Honda Element Owners Club banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
pounds

Well,
The other day I have to take a couple of girls to their houses....They were 9 girls plus my self . I did not find any lost of power or anything wrong..

·
Registered
15 Posts
What Limits the Load Capacity?

Hi,

I've been reading these threads on the load capacity with some interest. I'm also shopping for an E. What I haven't seen discussed is what limits the load capacity? Is it the frame? The struts and shocks? The rear axle? I guess my point is, are there any mods or upgrades out there in the aftermarket to upgrade the weight capacity of the vehicle?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
strathound said:
What I haven't seen discussed is what limits the load capacity?
There has been a lot of discussion about what limits the load capacity. The conclusion is that we don't really know. Honda has given use those numbers, but has not told us how they derived them.

paulj

·
Registered
23 Posts
675? Can I trade it in before the first payment?

If I'm in the Element with my partner, we're :sad: at least 600 pounds. Add to that my camera bag and a few water bottles, and we're screwed!

Knew I should have picked the Ridgeline!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im going to miss the towing capacity on our current pontiac aztek, vs the element, The aztek pulled my Ford festiva home like it wasnt there on a landscape trailer on a 100 mile trip when i bought it.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
No matter what you think, Deathshead, an Element would look far better in your driveway than either an Aztek or a Festiva!!

The so-called poorly-thought-out load carrying capacity of the Element has been discussed fervently for nearly four years now. The "number" (most have agreed) was determined by Honda's legal department; not actual users.

If one's everyday load exceeded the maximum official capacity, an Element is probably a poor choice. For most actual owners, exceeding the official capacity is an infrequent, though perhaps common thing. 80% of us don't think about it anymore. The other 20% probably bought something else.

While it's obvious that the Element's interior volume could seem deceptive, Honda's advertising is no more deceptive than anyone else's. The primary ads that brag of capacity are for full-sized pickup trucks. I also suspect the plethora of 6+ capacity SUV's on the market these days would be over their load limits if each of those passengers brought so much as a toothbrush along. :-o

Whoever promised raising kids, dogs and concrete blocks was gonna be cheap, anyway? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
seriously, you all are worried way, way too much. do you always drive under the speed limit on the highway? change your oil every 2999 miles? floss three times a day?

personally, i've put over 30k miles (out of 70k total) on the element on long trips carrying up to about 1250 lbs of people and gear, and never had one problem. and that includes some trips on unpaved backroads and up in the mountains on logging roads. with stuff on the top rack, and hanging off the hitch, and the inside totally stuffed.

if you can't bring yourself to feel comfortable living slightly outside of what the honda lawyers decide that they need to say about the element to eliminate any chance of liablity, then you should go buy something that gets 12mpg. and make sure that you buy the extended warranty for that chevy, you'll need it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
When looking into the load capacity I found that the Honda website (Honda.com) has the towing capacity at 1500lbs, how does that relate to the cargo capacity?

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
675 lbs total cargo weight?!

Has anyone else noticed the low total weight limit on the Element. I was putting some air in my tires the other day so I looked at the sticker inside the driver's side door to see the psi specs. I noticed the other info on there saying that the combined weight of passengers and cargo shouldn't exceed 675 lbs. Are they kidding me! That means me and my 2 brothers can't ride together in my car, 3 people in a four passenger vehicle. Yeah we're a little bigger than your average American but still! After a little research I found that the average healthy American male should weight between 120-160 lbs. So I guess by those numbers 4 people should fit in the Element leaving a little room for luggage. But how many of you guys are under 160?

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Sheit! I did a couple searches and couldn't find anything. Must've used the wrong keywords. I hate myself...

You mind giving me those links?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea they say that its like 675 total weight, but the element can hold a lot more than that. On a day to day basis I haul about 700 lbs of tools plus myself and sometimes somone else. Yea it slows it down a little but it still drives nice.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I am in teh process of moving from one apartment to another. I had a load in this morning that would probably weigh in about 700-800 pounds. It did accelerate a bit slower, but the E isn't a rocket off the line to begin with.

·
Registered
510 Posts
wow ..i didnt know that info
but it is always me and my wife in the E when we go out..
me...165 lbs..my wife...93..
still have 417 lbs to spare..
so we are good :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think I reached that limit yesterday. 3 guys weighing well over 200lbs + gear heading up to Big Bear.

Acceleraton was slower and going uphill used up more gas. Going downhill the Element handled the twisty road better than expected especially with the low-grip Goodyears. The vehicle felt more stable maybe because of the weight.

One major thing I noticed though was when I was parked on an incline, while backing out I didnt have any braking power! The pedal was literally on the floor to get the damn thing to stop. I should have left the engine idling longer to get the fluid pumped and circulated. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Burn619 said:
Has anyone else noticed the low total weight limit on the Element. I was putting some air in my tires the other day so I looked at the sticker inside the driver's side door to see the psi specs. I noticed the other info on there saying that the combined weight of passengers and cargo shouldn't exceed 675 lbs. Are they kidding me! That means me and my 2 brothers can't ride together in my car, 3 people in a four passenger vehicle. Yeah we're a little bigger than your average American but still! After a little research I found that the average healthy American male should weight between 120-160 lbs. So I guess by those numbers 4 people should fit in the Element leaving a little room for luggage. But how many of you guys are under 160?

Tie your youngest brother to a light weight trailer (1500 lbs. towing capacity) and all will be OK.:wink:

G.J.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I think the logical solution (doh!) is to always carry more helium balloons in the back! It's much safer than the hydrogen ones anyway! :-o

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dial Tone said:
One major thing I noticed though was when I was parked on an incline, while backing out I didnt have any braking power! The pedal was literally on the floor to get the damn thing to stop. I should have left the engine idling longer to get the fluid pumped and circulated. Anyone else experience this?
Brake fluid is not pumped or circulated and has nothing to do with idling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone know what's the limiting factor? Transmission? Suspension? Tires? I've long noticed that this number is awfully low.

If it's realistic, it's begging for a lawsuit if someone overloads the Element without realizing it (how many owners are aware of the low limit?) and something bad happens as a result.

121 - 140 of 172 Posts