Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stealership os telling me I need to replace the water pump at 85k. Has anyone had this done, or done this themselves?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
It's no easy task, do to the location. If you have changed a pump on other cars, it's straight forward.

Remove the drive belt. Wile the coolant is draining. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
Then remove the 6 bolts that hold the pump on. I think they are 10 MM. ( too lazy to look tonight. Too much turkey. Clean the O ring groove and mating surface very well. It WILL LEAK, if you don't. Install the pump with NEW O ring. ( Do not reuse the old one.) Wipe down the surfaces before doing any other reassembly. It's easy to do without all the other stuff in place. Get it Dry! It's important! It will make checking for leaks a snap, after it's all put back together. Slap all the other stuff you took off back on. Refill the coolant. Bleed the system down with the heater valve open. That will get all the air out. ( That requires you to run the engine until the thermostat opens.) Inspect for leaks. Your done!

Dom

·
Registered
156 Posts
My dealer reccommended a water pump change at around 110k miles for preventative maint. I'll do it if my HONDA supplied maint reminder book says to.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
what are the symptonms? is it leaking, overheating leaking from the weep hole?
It can be all of the above Symptoms. Plus Noise ! Or just one of them can be an indication of impending failure.

Dom

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
My stealership os telling me I need to replace the water pump at 85k. Has anyone had this done, or done this themselves?
OK... let's be clear here: are they telling you that you need to replace the pump because you have 85K miles? Or, that you happen to have 85K miles and are they are telling you it is failing and needs to be replaced?

If it is the former, the coolant pump is not a scheduled service item and should only be replaced if and only if a pending failure is detected. This applies to you, too, duckloads, although it already sounds like you're with the program.

[über-rant]

I am so sick and tired of this nonsense of dealers trying to scare car owners into unnecessary servicing. They will use the "reliability" ruse, but that's a bunch of crap to buffalo you into emptying your wallet in their direction. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" isn't just an old saw - taking stuff apart that was assembled under factory conditions that has not failed or is nowhere close to failure is opening the door to problems caused by the servicing. If it's not on the factory service schedule and isn't failing, leave it alone!

[/über-rant]

<sigh> :-|

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
OK... let's be clear here: are they telling you that you need to replace the pump because you have 85K miles? Or, that you happen to have 85K miles and are they are telling you it is failing and needs to be replaced?

If it is the former, the coolant pump is not a scheduled service item and should only be replaced if and only if a pending failure is detected. This applies to you, too, duckloads, although it already sounds like you're with the program.

[über-rant]

I am so sick and tired of this nonsense of dealers trying to scare car owners into unnecessary servicing. They will use the "reliability" ruse, but that's a bunch of crap to buffalo you into emptying your wallet in their direction. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" isn't just an old saw - taking stuff apart that was assembled under factory conditions that has not failed or is nowhere close to failure is opening the door to problems caused by the servicing. If it's not on the factory service schedule and isn't failing, leave it alone!

[/über-rant]

<sigh> :-|
can't blame it... they have to make money off of us, and yet we fall for it because we don't know much mechanical stuff

·
Registered
572 Posts
i agree with Mike QBF..

however.. in other situations, and this is a generalization, its best to replace the pump, and related parts when your in that area anyways.. for instance. older honda, especially the accords, when doing a scheduled maintenance such as the timing belt. (80K belts) even though there is no listed life expectancy on the waterpump, because of the location, and amount of labor, the 40 dollar pump was a no brainer, and peace of mind, when it comes to "how long will it last".

now, the K motors, like our elements.. we have timing CHAINS. they don't have a life expectancy, or atleast to my best knowledge. so performing work on that engine, isn't necessary. but i don't think you should just start changing parts because the engine is building miles.

infact.. with my experiences with hondas.. the water pumps usually last 2-300K. its the timing belts that never make it that long.

·
Registered
590 Posts
as long as it is NOT timing belt driven, and aren't known too fail (which they aren't) who cares, run it till it pukes. since the K series engine has no cogged/toothed belt, you're safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was my question. The stealership is recommending a replacement BECAUSE I have 85K and no other reason. Well there is one other reason, it seems the service manager works on commission (he told me this while we 'worked out' another matter.

I think I'll wait till it needs it and do it myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts