Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on request of Einstein:

Wayfinder V7000 Installed PICTURES
Here is a picture of the location of the unit.

Einstein has attached this image:

Close-up of wires and suction cups. The wires are for the outside thermometer and the "hardwire" connection so it runs off the battery. It automatically turns on and off when the engine runs and stops. It also has a photosensor to automatically backlight at night when the engine is running.

I tucked the wires behind the headliner, to the door side of the A-pillar trim, and out by the door frame. Didn't disassemble anything or hurt my back getting under the dash to find a firewall grommet. Call me lazy.

Here's how the wires run from below the hood hinge down to the battery. You might also notice the thermometer sensor wire too.

I soldered the wires to alligator clips. Again, very lazy. Notice I kept the inline fuse.

Finally, here's the location of the temperature sensor. It's only accurate when the car has been moving for half a minute or so.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had to fix a typo in the url I created from my website. :oops: All fixed within seconds :D

In any case, I ran my wires in much the same way as did Einstein. I simply could not get the clips for the fender off. I dropped my sensor into the open area by the driver side fender.

I like the idea of the hard wired power and the tint. The interior temperature sensor is way off due to the sun hitting it without a windshield tint. I will ask at a windscreen glass shop about that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
To get the wires behind the fenders, just push them in between the painted plastic triangle and the fender. Then make sure the wires fall below the black plastic hinge cover. Piece of cake.

Thanks again for hosting my pictures!

·
Registered
447 Posts
A few more notes on the install:

(A) After the first install, I found that the bracket hinge was not tight enough and got worse over time. The unit would droop down... completely unacceptable because it changes the calibration when it's moved the slightest bit. The screw was loosening! I disassembled the hinge, strethced the compression spring longer so it has more force to lock the hinge, and then used Locktite TiteN on the threads when installing the screw.

(B) Use a VERY think amount of petroleum jelly on the suction cups. I rubbed some on, then rubbed most of it off with a lint-free towel.

(C) The unit is up pretty far so that it rests against the headliner. This keeps it from shaking, looks nicer, and doesn't move much while pressing buttons.

(D) I installed it behind the mirror for best accuracy. Installing it near the A-pillar will make it less accurate for three reasons. (1) The windshield is angled there, you should have the unit aimed perfectly straight ahead, (2) it's closer to the tweeter magnet, and (3) there is more metal near the unit which soaks up more of the earth's magnetic field.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It looks sweet, where can I buy that they would install though? I mean I don't have a problem installing anything, unless it deals with the electrical...then I hire a professional!

Also, how much does something like this run?

I haven't even started looking into this, probaly because I won't be adding one until Christmas (if I decide to ask Santa for one and if he considers me to have been "Nice" this year!)

·
Registered
447 Posts
There's nothing more to the install than what I posted above.

The compass is very reliable, both the V7000 and 600 that I own for two different cars. The V7000 also has declination compensation, making it even more accurate. I seldom see the distortion indicator lit, meaning I located it at a pretty good spot.

[EDIT: Look two posts down for links]

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone know offhand what the differences are between the WayFinder V2000 and V7000? From skimming the descriptions I can't find any...

·
Registered
447 Posts
[quote:193c6ef583=" "]Does anyone know offhand what the differences are between the WayFinder V2000 and V7000? From skimming the descriptions I can't find any...[/quote:193c6ef583]

It appears the V2000 does not have the atmospheric pressure-dependent measurements, including altimeter, barometer, and weather forecast. I personally think the altimeter is great.

It also doesn't seem to have declination angle feature, where it continually compensates for the difference between true north and magnetic north. Which means it's less accurate, if you care about that.

One or more of my above links do not work like they used to, the retailers may be changning their offerings :(

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Just installed my V2000 compass. Very easy to do. I followed Einstein's instructions. Took about 10 minutes. Now I just have to be carefull not to crash while looking at my compass and reading the outside temp. BTW, I bought mine through JC Whitney since I had a discount offer with my catalog...cost $53 plus $11 shipping (and handling). Still a good deal.
Oh, and thanks Einstein!

·
Registered
447 Posts
[quote:8f8f44e197=" "]
Oh, and thanks Einstein![/quote:8f8f44e197]

You're welcome... glad it worked out for you! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
how about this for a compass/temperature solution:

It is a Magna-Donnelly mirror I bought from Mazda for $99.95 my cost.
Wiring is simple, power, ground, run the temp sensor to the front grille.
I did have to cut the factory mirror bracket and attach the new mirror with epoxy. This mirror is made to be mounted to the windshield...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
One complaint I have about the V2000 that I've just discovered by reading the little instruction book that came with it is that the temperature readout stops at 1 degree. One of the reasons I bought it was that I could read our extreme low temperatures in Minnesota. I don't remember reading anything about that limitation in any ads for it.
:cry:

·
Registered
829 Posts
isketerol said:
Posted on request of Einstein:

Wayfinder V7000 Installed PICTURES
Here is a picture of the location of the unit.

Close-up of wires and suction cups. The wires are for the outside thermometer and the "hardwire" connection so it runs off the battery. It automatically turns on and off when the engine runs and stops. It also has a photosensor to automatically backlight at night when the engine is running.

I tucked the wires behind the headliner, to the door side of the A-pillar trim, and out by the door frame. Didn't disassemble anything or hurt my back getting under the dash to find a firewall grommet. Call me lazy.

Here's how the wires run from below the hood hinge down to the battery. You might also notice the thermometer sensor wire too.

I soldered the wires to alligator clips. Again, very lazy. Notice I kept the inline fuse.

Finally, here's the location of the temperature sensor. It's only accurate when the car has been moving for half a minute or so.

I dont suppose you could repost these images/instructions? I know its an old thread, but I want to get one, and these picts would be a great help.
thanks
Joel

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Joel he hasn't posted on here since July 2005. He might have moved on... sorry about the missing pics and all.

Tackle the project yourself and see how you do. There are plenty of us around here that can offer plenty of advice and hand holding if needed. Just ask for anything before you try it if you're not certain. People have posted pics of the troubles they run across and are helped fairly quickly.

Good luck on it. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts