Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we had a pretty decent rain tonite while me and the wife were at the bar. We were leaving and I pulled a U-Turn in the intersection. When i turned (U-Turn to the left BTW) we heard what sounded like a cup of water pouring out into the back of my car. I immediately stopped and checked and the plastic above the rear side window (the one that doesn't open) was dripping and the plastic below the window was drenched!! I have no idea where the water came from. The only thing i can think of is that it leaked in around the sunroof and somehow channeled to the window. Anywho, the dealer will be getting a call tomorrow since I still have some time left on the X-warranty. Yay!! Free work.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thanks Paulj. I'll line up for my whoopins. I looked for that thread because I saw it before but couldn't find it. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it turns out the leak wasn't caused by the sunroof drains. Apparently the seal that it attached to the cladding on the roof is bad and is leaking. OF COURSE the extended Honda warranty doesn't cover seals and gaskets. I was quoted at least $300 to fix it. I said I'll park it in the garage. I'm kinda pissed.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
What about changing the gasket yourself ? When I installed the screen for the rear skylight , it came off easy and reinstalled just as easy ? Can't be that much to purchase ?
My 2 cents : open the rear hatch , you'll notice a rubber line going from the hatch to the upper body , in the middle . Mine came loose and caused water in the rear , just popped it back in and POOF , no more leak !

RUBY

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have them identify the part number then have their parts department show you the piece in their catalog. If you ask they may let you skim through their service manual to see if you want to do it yourself. If they don't that information can be provided by more than one member on this forum. The first step though is to get the part number of the item they claim is the problem.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to the service tech that was working on it. He said there was a couple clips that were broken and the seal was torn... I may or may not be responsible for the damage :/ Anywho he said one possible fix may be to take off the plastic trim on the interior and shoot expanda-foam into the holes where the water is coming in. That's gonna be my first route. If that don't work then I'll just buy the new part. Problem is you have to take off like 2/3 of the upper cladding to get the rear piece off. Lame.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Expanding foam could absorb and hold water there promoting rust, probably not a good idea to use it. Get the parts to fix it correctly the first time and be done with it.
Yeah but unfortunately I'll probably break more parts trying to get this one off. I'm not going to use much foam. Just enough to seal the holes.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Personally I would use RTV (silicone). It's used a lot on door seals. Buy black if your seal is black and nobody will ever notice it. Plus it's pliable and will last longer.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally I would use RTV (silicone). It's used a lot on door seals. Buy black if your seal is black and nobody will ever notice it. Plus it's pliable and will last longer.
Yeah i was just thinking that this morning. I gotta find some time to start tearing it apart before the next rain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts