Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost 90% positive that my water pump needs to be replaced. Woke up to a good amount of coolant having leaked out from under the car, and upon closer inspection my best guess is that it's coming from the water pump.

If that is the case, what else should I replace when I'm having the water pump taken out and new one put in? I'd imagine a new serpentine belt would be a good idea.

The Element has 110k miles on it.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
When a water pump fails it leaks while the engine is running, not when it is shut off. Top up your radiator and start it up and see if the puddle gets bigger.

How old are your hoses?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume they are the originals with 110k miles on them. I'm not the first owner, but doubt the hoses were replaced prior.

What else could it be? I can't pinpoint the exact location of the leak, but it's coming from near the water pump location. (I've taken off the plastic underside as well as the plastic that covers top of the radiator)

·
Registered
39 Posts
could be a crack in a coolant line somewhere or a seal somewhere broke. I would do what GaryS suggested and try to double check. Feel around with your fingers for anything wet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took it in to a shop, diagnosed as a leaking water pump. Having it replaced along with the serpentine belt.. all for great California auto labor rates = $620.00 :|

1 - 5 of 5 Posts