Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?:
How much weight can be carried inside a 2wd automatic EX? Or should I say what is the maxamum weight I can haul? The salesmen had no clue. Now that I think of it isn't the weight listed on the drivers side door? Since i do not have an owners manual and the car is not in front of me I do not have this information. :roll:

·
Registered
253 Posts
The manual states "The maximum load for your vehicle is 675lbs for US models and 308kg for Canadian. This includes total wt for all occupants, cargo, accessories, and the tongue wt if you are towing a trailer."

·
Registered
6 Posts
675 pounds scares me, especially since I'm 6'3" and about 210 pounds, my friends are all over 6' tall and in the 200 pound range, so 3 of my friends and me in the car would be int he 800 pound range, a full 125 pounds over the weight limit with no cargo? That sounds awefully low.

- Takr

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2WD EX and the specs show a max of 675 lbs (includes people, cargo, accessories, I do not have a trailer, so I'm not sure how to address tongue weight impact)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wondering if that's not the true designed weight limit. Because my imediate family's combined wieght exceeds that by almost 100lbs. I test drove this vehicle with just my wife and the salesman and I know we definately exceeded that. Now I didn't notice any performance hits do to weight. So I'm curious.......

And don't worry, I'm on a diet now so hopefully when my SOP E comes in....we'll be closer to that limit. :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
116 Posts
We just took 3 big dogs = 220lbs and 3 adults = 450 lbs on a dirt road and not a problem. We did not bottom out nor was the engine straining.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Man I gotta say, this worries me.

That is not a lot weight. Admittingly, I never bothered to check the weight limit on the other rollers I've owned but 675 lbs seems LOW.

If this is true, the Element's practicality really takes a hit. I mean flip up the seats, wipe down the floors and stand up through the sun roof all you want, if four 170 lbs adults can't ride in it at the same time, it's not the dorm room on wheels that Honda described in it's promotional materials.

Aren't there some Honda sales people in the house that can look into this more thoroughly?

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is bothering me to no end. Just checked the Ford site to see what the payload weight limit on the Escape was (figured that would be a good comparison) and it's 1,140 lbs. That is about what I'd expect from a small 4X4 SUV with a 4cyl engine.

I know one of you Honda employees in disguise is going to tell me I'm making too much of this and that I shouldn't want to drive around with 3 other adults in my car anyway. But if this 675 lb limit is true, then I'm sorry I bought this thing. No matter how cool it is, this is unacceptable.

I hope we find out that this has been misinterpreted. I don't want to feel like I'm potentially damaging my car every time I head to the bar or ballpark with my friends.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I posted this in another tread but here it is again. I talked to honda canada and the say the 675 is the tested load amount and don't recomend higher.

But.... the gvw is 4453 lb and the curb weight is 3595. Subtract one from the other and you get the maximum payload. 858lbs. (Please correct me if I have this wrong)

Anyway as I understand it curb weight includes fuel. But according to honda canada that 675 number does not include fuel, meaning they think that you pay load is 675 minus fuel. (150 approx) Total payload 545. I suggest you worry about gvw vs curb weight.

Just my thoughs, might have it wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm glad someone has brought this up. I was really gung-ho about buying an Element until this point.

I don't know that I'm completely decided against it now--it's still likely--but this one issue is enough to make me significantly cool my enthusiasm and reconsider.

I may still get one because all the other features are so attractive (folding seats, easy to clean out). I do some biking, I play music, and I've been looking for a somewhat economical and practical vehicle I could easily get my amplifier or bike in and out of AND be able to jump curbs to go look at projects I'm involved with for work (I work as a civil engineer). This seems like a perfect vehicle for supporting all of those activities--without having to pay a whole bunch for off-road capabilities I'll never use. But 675 pounds max load? True...I probably won't test that load very often, but I hate to think that if I want to go on a road trip with a few of my friends (which I do from time to time) that I'm going to be flirting with the limits of my vehicle the whole time.

My opinion was probably not needed here since the concern has already been so well expressed, but I just wanted to thank you guys for bringing it up and agree that this is a real concern to me as a potential Element buyer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If a vehicle does not suit your lifestyle then it is no bargain.

For one reason or another I have disallowed many vehicles even if I loved 'em because of one "flaw" or another.

READ THE SPECS BEFORE YOU BUY! Then make an educated decision. Don't believe the "hype" - it's written by marketers not engineers!

·
Registered
50 Posts
i just took a trip with 5 adults (approx. wt = 840lbs), one big dog (approx. 90lbs), and some sporting equipment for a total of 930+ lbs. and there were no problems whatsoever with acceleration or vehicle sagging. i'm sure there is a huge safety margin built into the 675 figure.

and yes, i realize that the element is only designed for 4 adults, but sometimes you just have to cram them aboard.

shawn

·
Registered
311 Posts
[quote:1adfc1aa14="SPACE E"]If a vehicle does not suit your lifestyle then it is no bargain.

For one reason or another I have disallowed many vehicles even if I loved 'em because of one "flaw" or another.

READ THE SPECS BEFORE YOU BUY! Then make an educated decision. Don't believe the "hype" - it's written by marketers not engineers![/quote:1adfc1aa14]

I intially fell in love with the Nissan Xterra. I still do love the looks of it. But the interior really SUCKS. There were so many things about the interior that I disliked. The carpet had air pockets in it, ( didn't lay flat ). Very poor quality and craftmanship on the inside yet the exterior was gorgeous.
The seats wouldn't lay completely flat for cargo. If you should put anything heavy back there you would run the risk of poking a hole in the seat if you didn't lay a towel or something soft under it. CRAZY :roll:

LittleDogBox
Arlington,Va.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have read several mentions of the 675 pound (I think) load capacity. I have also read that the AWD/4WD weighs 200 pounds more than the 2WD version. Sooooo -- Does the 2WD get to carry 875 pounds??

I suppose there are issues like center of gravity, since the extra drive train components would be positioned quite low, while payload would be above the floor.

There may also be some difference in suspension components, but economy of scale would suggest not. Would you really stock a whole different set of springs and such because of a mere 200 pound weight difference?

·
Registered
15 Posts
After reading in a Consumer Reports review about the 'wimpy' 675 lbs of interior capacity, I called two Honda dealers to find out what that figure means. I couldn't get an answer. Inside the my driver door it clearly states - Interior capacity = 675 lbs. I'm puzzled. Four adults and cargo could easily surpass this amount. Or even three passenger and cargo. As much as I am enjoying my E I'm frankly a little worried. Can anyone shed light on this?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't know what Honda meant, but I hauled ~400 pounds of people and ~950 pounds of IKEA for 180 miles at 70MPH and the E didn't look or handle much differently. Of course, I didn't interview the springs at the end of the trip, but ... :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
bush555 said:
While the E's capacity is no doubt higher for generalized loads (say, four heavier adults), the same weight, if concentrated or unbalanced, may impune handling in an emergency situation -- and pose liability for Honda were the weight sanctioned.
Oooooo....I've hauled myself and three other fat bastards in my E, which clearly brought the interior cargo well beyond the aformentioned weight limit. That weight limit sticker looks a lot to me like a speed limit sign...Who's quibbling?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think since the E is around 3,500 pounds and only has a 4 cylinder's. 675 is a safe figure to haul stuff and not put a lot of stress on the engine :roll:

Most SUV's are V6's and thus will have a higher pay load.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Point I'm trying to make here is that the 4WD always carries a heavier load than the 2WD. Since -- I assume -- the load-bearing componentry is the same, the 2WD should/could logically be *rated* for 200 pounds more.

A 2WD with 200 pounds of dead weight added is now up to the empty weight of the 4WD.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts