Honda Element Owners Club banner

Water spots on windows

5K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  Alaskan_Toaster 
#1 ·
How do I get the water spots off of my windows?? Has anyone ever claybarred their windows??

#2 ·
If they are particularly stubborn, wipe them down with vinegar to eat the deposits away.

If it's a matter of general spots after a wash, make sure you're not taking it into direct sun during/after washing. You can use some of the new super absorbent chamois or similar cloths to get better drying.

#5 · (Edited)
Has anyone used a clay bar on the outside of windows to get out etched in water spots??
I have used Clay Bar on my windows but can't say whether it took off any water spots. I am fortunate that I do not have that problem.

It does make the glass pretty smooth though.

#4 ·
have a good friend that is a detailer that uses REALLY FINE steel wool, and something else but i dont remember what. if i talk to him in the next couple days i will ask him what the spray is.

#11 ·
I always used Barkeepers Friend which is a non abrasive cleasner type product. It gets all the dirt / gunk off without scratching. Seems to be sold all over, just google the name.

#15 ·
I bought this stuff at Wal Mart out in Hawaii that came in a white bottle and it works wonders. I'll get pics tomorrow for you. Stuff smells like toothpaste and icy hot mixed.

Got those really stubborn spots off my civic's windows after it sat out in the sun/rain/salty air for a year. I swear by the stuff.

#20 ·
Water spots on glass

Had my wife's Pilot detailed recently, they used a professional water spot remover and rubbed lightly with AAAA steel wool. The remover was tan in color and consistancy of buttermilk. The remover came from a gallon can and was labeled "Water Spot Remover for Glass" not able to see the brand. Worked great, glass in clean and spot free.

#28 ·
#29 ·
I have been detailing cars since the 60's and I've always has great success with "No Touch" Auto Glass Stripper

After going through an everlasting trial and error period of trying to remove well water spots, I got lucky and found something that works and doesn't damage the glass.

Since you are a detailer, tell me what works on the paint? The only solution I've found so far takes tons and tons of elbow grease. There has to be a better way.

#30 ·
If you have water spots on the paint, you can wash the car with a detergent based soap, like Joy or Ivory Liquid, then use a clay bar process (see instructions on package). If it turns out to be more than that, then go to a professional detailer who will more than likely use a light wheel acid to lift out any remaining spots.

Either way, make sure that you get a real good coat of polish on the car after the spots are gone. Once the car has been polished, then only wash it with non-detergent based soap such as shampoo. That way you won't constantly be taking the wax off after you've taken all the time to put it on in the first place!

Whatever you do, DO NOT ever try to wax out water spots, if you do that you will wax them in below the clear coat surface. Then, the only way they are going to come out at that point will be to color sand the paint.

Chief

#31 ·
It is my black truck I'm having the problem with. I took it to a pro and he tried acid and said it wouldn't work. Then, he quoted me $400 to buff it out. I'm not that upset with it. :rolleyes:

What I found that works with a lo-o-o-t-t-t of rubbing is Mothers Cleaner Wax---not a good idea? I never thought of shampoo for washing----been using wash and wax stuff. I hand dry, now that I know it's spoting.

P.S. The window stuff I found works great is "Bio-Clean Water Stain Remover" with a soft cloth.

Thanks for the feedback.

#32 · (Edited)
You're Welcome! There is a distinct difference in price in Florida versus California, You could take it to any body shop out here and get it color sanded for around $200, more or less. You should shop that price, usually any guy who does the paint prep and finish work in a body shop also does the color sanding. Once it's color sanded, you can wax it yourself if you want. The color sanding will take off that top layer on the clear coat where the water spots are. The cleaner wax you're using is masquerading the problem, not solving it. As I said before, you're waxing the water spots down up under the surface!

Chief

#35 ·
Haven't read all the posts in this thread, so, I apologize if this is a repeat.
I found that a simple scouring powder - Bon Ami (in the gold can) does a WONDERFUL job on removing road grime, spots, etc. from glass and DOES NOT SCRATCH!! Have used it for years and it works great. The best part - it runs about $1 or less per can (depending on where you shop).

Hope this helps..... :rolleyes: :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.