch on our Miata. Shortly afterwards, the starter became intermittent. I had injured a hand (also afterwards), so took it (the Miata) to the Mazda dealer to investigate. They found (and fixed) nothing, yet charged me $100. Back home, 10 minutes with a mirror and flashlight found a loose nut on the main cable lug. Fixed. With one hand.

The state I used to live in required vehicle inspections. I took my Explorer to the dealer, and they found that the high-beam indicator in the dash was burned out. They offered to fix it (and pass my inspection) for $125. It was a 15-minute job to pull the dash cluster, and the bulb was 89¢.

A couple of lessons here. The primary one is that stuff fails, and little stuff like a windshield washer pump is going to be an early failure, I don't care what make of car it is. The second is that if you're not mechanically-inclined, take the minor repairs to the corner mechanic, who in this case would have charged probably $60-75.

·
Registered
756 Posts
You know I was wondering if you had to take the bumper off. By accessing this through the wheel well it should take tyou like 20 minutes. It souns like the dealer was ripping you off!

PS...You might want to change the wiper fluid brand. Maybe something in that one is eating up something in the motor.

John

·
Mod-erator
4,573 Posts
Just changed my front wiper motor tonight. I pulled the front nose off to do mine which only took about 10min. to pull and about 30-35 min to change motor, and 10 to put nose back on......I was taking my time too.

I didn't drain the fluid before just had a catch pan underneath so when I pulled the motor off the washer fluid wouldn't spill everywhere. It's very easy to do and took me total of an hour.....wouldn't see this taking more than 30 min. for a dealership to do.....so anything over 30-60min. of work I think they're taking advantage of you. But then again it's so easy I think everyone could do this themselves. :D

Before I put everthing back together I tested the motor to make sure it worked and the problem wasn't electrical. You also have to make sure to pull the rubber gasket off the old motor and put it on the new one. I will say taking off the front nose makes this a no-brainer....very easy access! :D

·
Mod-erator
4,573 Posts
Yeah why pay 5-6 times the money for something you can do yourself. As long as you have a garage to put it in (if you live in the cold) you can easily do this yourself in about an hour.

Also if you go to the dealer mine as been good about matching the prices that majestic has. I usually just print out their price and take it in....they've matched everything or have come very close to it. :D

·
Registered
997 Posts
Find a place to park indoors for an hour or two. You'll find that the antifreeze fluid has evaporated and there is an ice blockage, possibily at the nozzles end. Methinks it has been very cold these last few days? Besides, that 20° fliud at WalMart is not a precision mix for .$94, and I'll wager there is much variablity.

·
Mod-erator
4,573 Posts
Mark may be right it may just be froze up. It's been below zero here with the windchill around -25 :shock:

You don't have to be mechanically inclined to do this fix....Lord knows I'm not the most inclined myself :rolleyes: If it is out, you can order the part from Majestichonda.com and save yourself the trip. And my 03's nose may have never been removed and I didn't break any clips at all....only chipped a couple on the bottom but they were still usable. Some of the bottom clips I didn't even remove (center ones), just folded the nose down to work on the washer motor and folded it back up.

Whatever the case may be good luck :D

·
Mod-erator
4,573 Posts
If you can hear your pump working then it's probably within the tubing. Either they are plugged or not connect tight enough to create a seal.

There are two motor pumps one for the front and one for the back window.

·
Registered
78 Posts
has anyone got the part from rockauto it seems they have them for pretty cheap. It seems like the rear has failed as well because that is not working either. I have a full tank of fluid but still nothing. I have a grill guard and really would like to not have to pull that off and the front off as well is there any other way to get to this SOB? It seems I also have the dreaded rear differential issue as well. I have a 2004 Element with 50000. Thanks for you help!

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1425530,parttype,8840,partGroup,35

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
a bump and a pump

My pump didn't fail but... It was snowy out and I was pulling into my street having a conversation with a passenger in my vehicle, and admittedly not paying enough attention to the road. I was going maybe 20 mph taking the corner a little too tight when I rubbed against the snowy bank on the right. When I say rubbed, I mean ever so slightly rubbed, not a thump or direct hit, a slight rub. I pulled into the driveway and got out to see the windshield washer fluid draining all over the driveway. I had initially thought I crimped the plastic reservoir causing it to crack. I later found out that it was in fact the pump. Cost of the pump $75, labor $100. Funny thing, the reservoir part cost was $120, lucky for me I guess.

The service technician told me that the pump is located about a 1/2 inch from the front bumper so it literally doesn't take much to damage it. I remarked, that's well built. The tech said, yeah, no comment on that one.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts