Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after trying for a couple of months to sell my 05 EX (details of which can be found elsewhere in old threads), i figured it might be worth it to forget selling it and buying an R32. soooo....

the E went into teh shop Monday.

this is wha'happnin:

- Kenwood DNX9140 Navi/badass head unit.
- Kenwood Sirius doflotchie (wanted HD Radio also, but only get one or the other on this unit. only major failure i can pinpoint, and not that major IMO)
- back-up camera (mounted to the bottom of the brake lamp inside the tailgate)
- iPod connector and USB connection wired into the glove box
- JL Audio HD750/1 subwoofer amplifier installed where previous McIntosh CD Changer was mounted.
- MBQuart QSD216 (the last of the great Qs) components front, with custom crossover mounting in the door panels with removable covers. (the things are enormous. bigger than many excellent home audio crossovers. plus they look rad.)
- the Quarts will now be biamped (!!!) off of the McIntosh MCC404 that previously served the Memphis SoundQs both front and rear.
- the memphis mids from the front are going into the back location and will be powered by the McIntosh MCC302 that previously served the subwoofers.
- the McIntosh rotary sub control is being replaced by the JL Audio version, since the subs (JL10w6 x 2) are being powered by said HD750.

I was originally going to go with the Alpine IWA505P1, but after a disastrous conversation with a rep in which i found that:
a) the unit freezes almost daily if you have more than 2 modules (bluetooth, HD Radio, Sat Radio) connected, and resets. big pain if you're using the navi in a city.
b) Alpine has no plans to make the 505 iPhone 3G compatible. ever. answer to that question? "next year's models will be compatible." the kenwood is already 3Gs compatible, with no issues.

I was hesitant to purchase kenwood, but after operating it and reading about it a bit, i feel comfortable with the purchase. the amps in the back make up for any loss in sound quality, which may be a moot point in general.

Biamping the fronts took some time to decide on. It gives me much more control and EQ power overall, but makes tuning quite a bit fussier. it'll probably take a few hot saturdays with a friend or two before I have it nailed.

I havent yet figured out what to do with the McIntosh meters...they arent too deep, but I can't come up with something yet that wouldn't look slapdash or added-on...we're thinking on that.

but hey...I imagine its worth it. Im honestly really glad i decided not to sell my element...shes been such a great car, no one could ever pay me what shes worth.

which is good - losing that McIntosh system may have been slightly insane.

:D

pics'll be up when i pick her up.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Show picks! And you didnt want a R32, my buddies is always in the shop, thank god its still under warranty or he would be out thousands.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Show picks! And you didnt want a R32, my buddies is always in the shop, thank god its still under warranty or he would be out thousands.
ill be able to post pics when she gets out of the shop...which was supposed to be this afternoon, but appears like it will be tomorrow afternoon.

R32 can be a bastard, for sure...there are countless reasons why a) i love the car and want one badly; and b) know the thing is a VW and will break all the time. gotta love honda, nawmean?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
picked up the car today.

a couple of small details to sort out and a couple more screws to tighten down...but good grief.

the mcintosh system was pretty rad.

this bastard is properly righteous!!!

pics to follow soon!!!

now got to drive home from my girls (2 hours home).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here some pics i got today. i used my tiny sony point-and-click, so some of the photos might end up a bit blurry. imma try to get my friend over here with her DSLR sometime soon for better pics.

startup screen:

iPod display:

backup cam:

sub box / mains amp / rear amp:

HD750/1 in custom location, only the service panel is visible:

the box is where the amp is...used to be a CD changer in the location.
(sorry for blurry):

backup cam mounted inside (almost invisible from outside):

you cant see the extra dynamat in the doors. they're deader than sookie stackhouse's grandma. really.

sound is astonishing. i thought it was good before, but having such control over the tweets/mids up front, plus the 13-band graphic EQ and other toys in the HU, and this thing just sounds amazing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
moar:

dash w/ nav on:

new filled-in door panels, with a window to see the Quart Crossovers (finished in black vinyl to match leather seats & sub box):

closeup of crossover window (sorry for the washout from flash!)

closeup of door panel, and the finishing on the bottom rows:

Quart tweeters and grilles, painted to match the interior (tweets wouldnt fit under factory grilles and i like the subtle badging!):

:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Looks awesome!! I like the tweets a lot, also, you need more pics of the sub box, atleast one from 10 ft behind the E.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ill see what i can do tomorrow.

thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its a volkswagen golf with a 3.2L VR6 motor, AWD, and a DSG Transmission.

its the uber-golf, so to speak. i was interested in something with a bit more bite than the element.

then i remembered how much i loved my E, and how reliable she's been.

so here i am.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts