Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After some unsuccessful searches, I unfortunately have to start a new thread about this.

My low washer fluid indicator came on yesterday, so I filled up the reservoir. I was able to put a bottle and a quarter in (how big is the reservoir??) last night. This morning, I then noticed that the indicator light was still on. I checked, and I could still see blue from the fluid in the reservoir. There was no longer any in the neck leading down though, and I'm pretty sure I had filled it to the top (could be wrong). I then backed up the car and checked for blue snow underneath, but didn't find any indication of a big leak.

Any ideas on how to reset this indicator, or should it happen on its own? I will check again for leaks, but if there isn't any, is there some sensor that could be faulty? Is this a common problem? With my older VW, leaks around the reservoir were a common issue. How big is the reservoir?

Your help is appreciated,

Thanks

·
Registered
872 Posts
in decator hmm, I'm in florida not decator alabama:lol: but I just filled mine a little over a jug, I never saw a low light, I didnt know there was one,mine stoped squirting so I filled it, now it squirts again.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
If I remember correctly the low washer fluid indicator is only a Canadian model thing.

Regardless, I do believe it was a simple float switch, so assuming you don't have a leak, and you dumped a jug plus in there the light should go out on it's own. Maybe possibly could the fluid have partially frozen or hung up mechanically?

Surly you guys up North wouldn't have tried to dilute the stuff, right? :roll:

But yea to answer your question, the dang reservoir is a big one. It will take a US gal. jug of cleaner easy. I'm willing to bet 9 out of 10 E owners scratch their heads and look down (or under) trying to see where the heck it all went.

·
12,179 Posts
Time for a new level sensor. You will have to either pull off the front cover or remove the passanger side inner fender liner to get to it. If you are going to change it you may wan't to wait till the bottle is near empty since you will lose all your blue juice as soon as you remove it.

Expect to pay about $95 plus taxes for the sensor.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'd suggest whack it, or go over some train tracks a few times to see if it is in need of help & not realy dead.if that dont work either dish out the cash or do the wizzard of oz thing (do not pay any attn. to the man(insert indicitor where man is)behind the curtain(insert on the dash) sorry I'm bord it,s 36 deg in florida.:shock:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies so far, folks. I don't think there is much pink fluid mixed in with the blue, because it isn't coming out purple ;) I also started putting blue in at the end of summer, well in advance of winter knowing that it will take a while to be "pure" enough to survive the cold. But, it is pretty damn cold here lately, often hitting -20 C. I'm scraping chunks of blue ice off of the windshield where the fluid mixes with snow and freezes. I have contemplated parking in an underground garage for a few hours to see if letting the car thaw out will fix the problem. If it doesn't, then I'll ignore it until spring when i can try and fix it myself.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far, folks. I don't think there is much pink fluid mixed in with the blue, because it isn't coming out purple ;) I also started putting blue in at the end of summer, well in advance of winter knowing that it will take a while to be "pure" enough to survive the cold. But, it is pretty damn cold here lately, often hitting -20 C. I'm scraping chunks of blue ice off of the windshield where the fluid mixes with snow and freezes. I have contemplated parking in an underground garage for a few hours to see if letting the car thaw out will fix the problem. If it doesn't, then I'll ignore it until spring when i can try and fix it myself.
Or just wait until next week, when the weather warms up a bit, and see if it loosens up. (Weather for Toronto area is calling for plus 7 C by next Thursday.

It's probably the sensor, and as RamblerDan said, it's probably a good idea to replace the pump while your in there (it's $20 at CTC for the universal pump...and easy to replace - I just did mine 2 months ago)

The reservoir is actually very big - will hold a whole jug when filling from empty - and the Canadian version has the sensor and a heater if I'm not mistaken...

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Guys? I'm not familiar with how Honda did it but is there any chance some snow could've pulled a wire loose? It might be just to plug it back on or clean a corroded contact.

·
12,179 Posts
Guys? I'm not familiar with how Honda did it but is there any chance some snow could've pulled a wire loose? It might be just to plug it back on or clean a corroded contact.

The bottle is pretty well protected. These sensors have a history od failure..just like the pumps.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EXS
192 Posts
Washer pump reservoir/tank

Just went to fill up the washer fluid tank since it is empty. As I start pouring fluid in, it starts pouring out the bottom. I think someone backed into my bumper and therefore cracked the tank. Anybody know the part # for the tank? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EXS
192 Posts
Ramblerdan- Thank you for the quick reply. I just checked the price. Did not think a large plastic container would be $94 shipped. Good call on replacing the pump. Since my fluid seemed to just pour out through the bottom, maybe the pump feed became disconnected? Will take the bumper off and check it out. Thanks, D

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EXS
192 Posts
Washer fluid

Update - had a chance to take bumper off past weekend. Container was not cracked. Pump was dislodged from container when someone backed into me or when I hit some deep snow. Cleaned the contacts while I was in there and added some fluid. All better now. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No washer fluid

I did not hit anything or have an accident. Didnt have fluid, went to fill and all was on the ground. Cant figure how to get at it to see if tube is unattached or something? How do I get at it?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Elliehyde.

You can access the reservoir to troubleshoot the problem by removing the front fascia (what Honda calls the "bumper") from the car. Alternately, you could pull back the passenger side fender liner.

Page 2 of the OEM fog light installation instructions show how to remove the bumper: http://www.handa-accessories.com/element/elementfogs.pdf

Also see:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47761&d=1203949663

Washer fluid pump failure, front & back

1 - 19 of 19 Posts