Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I'm upset. I thought Freeman Honda would help me out better than this~~ 3 months ago on this 2003 Honda Element, that I aquired used from another Dealership about 2 years ago, a crack at the top appeared. Since I did not know how it got there, I just watched it. It is about 6 inches crooked long. Well last night here in Dallas parked in my driveway with a little frost on windshield, I woke up to a long 2 foot crack along the bottom with a little pebble like crack in the center. I was scared to use my wipers and stared back at it every chance I could. Studying what had happened to my car overnite. I get to work later and find on the Internet, where there was this California Sumpreme Court class action suit. I print it out and head to Honda after work, today. Long story short, he says ma'am, this has expired and hands me a printout that says 2006, 60,000 and whichever comes first. I go, no but this says owners that purchased 2002 and 2006 were notified, I just got this car. My car has 99,500 miles on it, I got it with 64,000 on it, or was it 46,000. He says, I can give you an estimate if you want it. I say ok go ahead (so I can show somebody all this stuff, I think). He comes back with ......$649! I say, can I speak with your manager? He says, you have to come back tomorrow after 8p.m. What ARE my real options with this problem? "I can't use my insurance." Hubby had tires/rims stolen 6 months ago and they've already gone up on me. Do I have a case or not??? Anbody know of a cheaper service other than Honda in Dallas?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Please go to an auto glass shop, not the dealer for a windshield. Should cost $225 to $250 and most glass shops know about the 2003 "grind/flatten the weld" that caused a lot of the cracked windshields.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
What he said. :)

You prolly don't have a case w/ Honda....it is an older car with plenty of miles on it. Stuff happens....windsheilds crack.

See the windsheild sticky at the top of the page....everything you could wanna know about E windsheilds & cracking is there.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
True. If there was any rock hits then it was not covered. It was the early 03s that had a bad seam that caused cracking that would just show up. They ar cheap enough to just get replaced but watch out for the side trim clips as they break very easy but are cheap to get from Honda. I am going on my 4th windshield. Lots of gravel and they put cinders on the roads here in the winter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Definitely get it done through a glass shop since that is what Honda does anyway. Dealerships do not replace windshields or so I was told by a couple of them around here. I will give all the service managers credit they all told me who they use instead of having me bring it there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Should cost $225 to $250 and most glass shops know about the 2003 "grind/flatten the weld" that caused a lot of the cracked windshields.
Man, I gotta go south of the border for a new window. Ours just cracked and we got quoted a price of $550 and $700. For now, we're living with the crack.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Man, I gotta go south of the border for a new window. Ours just cracked and we got quoted a price of $550 and $700. For now, we're living with the crack.
I agree there!
I was told $550 from Apple Auto Glass...

The crack has been there for 2 years now...another won't kill it (and it WAS a stone chip)

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletind) out on the cracked windshield problem.
I'm at work but it's on my hard drive at home.
There were three nubs of steel that need to be shaved off (sanded down) and then a new windshield (of any brand), but windshield will crack again if the nubs are not removed.
The TSB describes this and with pictures.
There is a range of vin numbers it covers.

Cracks starting from the stress are usually dead center or far left or right, over the nub areas.

I have an '03 but they (the dealer) conceded it was a stress crack and replaced the windshield and my vin number was outside the range.
I agree Honda glass is crappy, but it was free.....
Search for TSB or remind me with a pm and I'll post it later.

jurn

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
crack at the top
Not related to the stress crack addressed by the TSB, which starts at a bottom corner. Also, it's unlikely that a 2003 with an uncorrected weld would go this long without a problem.

2 foot crack along the bottom with a little pebble like crack in the center .
If I understand this correctly, it's a rock strike. OP didn't say whether it started at a corner, but it doesn't sound that way.

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
Not related to the stress crack addressed by the TSB, which starts at a bottom corner. Also, it's unlikely that a 2003 with an uncorrected weld would go this long without a problem.

If I understand this correctly, it's a rock strike. OP didn't say whether it started at a corner, but it doesn't sound that way.

Although my stress crack started in the middle over the center nub, none the less, I read the posters post to fast and didn't realize there was a pebble strike.......so you're right Rambler, and it would have been a prob sooner than this seeing as it's a 2003.
Once again, you've cleaned up after me.

Good thing for admins like you....:)

jurn

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Keep in mind that a rock hit can produce a chip or small star that you don't notice until it starts to grow. Some hits are stable for years, others spread right away. Temperature changes are a major cause a spreading crack. I've seen a crack grow while running defrost (on another car). Washing the car in hot weather is another cause - the cold water produces a quick change in the hot glass.

Hits close to the edge of the glass are more likely to spread. This seems especially true of ones within a few inches of the base.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts