Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just purchased a 09 EX with a Webasto Hollandia 700 sunroof installed in the middle area (just behind the front upper storage bin). Then we had our first big rain and I noticed that my headliner right at the front point of what would be the "C" piller was wet, as well as a little in the back above the seat belt mounts. No other water marks before this - I checked before I bought it (of course, it was always garaged before...). So, in a general panic I looked all over for help, and found the trick for using Weed Wacker cord to clear them. But..., in the 700 there are 4 drains, and you only have access to the front ones - the rears are buried way in the back out of sight and out of reach. So, I thought I would test to see which ones were blocked - I poured water in the 2 fronts and they were clear. I also looked for where the water was draining from. In this installation, they put the tubes into the rear wheel well and caulked them in place. The rear passenger side was free, but the drivers side was not draining. I ran the weed wacker cord up from the bottom via the wheel well until it stopped, and spun it a bit, and Blurp! the water started to drain.

Just a tip for the other Webasto sunroof owners out there - find where your drain tubes exit while they are still working and periodically run some weed wacker chord up from the tube exit to make sure they are clear. No need to wait and possbly wreck your headliner. Or, park your E in the garage and never drive it in the rain. Your choice...

I may put extensions on mine to get the exit out of the wheelwell and away from all the snow and ice...

John

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,887 Posts
For the next week or so, dump a little bit of bleach down those holes every other day.
Chlorine bleach is a way of accelerating deterioration of urethane or neoprene rubber tubing (and lacquer paint) .

If the blockage is suspected to be mold, rotting vegetation, and or road salts plus dirt, a mixture of 1 tsp baking soda and 1tsp clear dish washing soap in a quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide is a safer effective solution. Rinse with clean water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts