Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been away for a long time. I guess I lost that lovin' feelin :), but at the same time, I had no real issues to discuss, so that's good.

However, I was rear-ended on the way to work a few weeks ago. Got hit pretty hard. Was able to drive away afterward. The only obvious results were a smashed in rear bumper, with the cladding hanging by a thread.

But after I got out of the car and got back in it, I immediately noticed that the driver seat was a good 1 - 3 inches lower to the ground. Checked the crank that controls the seat height; it was all the way up. Car is now back from the shop -- $4300 damage!! New tailgate, bumper, all the plastic parts, etc. But the mech didn't find anything wrong to explain the seat issue.

So my question is -- can anyone think of how this might happen? Or has anyone heard of anything like this before? I am a big guy and I can accept that my arse would flatten the cushion over time, but this was sudden, obvious and unmistakable, so that's not it.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
On all cars the seat is made to bend so you dont get injured and your lower frame or seatback might be bent backwards. The seat will have to be removed and checked out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks slimerd. didn't know that. Not even sure why I'm asking -- I should have just insisted they replace it or at least look at it, but the seemed stumped, and said, "drive it, if it bothers you come back." duh...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have to agree with Slimerdog. I was rear ended years ago when I owned a Chevy Celebrity EuroSport (no commentary please!). After I was hit, I got out of the car, talked to the gentleman, then hung around until the police work was done only to get back in the car to notice that my seat was "reclined" several inches. I'm fairly large myself, especially back then, probably pushing 325 lbs (210 now!), so I can identify with the stress that was put on the seat during impact. My seat had to be replaced in addition to the other assorted body work. Be sure to have the motor mounts checked as well! Good luck!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A follow-up question then:

Should I go back to the body shop, or would I be better off at the Honda dealer shop? Assuming I get no hassles from the insurance co. either way. I do have a few other things that need taking care of, that I would probably go to Honda for.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I also had this happen when I was rear ended in a Nissan Pathfinder. I would take it to the body shop, multiple locations can cause problems with your insurance, especially when it is from the same accident.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
A follow-up question then:

Should I go back to the body shop, or would I be better off at the Honda dealer shop? Assuming I get no hassles from the insurance co. either way. I do have a few other things that need taking care of, that I would probably go to Honda for.
Go back to the body shop. They are supposed to repair your car back to the way it was before the accident. If they missed the damage to the seat they should fix it and go to the insurance company for additional reimbursement. This happens all the time: the body shop finds things the adjuster missed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again -- I took the advice above, they replaced not the whole seat but the mechanism underneath and behind (I think). Much better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have not yet seen the latest invoice (picked up the finished E after hours). It'll be in the mail and I'll report back then. I do believe that's it though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, that's the one. And they charged (the ins co) $544.92 for the part alone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts