Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I love the element and am thinking of buying it but have heard the automatic does not have enough power. Does anyone know about a planned upgrade to the engine? Any thoughts on the element lack of power?

Thanks, suze :p

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
Ive had my 4wd Ex auto for 4 months and thnk for the size of the vehicle it has plenty of power.I do wish at times for a little more grunt for overtaking at highways speeds.As far as a power upgrade goes...as long as Honda is selling em faster than they can build them dont look for any power upgrades any time soon.

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:0feba3c5f6="suzytheelement"]Hello:

I love the element and am thinking of buying it but have heard the automatic does not have enough power. Does anyone know about a planned upgrade to the engine? Any thoughts on the element lack of power?

Thanks, suze :p[/quote:0feba3c5f6]

Suzy, I don't know if you have test driven one yet, but you're the only one who can tell what power engine will keep you satisfied. It's going to be too "weak" for some, and "just right" for others, and "ok" for most. You are the expert on what's right for you.

If you are trading in a Viper, it may seem a tad underpowered :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
This has been a topic before and, as is cutom on this group, people just dismiss the poster for daring to post something negative about the Element.

Bottom line is that is has a 4 banger under the hood. It is a very good and peppy four banger (much quicker than the 4cyl I had in the Saturn I owned previously), but still just a 4 banger.

I too wish a V6 was an option. My wife bought an Escape (which I don't like nearly as much as my Element) a couple months after I bought my Element. It has a V6 and it's like I'm in a rocket car in comparison (a little exageration). There's just no contest when it comes to power which I know isn't exactly a revelation to anyone who nows even an ounce about cars.

If some get up off the line (not top speed which many confuse) is what you'd like, probably want to look at other small SUVs or look into after-mkt modifications.

·
Registered
176 Posts
what is cutom? sounds like some louisiana seafood delicacy :twisted:

i owned a chevy lumina sedan w/v6 previous to the element, and it is a noticeable difference. that being said, i think the element does have enough power. i've done 0-60's and also highway passing (60-80) in time that i consider to be very acceptable. i was personally impressed that i was getting that kind of performance out of a 4 cylinder, having driven my boss's 4 cyl beamer a year or 2 ago and being very nonplussed.

yes i am a happy element owner. biased? probably. take what i say with a grain of salt. you are asking on an element owners forum after all :) my suggestion to you is to take a test drive to see for yourself. your expectations are different from all of ours. have fun!

·
Registered
247 Posts
[quote:dcae31e61e="tigernumber6"]This has been a topic before and, as is cutom on this group, people just dismiss the poster for daring to post something negative about the Element.[/quote:dcae31e61e]
(looking around) What'd I miss?

You must not be talking about this thread. Nobody dismissed Suzy, and as far as I can see, Suzy didn't say anything negative about the Element -- she asked a question.

Gesh.

Anyhow, I traded in my 6-cyl Wrangler to get my E. My 5-spd Jeep was a little faster off the line, but I'm happy with the E's performance, considering it's a helluva lot larger and gets 23% better MPG.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't think you missed anything. Never said Suzy was dismissed. If you saw that in my last message, point out where.

I was referring to previous threads on this topic from back in the day. Can't remember who posted. I do recall somebody coming back with how their Element was faster than whatever car they had with a 6cyl. Uh-uh.

Furthermore, some of you have been members as long or longer than me (since January) so you can't think it's unreasonable for me to warn some poster with a subject line of "weak engine". I agree there was nothing negative in the post but I'd bet some of the ultra-sensitive Elementphiles would percieve there was.

Sorry to stir anything up. It's why I don't post much.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Gotcha. I thought you were talking about THIS thread, which kinda confused me. :)

As for the ultra-sensitive folks getting their undies in a knot over the thread subject, oh-well for them. :wink: The E is awesome in most regards, but some areas it's going to lack in -- just like anything.

Anyhow, I don't think you were stirring stuff up, so ... keep on posting!

·
Registered
273 Posts
su,,, check out the 5spd... it may be what you are looking for... more pep... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
540 Posts
[quote:19f10d7688="tigernumber6"]Don't think you missed anything. Never said Suzy was dismissed. If you saw that in my last message, point out where.

I was referring to previous threads on this topic from back in the day. Can't remember who posted. I do recall somebody coming back with how their Element was faster than whatever car they had with a 6cyl. Uh-uh.

Furthermore, some of you have been members as long or longer than me (since January) so you can't think it's unreasonable for me to warn some poster with a subject line of "weak engine". I agree there was nothing negative in the post but I'd bet some of the ultra-sensitive Elementphiles would percieve there was.

Sorry to stir anything up. It's why I don't post much.[/quote:19f10d7688]

You seem to have an extremely negative opinion of EOC members. That's a terrible shame. There are some very nice people hereabouts.

Characterization of people as 'ultrasensitive Elementphiles" "cult members" and your rush to "warn" Suzy as if there would be be a lynch mob after her -- sheesh, I have *no* idea where that sort of interpretation is coming from. It's not called for at all.

If you're going to interpret everything everyone says as coming from a 'touchy cult member' then, yes, I can see why you would post only rarely. If you somehow got over your cynicism, looked around, and saw EOC people as ....people, then you might actually have some fun here.

I hope you will consider this as an opportunity to figure out who we are, rather than what you dismiss us as.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow, hellca..Kim, you need to cut me some slack.

Okay, "warn" was probably a bad choice of words (I should be more careful around you guys, I guess). Just trying to say that it can be tough to get an unbias answer here. You can hardly argue with that. Many people openly admit their bias. Blinded by love, I say. I struggle with it too.

How about commenting on the actually response I gave to her inquiry? Was I wrong?

·
Registered
540 Posts
The Element is a 4 cylinder. It does not, by definition, have as much power as a 6 cylinder. That's stating the obvious, which makes me wonder why it needs stating at all.

Perceptions of power and acceleration, and the virtues of 4 cyl v. 6 cyl are highly individual and subjective, and will vary greatly from driver to driver. If Suzy has driven the Element, she's seen how it feels for her to drive it, and how it meets her particular needs, or not.

I drove a 6 cylinder before I bought the Element and would get a lot of acceleration when I stepped on the gas. No doubt about that.

I drive the Element now and I don't get that roaring blast of acceleration, but neither do I find that it is pokey, slow, underpowered, or can't get me right into highway traffic or passing around Grandpa on his Sunday drive.

And slack cutting goes both ways.

·
Registered
957 Posts
OK everyone, let's all please stay on topic and leave personal disagreements out of this... :D

Suzy, to answer your original question - there is currently no planned upgrade for the 4 cylinder engine. There are a number of threads in the "Shoppin' and Test Drivin" subforum that document a lot of peoples impressions regarding their test drive experiences. You might find some of those posts useful. :D

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
But it's a fun car to drive regardless. I feel the power is quite substantial, considering the vehicles weight, shape and height. I have a 5 spd DX, so I do not have the added weight of the sunglasses holder, which must be the difference. I tested an automatic and found it a bit slushy for me. But then again, my 4 spd LeMans catches rubber in all 4 gears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts