Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new dog today, a brindle boxer from the pound. Sweet girl, but she's got a weight problem. She is way too skinny. Does anyone know how to safely and quickly put some weight on a dog? She does NOT have worms, she was just hungry a long time before they found her.

We are feeding her a lot, and i will probably give her some eggs and or yogurt in with her kibble to beef her up.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
pasta will work also in limited amounts

·
Registered
177 Posts
There's no need to rush and frankly, it's not advisable. If she was malnourished for a long time you don't want to tax her system. Feed her a bit more what you normally wood and just watch.

I know you say she doesn't have worms,lol, but if she hasn't been dewormed, do so. All my recues had worms, regardless of where they came from.

It would help if you could tell me how old she is and how much she currenlty weighs and what bones you can see.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts

Did your vet advise being in a rush to fatten her up?

I don't doubt she's underweight but my vet says we don't even know what a healthy dog looks like anymore, we're so used to fat dogs.

Your vet should examine the pup and advise on an optimal weight.

What are you feeding her?

I'd feed them whatever the food bag advised plus some percentage more. Make sure it's a good quality food. If you bought it in a grocery store or Petsmart I'd be dubious.

And by the way: congrats!! To you and the lucky pup.

I highly recommend subscribing to Whole Dog Journal. The authority on dog food and a terrific resource on training, health care, etc. Just $20 a year for the monthly (online).

www.whole-dog-journal.com

:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Did your vet advise being in a rush to fatten her up?

I don't doubt she's underweight but my vet says we don't even know what a healthy dog looks like anymore, we're so used to fat dogs.

Sing it sister! I've yet to see a Lab around here that couldn't stand to lose a few.

Dog ribs are GOOD things. And yes, I'd ask the vet, that's an excellent suggestion. Both Kinley and Lida were very underweight and both had visible and non visible signs of malnutrition. Dry coat, brittle nails, dry nose, dull eyes, Kinley had the worst pancake feet, he was totallty down on his pasturns.

It took months to get them where they needed to be. I try very hard to keep all my pups at the low end. baxter is a keeper, Kinley and Lida need more to keep steady.

Boxers are high energy dogs and should be on the leaner side.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate that a boxer should be lean. I shouldn't see such deep grooves between her shoulders, hips, etc. She shouldn't be hourglass shaped (her belly is epically skinnier than her ribs) or be unable to run for thirty seconds. The going consensus is that she was dropped by her people when she got pregnant/ had puppies. She definitely had some. She also is very well mannered and clearly used to being in a house and among people. They found her running stray. Her age is uncertain, between 2 and 5 we guess.

I am in no huge hurry to get her up to weight, but I do want to be doing the right thing until I get her to the vet this weekend. The vet hasn't advised me to have her gain weight yet, but the shelter staff told me to wait to get her fixed until she put on some weight, so . . . yeah. The shelter staff advised against spaying her right away. That's a sign.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
IIRC someone said in the pumpkin thread that it's also good (in moderation, of course) for weight gain.
The pumpkin should have the opposite effect, fill her up and not really have her gain weight.

Kung, good luck with the pup! :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Her lack of muscle mass is also a concern. Honestly, I am just sad to see her so underweight. She weighs only 35 lbs right now.:x

I am feeding the same stuff I give my (sensible sized) lab; Pedigree in the yellow bag. I am probably going to get flamed for that, so flame on.

I want to see her lean and muscled and able to play instead of being so lethargic. I want a running buddy, but I know that won't happen over night.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I used peanut butter and kibble stuffed Kongs I manage to put 30lb on Delilah

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Yeah, I'll join the chorus!

Even if she is underweight it's not going to hurt her in the short term as long as what you do feed her is well balanced, easily digested and nutritious - avoid fats and fillers. Talk to your vet and, if necessary, slightly increase the amount of food you give her over time. If she really is malnourished she will have trouble digesting if you increase the quantity too fast.

Congrats on your new family member!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been trying a failing to post a photo for reference. She doesn't look good, but I am given to understand that patience is the way to go. Patience, then.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I want to see her lean and muscled and able to play instead of being so lethargic. I want a running buddy, but I know that won't happen over night.
She is so blessed to now have such a caring and active owner.

Thank you for trusting us to share our experience and ideas.

Especially because you are looking for her to be athletic, I hope you'll subscribe to Whole Dog Journal. There's so much great info in there I take articles into vet visits to get their feedback.

By the way, yogurt is good for them -- plain with the active cultures. Probiotics. Gidget laps it up. Two or three tablespoons with her kibble would be good until she's at a healthy weight. Gidget gets a tablespoon on top of her breakfast but none for dinner.

You might also see if she likes Greenies. Some calories, great for their teeth and they are known as "Doggie Crack." My vet recommends them because they are designed for and are good for cleaning teeth.

Expensive habit, though. Gidget's addicted so I buy them bulk from www.carealotpets.com (a great pet supply, I comparison shop them and www.drsfosterandsmith.com)

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
http://www.heroswaggintrain.com/health/malnourished.htm

Somebody sent me this. I welcome comments ( I am NOT doing this diet right now)

I'd print that out and ask your vet.

When my first Samoyed was 13 years old she was diagnosed with chronic active hepatitis and had lost 9 pounds. We had to minimize stress to her liver so no more processed dog kibble and I started cooking for her (getting advice from the vet on ingredients).

She loved it. I stir-fried her food twice a week, freezing half. It was an easy routine and it put several pounds on her within six weeks. I served the stir-fry over organic brown rice.

Stir-fry:

Safflower Oil (high in Omega 3s, high-temp cooking oil)

Organic chicken breasts
(lean protein is easier on the liver than beef)

Carrots

squash (and I can't remember all the veggies, I varied them)

After this is stir-fried, chop the chicken up so it's no bigger than the carrots and can't easily be picked out by your pup.

I think it would be a great idea for you to augment her kibble with this stir-fry/brown rice combo. Healthy carbs and quality protein plus veggies. About the healthiest possible way to gain weight.

And she'd love you for it.

If I were a better, more organized person, I'd toss the processed kibble and cook all Gidget's meals.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Her name is Leila, after Leila Ali (the only female boxer I could think of) I called her that ONCE. My daughter repeated it over and over and she started coming to it. Then my wife corrected me, that Muhammad Ali's daughter's name is Layla, but . . . Leila it is.

Currently sleeping on the couch with her head in my lap. It's like she lived here forever.

I am calling the vet tomorrow, so . . . yeah.

We love greenies, but she just ate the last one.

She also is into the Kong already, which I am told is a mandatory piece of equipment for such a mentally strong dog.

·
Registered
203 Posts
satin ball recipes

http://www.heroswaggintrain.com/health/malnourished.htm

Somebody sent me this. I welcome comments ( I am NOT doing this diet right now)
This is one of the many satin ball recipes that are recommended for adding weight to dogs. It can put on weight in just a few days. I read where some use these on their dogs just before shows. Google "Satin Ball Recipes."

Congrats on the new addition to your family! We just adopted a sweet Basset Hound a couple of weeks ago and its as if she has been with us for ever!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts