Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this stuff in their E?

http://www.evanscooling.com/

I have a friend that swears by it and uses it in everything from his Honda 900RR to his Excursion with a power stroke.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
You could run light weight machine oil in there too. But it's not what it was designed for.

Save your money!

Dom

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I read through that and its just Propolene glycol. We use train tanker fulls of that stuff for grinding aid for the Cement.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
All I can say is WHY??- The Element has a cooling system that is very well up to the task with stock Honda coolant. Don't screw around and create a problem where one doesn't exist.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,686 Posts
Go ahead try it.. it's not my car.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's waterless so there can never be any corrosion and it lasts for the life of the engine. That is the selling point. It's $39.95 a gallon.
If you change your coolant every two years it would be a good thing to do and you would save money. But if you are me and you have never changed your coolant in 9 years because it still looks clear then you don't need it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
All I can say is WHY??- The Element has a cooling system that is very well up to the task with stock Honda coolant. Don't screw around and create a problem where one doesn't exist.
I agree - given how infrequently Honda recommends changing the OEM coolant, I don't see the need to pay $40/gal for something that may or may not perform as well and/or last as long as it claims. Most folks would only end up changing their stock coolant 2-3 times over the life of the car - my E is 9 years old and just had it changed for the first time...I stuck with Honda coolant as it's done me right so far.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
The cooling system hasn't changed significantly since 2003. The 2003/2004 powertrain warranty was 3 yrs/36,000 miles. If there were cooling system/corrosion issues, I've have expected to see a lot of posts in this forum, especially about water pump failures. What posts I did find, related to a blocked radiator core recall, physical vulnerability of the radiator to rock damage, fan/sensor failures, and one infant mortality water pump failure.

Unless a cooling/corrosion issue occured on a frequent basis in the Honda Element (or any other vehicle model), I see no benefit to replacing the OEM coolant. The Severe Usage Maintenance Schedule calls for a drain and refill at 120,000 miles/10 years, and at subsequent 60,000 mile/5 year intervals (that's 180,000 miles/15 years).

That being said, if I were wealthy like Jay Leno, and had a collection of expensive, rare vehicles that were seldom driven, I might consider using the Evans coolant. Like him, I'd try it out on a test vehicle other vehicles..

Just FYI:

MSDA( 2010) : View attachment pdf_6795_1.pdf
Patent Application:(2002) View attachment US20020171063.pdf
Patent Application (2008 ): View attachment US20080061269.pdf
Patent US 7,655,154 B2

None of these patents/applications are for claims of reduced system corrosion or lifetime coolant ability.

Collectively they describe the ingredients as 70% ethylene and 30% propylene glycol or gylcerol, a corrosion inhibitor additive that is soluble in ethylene glycol and propylene glycol, and no anti-corrosion additives requiring water.

The original application was for "blending of a polyhydric alcohol (sugar alcohol) having a boiling point above 302 F 150 C and that acts as an ADH enzyme inhibitor into an EG based antifreeze heat transfer fluid concentrate whereby the blended fluid is rendered essentially non toxic in its concentrated form and remains essentially non toxic when admixed with water for use as a heat transfer fluid or an engine antifreeze coolant..."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts