Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an element that recently decided to stop running on the freeway the other day.

Opened the hood and the serpentine belt had come off and shredded in some places, but it did not break and appeared relatively new when inspected a few months back. Kind of a surprise, usually I notice squealing, etc. as they start to fail.

So after going in to replace the tensioner and belt, we notice the water pump pulley is totally wrecked. Probably when the belt came off it messed up the water pump pulley? Or potentially this failed and was the cause of the belt coming off? I have no way to know.

My concern is that the vehicle died when this happened... Shouldn't the car still idle for a bit? Should I be more concerned about timing chain issues? Could timing chain failure have caused this? And if so, are my valves probably destroyed?

So at this point I plan to replace water pump, and tensioner, and belt now. I get that it's going to suck but with the tensioner and PS pump already removed, it's not that much more work to get to the pump (famous last words).

Should I be checking anything else for good measure?

There was a small piece of belt that I could not pull out behind the crank pulley, it snapped as I pulled it. I assume the motor will chew this small piece of belt to bits right? Or do I need to remove that pulley too and get the piece out? It seems a lot of people get the pump out without removing the pulley (one more tool to rent I guess).

Thoughts or ideas?

I've worked on lot of broken cars and WOW this thing sucks for access.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi,
Wondering if the AC Compressor or pully jammed?
Did the engine over heat, is the engine free to turn over?
Did you do a compression test checking for a bent valve or bottom end damage???
A lot of things to check and or get more info on??????

1 - 2 of 2 Posts