Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and the shop that I use told me they wouldn't do the oil change because of fire issues from the filter loosening and oil spray catching fire on hot exhaust parts. Anyone else ever hear of this? It was the first I had heard of this.

So dealer for service I guess.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
tell them that it wouldn't be a problem if they did it right. Seriously. It happened to some CRVs but it was a double gasket problem (tech's fault not Honda's).

Go somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yeah, that shop is staffed by total idiots - go elswhere. The issue was only on 2003 and 2004 models, and was traced back to the type of rubber compound being used for the oil seal gasket on the factory installed oil filters. Would get too sticky and stay on the crank case when the oill filter was removed. If the service guy didn't follow standard procedure to ensure the surface as clear when the new filter was installed, and put on a new filter on top of the old gasket, oil would leak out onto the exhaust manifold. They changed the oill filter gasket compound years ago. Hasn't been a problem since late '04, and then only if the service guy was a tool.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sounds like that shop wasn't interested in your business. Any mechanic with half a brain could have figured out what the problem was. Maybe they were all first time employees. Stay clear of those guys.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm not a fan of quick-lube places or run-of-the-mill general service garages for the simple fact that it's all about getting people in and out quick and they don't screen their employees very well. Shops have two choices...quality or quantity, but never 100% of both 100% of the time. Most of the time they want quantity because that's what brings in the most money.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Don't need to add anything here...

Ditto to all of above. That was the CRV and it was a tech double rubber gasket and closed eyes when screwing on new filter install ERROR. I have the 2002 CRV with my 2006 E. Happy DRIVING - do the oil yourself!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts