Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not an Issue I deal with much in Vegas, but I was curious. How deep can you safely take an E in the water. The Air intake is fairly high but i doubt the designers made the electronics water tight or the transfer case and Transaxle for that matter. I have seen Vid's of about 6 to 8 in without immediate issue.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
There was a thread in here having to do with accidental side airbag deployment and I remember that someone kept asking if the original author had gone through any deep water. You didn't mention if you wanted to drive through standing deep water or moving deep water but my advice would be not drive through anything standing that touched the bottom of the tailpipe and not drive through moving water at all.

·
Registered
895 Posts
A general rule for water fording is no higher than you hubs. And this rule is only if you are creeping along. There are a couple threads around here about fording with your E.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Insert the usual joke about "How can you possibly Ford a stream? You're driving a [whatever]!"

I believe the lowest item of concern is the charcoal filter for the gas vapor recovery system, behind the tank. I don't know how tolerant it is of submersion beyond the momentary road splash, but I think that's where we get most of the 6-8" rule-of-thumb.

·
Registered
357 Posts
:confused:Why did I think "Is this some sort of psuedo torture involving a Ford":D

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You are all right.:)
There was some talk of the side air bag sensors living in the lower rocker panels and they don't react well to water.
Most of the wiring is tested to withstand severe water penetration but, any aftermarket wiring like fogs, towing, alarm are subject.
Hubs are not water proof and most people don't even think about them until a wheel bearing craps the bed.
The evaporative fuel canister can be ruined if submerged and not allowed to drain/dry out before driving.
Not only is moving water dangerous but, still water can have many unseen obstacles under the surface. Always make your spouse get out and wade through the water first so you don't hurt your E.:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Giver

I have crossed a "small" stream that had cut the road on a recent canoe trip in the E. It was moving Left to Right and I hit it going about 15 km/hour and the E was fine. I would say that I maybe should have slowed down but Hindsight only makes you realize that you may not be as smart as you thought you were.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Now here we see Honda's hidden wisdom in selecting the Goodyear tires as oem. When approaching water of unknown depth, simply accelerate to normal highway speeds and then hydroplane safely across the surface to the other side.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Now here we see Honda's hidden wisdom in selecting the Goodyear tires as oem. When approaching water of unknown depth, simple accelerate to normal highway speeds and then hydroplane safely across the surface to the other side.
:lol::lol::lol: Works for snow too!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I can tell you the E can Handle 6 to 8 in without issue! Found out the hard way yesterday when I was out by Laughlin, the river came up a flooded the trail for a good 50ft, The only way out was to go for it. It was fun, it not a bit scary.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Soundsl like fun, but everytime I mention something like that the wife gets mad and I get the "Why do you want to destroy our only vehicle" speech lol.

But she did say I could get a real 4x4 in ak! wo0t!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reactions: 4WD Khaki

·
Registered
1 Posts
Flood no problem!

I use my Element for delivery 11 hrs a day and we had a MAJOR flash flood where I live on Aug 4th...6.5" of rain in one hour!
My E never hesitated once...I thought I was doing well driving through one foot of water but later when all the viaducts downtown were blocked off and cars floating in them, his abilities were tested to the max whe I had to drive through water up to his headlights...but only for about 10 seconds...felt like 5 minutes.
I heard water bubbling behind the exhaust but never took my foot off the gas and was enormously relieved to find higher pavement quickly. I was lucky, and had no further problems and took on no water.
Maybe water up to the headlights was not that deep but it was enough to impress me!
My Element is excellent on ice and snow also...much more stable than my old 4wd pickups.
This vehicle is a perfect delivery vehicle for me.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have yet to see an E with a snorkel. They aren't that hard to install but you would need to cut a hole for it. Take pics!

If you really wanted to make an E fjord-able you would need to address some other issues besides the air intake. The radiator would need a lot more than the HD gutter guard.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts