Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on a pair of the "beam" style wipers. Everytime the wiper gets to the edge of the driver side window edge the wiper pulls water back across the window. To the point where I can not see at times... Is this happening to anyone else?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
My "beam" style Bosch ICON wipers don't do that (at any speed). There are differnt numbers for the left and right sides....does your brand make the same distinction? Maybe wrong side(s)?

·
Registered
590 Posts
bosch icon 420A and 420B work well, i have Anco Contour 20's that i think work better than the icons, they still miss the far passenger side corner... they all do, but other than that work great.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just swithced to the beam style wipers both on my E and the wife's Ody. We both like them better and neither of us has experienced this. Also, with the snow, they are not as heavy as traditional winter blades and the snow and ice has not been freezing to the blades. I went with the Rain-x brand whenever I switched.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
bosch icon 420A and 420B work well, i have Anco Contour 20's that i think work better than the icons...
Yup...the Anco's were good too. I've never heard of someone saying any of the types or brands cause water to get wiped back onto the windsheild like the OP is having a problem with. :confused:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have the same issue with the Rain-X wipers. I hypothesize that the drawing back of the water is influenced by the turbulence caused by the high profile of the A-pillar trim. The aerodynamic design of the beam style wiper creates a pocket of low pressure when it nears the edge of the windshield and the water is attracted to the void thus being drawn easily back down across the only place you really need to see through. I'm switching back to Anco or Bosch. :-(

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm bumping this old thread in hopes that there's some new wisdom. My driver's side wiper has been driving me nuts. On the upswing it works fine, but on the way back down, it either doesn't make full contact or it drags water across the windshield right in my vision path making it blurry and unsafe. At first I thought it was the blade, and I've gone through 3 sets in the past few months trying to find one that works well. The passenger side is fine. When I switch the passenger and driver's side blades it still does it on the driver's side!?!

I've used standard armature and 'mono-blade' style wipers and none have been cheap ones. Is there a tension adjustment that might help or any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I have the Rain-X blades right now, had Michelin before that and some off brand clone from Sam's Club before that. The only problem I've had was with the clones after one of the end caps broke off of two of them. The Michelins were nice and I like the Rain-X now and haven't had the problem you're talking about. I like the way these "beam style" wipers clear the water - much better than the oem blades were doing.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I'm bumping this old thread in hopes that there's some new wisdom. My driver's side wiper has been driving me nuts. On the upswing it works fine, but on the way back down, it either doesn't make full contact or it drags water across the windshield right in my vision path making it blurry and unsafe. At first I thought it was the blade, and I've gone through 3 sets in the past few months trying to find one that works well. The passenger side is fine. When I switch the passenger and driver's side blades it still does it on the driver's side!?!

I've used standard armature and 'mono-blade' style wipers and none have been cheap ones. Is there a tension adjustment that might help or any other ideas?
just a thought... have you checked/cleaned the windshield recently?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Element

Try Valeo your best bet.
Conventional blades
500-20
600-20
I would go with the 600-20
If you want a flat blade
U-20
900-20-1B
I would go with the 900-20-1B, Valeo is the OE Manufacturer supplier.

Rear Blade
R-12D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try Valeo your best bet.
Conventional blades
500-20
600-20
I would go with the 600-20
If you want a flat blade
U-20
900-20-1B
I would go with the 900-20-1B, Valeo is the OE Manufacturer supplier.

Rear Blade
R-12D
Thanks for the suggestion. Just went to the website to check them out...although I'm loathe to buy my 3rd set in about 2 months...maybe it's what needs to happen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Rain-X blades right now, had Michelin before that and some off brand clone from Sam's Club before that. The only problem I've had was with the clones after one of the end caps broke off of two of them. The Michelins were nice and I like the Rain-X now and haven't had the problem you're talking about. I like the way these "beam style" wipers clear the water - much better than the oem blades were doing.
Yep. Did the Rain-X ones too...They were the first ones I moved to...

·
Registered
751 Posts
At this point I'd be looking for something to adjust on the arm since it seems you've done everything I'd think of with the blade.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I bought the bosch wipers during a snow storm when my other blades broke. They were twice the price of my old ones but the only ones in the store that fit. I've got the dragging water problem too but after spending $40 for wipers I'm not replacing them till they wear out. It seems to go away at highway speeds. I think at slow speeds I focus on the water dragging too much; if I ignore it I can see much better.
se

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
the wiper arm may be in the wrong spot. When I had my windshield replaced the guy put the wiper too high on the window so I took off the nut and
moved it lower so it wasn't in my way at rest. If it's too high at rest it could move too far when it's straight up causing your problem. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the wiper arm may be in the wrong spot. When I had my windshield replaced the guy put the wiper too high on the window so I took off the nut and
moved it lower so it wasn't in my way at rest. If it's too high at rest it could move too far when it's straight up causing your problem. Just a thought.
[FONT=&quot]Good suggestion! Thanks! At this point, I have 3 sets of backup wipers that are all in new/unworn condition so I’ve kind of ruled out the ‘pick a different wiper’ method of fixing this. I’m going to try ‘lowering’ the blade however much it will allow and see if that helps. I’ll also scope out the tensioning spring and see if there’s an adjustment on that. It’s funny that some notice it at low speed, because I notice it more at highway speeds…but that might just be the fact that at higher speeds more water is collecting on the windshield, but I also thought maybe the wind-pressure might be lifting the blade on the down stroke.[/FONT]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts