Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried Back to Black and after rain had nothing but streaks in the plastic rear hatch panel. Waited a month, washed and tried liquid ICE. After the first ran, streaking was worse than the back to black. Before I waste $16 on the 303 to try it, any suggestions? Am I alone? I mean there is nothing but white streaks up and down on that panel.
U

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tried Back to Black and after rain had nothing but streaks in the plastic rear hatch panel. Waited a month, washed and tried liquid ICE. After the first ran, streaking was worse than the back to black. Before I waste $16 on the 303 to try it, any suggestions? Am I alone? I mean there is nothing but white streaks up and down on that panel.
U

The water isnt streaking the plastic. The dressing is just coming off with the water,leaving the streaks. This is very very common. I see it all the time. There are very few dressings/sealants out there for plastics that do not come off or streak after a rain, wash, ect. Many are water base which doesnt work out so well but theyre better for the enviroment. You want something more solvent/chemical based, it is worse for the enviroment but it does work the best. The water will run over it rather then going under it and removing what you have put on.
You will need to clean the plastic of all the dressing that is still on there then reapply your new dressing. A few i can recommend are, as you said 303, black wow, and zaino z-cs. These are my personal preferences, I had a very good experience with all of them. Hope this helps you out :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
The water isnt streaking the plastic. The dressing is just coming off with the water,leaving the streaks. This is very very common. I see it all the time. There are very few dressings/sealants out there for plastics that do not come off or streak after a rain, wash, ect. Many are water base which doesnt work out so well but theyre better for the enviroment. You want something more solvent/chemical based, it is worse for the enviroment but it does work the best. The water will run over it rather then going under it and removing what you have put on.
You will need to clean the plastic of all the dressing that is still on there then reapply your new dressing. A few i can recommend are, as you said 303, black wow, and zaino z-cs. These are my personal preferences, I had a very good experience with all of them. Hope this helps you out :D
From my research I vote +1 on the Zaino Z-CS. ATD is right, first you need to make sure all the old dressing is cleaned off before you apply any new product.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Do not under any circumstances put peanut butter on the plastic. I figured I'd try it a while back, thankfully with my old paint job, and even though you think you cleaned it all off, the ants do not care, they were all OVER MY CAR!!! AH! And I didn't find any peanut butter around either, so it must have been the smell.

Anyway, maybe that's probably just my bad luck.

The thing i found to work the best is tire foam. I'm serious, because all that hard work you do buffing into the plastic and everything just puts a coating over it like tire foam, so I do that, it's easy to apply, just hold cardboard over the paint and spray on the plastic in short intervals and then hose it off. Try it. It leaves the same useless film that will wear off, and it can be redone quickly, and the longest I got it to stay was about 2 months, which is pretty good. Don't do it if you're not comfortable with the idea. I'm just saying it works good.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I use 303, and if it has a chance to dry, no streaks. If I put it on too soon after I wash the E, and some residual water from the wash, coming out from seams drips on the plastic right away, it does streak a bit - but just hit the plastic again with a bit more 303 on a cloth, and the streaks are gone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is a post of a Zaino user http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55129

It will show you what the Zaino Z-CS does for the plastic on the E. Makes the plastic look really nice. I think it will out last most of the other stuff? Maybe ATD can chime in here he has used it all and can tell you what one holds up the longest.

Good luck!
Buckskincolt is correct. Zaino is your best bet for a long lasting product and looks great, it's the best i seen anyways to date. Black wow is also good for long lasting but it is a PITA to put on our panels and attracts dust like crazy!!! I vote for Zaino Z-CS :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I will get so Zaino Z-CS and try it. Will post after I do with the outcome.
U

·
Registered
539 Posts
I haven't used the Zaino product, though I have heard good things about all of Zaino's products from my Corvette-racing friend, who details EVERYTHING on his Vette with Zaino. It always looks fantastic.

I will say that if you put the 303 on thick, it will run in the rain. The best thing you can do with 303 is buff it on with a microfiber (or whatever you might use--I always use microfiber cloths), let it dry for a minute or two, and the go back over the panel again with a clean microfiber to remove the excess 303. That leaves behind a wonderful semi-matte finish that looks great, and it doesn't streak in the rain. That also works on tires, but you need to let it sit a bit longer. Hope that helps if you do try to use 303.

For what it's worth, I have previously used that method with back-to-black as well, and avoided streaks. I use back to black once a year or so to remove oxidation and whatnot from my panels, and 303 after other washings.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I've been using turtle wax ice paste on my panels since day 1. they still look brand new. no streaking of any kind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts