Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

I'm the proud owner of a 2006 Element EXP with approx 60,000 miles on it. I've noticed over the last few months that when driving over bumpy terrain there's a slight knocking coming from the rear. However, over the last few weeks I've also noticed that when driving in snow/slippery conditions I'm also hearing a growling (for lack of a better term) when the all wheel drive kicks in. Also, when I turn the wheel all the way to either side (say while doing a U-turn) I'm hearing a slight growling/vibration (but only when the vehicle is moving).

I was told that this could be because I need to change the rear differential fluid. I'm not even sure the three symptoms are related. when I first starting noticing noise I just assumed that the suspension was showing it's age. But now with the other symptoms I'm just not sure.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you have not change your diff fluid twice with 60k in snow country, you should really consider it regardless it is the reason or not. ;-)
I have plan to change my diff fluid every 30k.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TMK, it's never been changed. Unless the dealer performed the change. I'll have to get out my paperwork and see.

·
Registered
873 Posts
or sway bar bushings,or let your kid out of that box in the back!!!:shock::razz::lol: just messen. just slide under er and see whats what .

·
Registered
4 Posts
bad noise in rear end

Well you might have the early stages of what I'm dealing with. I just came up from my garage to see if I can find some info regarding how to remove the half axels and differential. The U-Joint in the differential on the driver’s side has failed. My son and I got the rubber boots off both ends of the half axel and the hub that comes out of the diff which contains an internal style of u-join with 3 rollers or wheels in sockets in a loose grease bath, is all mangled and one of the rollers fell out and we can't even find the 3rd one. It looks pretty straightforward to remove the differential, but we need to get the hub and rotor off the wheel side to drop the half axel out, and so far it’s not obvious how to do that. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get the rotor and hub off to drop the half axel?

And mine is also a 2006 EXP with about 73000 miles on it, which I bought new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts