Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Last night it rained a lot, and this morning as I got to my Element, I noticed weird orange spots on all four rotors including the two brand new rear ones.
I can't say I have ever noticed this before and I have had my car for more than 4 years. I just got brand new rotors from the dealer in May. Any thoughts as to what this is? Do I have four rusty rotors? When I got the rears replaced in May they didn't say my front brakes or rotors were bad.

Thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
The rust is normal. The rotors are basically steel so they rust when they get wet. After you stop a couple times the rust will go way.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
If they get wet (driving in the rain....durrrr) your rotors will get some surface rust in as little as an hour after the car is parked. All goes away once the brakes are applied.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

good, I was worried as I spent $500 getting the brakes and rotors done. With dealers, you never know.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Nobody's going to post the old joke about oiling the rotors so they don't rust?

BTW, DON'T DO IT.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
good, I was worried as I spent $500 getting the brakes and rotors done. With dealers, you never know.
I can hear the rust grind off of my rotors every day on the way to work when backing out of the driveway and it always reminds me to say my usual "headed to work" benediction. "Oh well... Back to the daily grind..."

·
Registered
329 Posts
And when you have a stupid car salesman you can get a few hundred bucks off the price of a new Element by pointing out the rusty rotors...

Worked for me! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts