Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am really getting confused. Now i hear the max this element can carry is 650 or so pounds yet on the webpage it says it can tow up to 1500 pounds. now please tell me someone messed up on their numbers here.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Roughly speaking, one weight applies against the suspension, the other against the frame. Quite common to see a difference in the two.

Iskie

·
Registered
608 Posts
....and both weight limits are correct (according to Honda). 650lbs for cargo and people, 1500 for towing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is this the only real setback i will experience with this car or is everything going to fall apart as well. i need to stop reading these board because i see too many people having problems. please tell me i am imagining everything.
and what happens if that weight limit happens to be exceeded

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, I recently read a little blurb about a snowboarding trip where the 'cargo' consisted of 8 total passengers. So, while not recommended, it seems that it has hauled double its rated capacity. I'm sure handling and power are affected as the limit is increasingly exceeded. But I'm sure that occasionally exceeding the rated limit within reason is not going to render your Element a junk heap. Just don't get caught!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Man! That is only 162.5 lbs per person.....

I guess that I will have to ask for my passenger's weight before letting them into the car :wink:

·
Registered
253 Posts
talltom, don't be afraid :( I have over 1400 miles on my E and have had no problems. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Read the tow capacity section carefully.
Most manufacturers calculate tow capacity with one driver and no luggage or options on the car. Therefore one must subtract cargo and passenger plus options weights from the tow capacity to find available tow capacity.

It does not look as it the element was meant to be a serious tow vehicle but could probably handle a sunfish or a kayak or two perhaps even a mini trailer like the ones built for small cars and motorcycles.

My element has not been delivered therefore I cannot speak to the specific tow ratings.

If possible I'd try to get a trailer with brakes and then put a brake controller on the element this way when you brake the trailer also brakes, plus if there is a breakaway ie.. the trailer gets off the hitch and decides to free run the brakes will engage with the breakaway switch and stop instead of becoming a rolling battering ram.

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts