Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a green 2004 EX
The plastics on it are completely gone. We have tried all of the well-known and lesser known options but they still look shotty.
We are DEFINITELY going to have them professionally painted.

Here’s the question: do we paint them a charcoal grey type color or a darker olive type great color?
The grayish is pretty stock looking. The dark green with the lighter green would be unique for sure.
What’s your vote?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,328 Posts
Paint them any color you want, our opinions don't really matter. I can turn the rear quarter and tailgate skins into Kiwi Green. There was a member on here recently who gave them a good cleaning with a power washer and maybe a solvent to get all the crap off; he said they looked real good afterward.

Found the thread: This may sound crazy, but my striped panel solution | Honda Element Owners Club

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,436 Posts
I have a green 2004 EX
The plastics on it are completely gone. We have tried all of the well-known and lesser known options but they still look shotty.
We are DEFINITELY going to have them professionally painted.

Here’s the question: do we paint them a charcoal grey type color or a darker olive type great color?
The grayish is pretty stock looking. The dark green with the lighter green would be unique for sure.
What’s your vote?
How about painting the panels in your body color, Galapagos Green? Honda started making what is called the EX-P model with body color side panels in 2006, but Galapagos Green (one of my favorite Element colors) was discontinued by then. However you could create a unique Galapagos Green EX-P! :)

If you want to stay with a stock look, and are unable to make your panels look good by cleaning them, the Duplicolor Trim and Bumper paint in aerosol can and in the Dark Charcoal Gray color is a pretty close match to your original panel color. I painted my roof panels with this paint over 2 years ago and it still looks great after being in the FL sun the whole time.

Here's a link; scroll down to post number 2738:

What did you do to your Element today? | Page 137 | Honda Element Owners Club

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was worried that this would devolve into ways to “bring them back”. We’ve tried all of that..heat guns, over the counter products, and stuff that you can’t buy at Autozone type stores. We aren’t sure what happened but these are beyond that. I’ve never seen anything like this on any vehicle. We tried everything.
So that said...we are painting them. And yes, the paint will chip off “IF” the plastic isn’t prepped properly and “IF” the correct paint product isn’t used. But with the right product and procedure, the paint won’t chip.
But that said,what does everyone think about painting them a dark green to accent the light green?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I was worried that this would devolve into ways to “bring them back”. We’ve tried all of that..heat guns, over the counter products, and stuff that you can’t buy at Autozone type stores. We aren’t sure what happened but these are beyond that. I’ve never seen anything like this on any vehicle. We tried everything.
So that said...we are painting them. And yes, the paint will chip off “IF” the plastic isn’t prepped properly and “IF” the correct paint product isn’t used. But with the right product and procedure, the paint won’t chip.
But that said,what does everyone think about painting them a dark green to accent the light green?
I remember wanting to do this years back and two body shops turned me down saying that our panels are very hard to prep for paint, and that once painted it would not match the rest of the car perfectly (I wanted the Element all same color) due to plastic foundation versus metal. One guy on the forum painted them gloss black.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,436 Posts
When I painted my roof panels, the only real prep I did was to scuff them thoroughly (enough to remove all the gloss) with a dark red Scotch Brite pad. Didn't even take them off of the car; just masked them off and sprayed them.

The Duplicolor Trim & Bumper paint in dark charcoal gray color is a very close match in both color and sheen to the panels original finish. Even with the scuffing, most of the texture remained as well.

Now admittedly, the roof panels are not in an area that I come in contact with except to wash the roof (no roof rack). But there is no problem at all with adhesion after 2+ years in the FL sun. I'm pretty sure that the side panels are made of the same material as the roof panels.

As to the color you pick, that's entirely up to you! :)

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think you have a great idea to paint them a similar green that would contrast the Galapagos Green.
I would first though, paint the color you are thinking on something you can adhere to the panels to test and see how it will look.
Try to cover as much of the grey/black panel so it doesn't interfere with your eye reference.
Good Luck and post some pictures!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Someone in my local area painted the trim on their 2008 Kiwi Green EX a matching color. It makes me stop and look every time I see it. And, like me, they painted the side view mirror covers to match. Whatever color you decide on, make sure you do the mirrors.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Maybe see if they can be wrapped?
I'm pretty sure the side view mirrors can be wrapped, but if you have an car painter that is going to prep and paint the plastic then this is a small increase in the job and you will get a perfect color match.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Picking a darker green colour could be tricky. It is important to understand things like colour temperature, tint, shade, tone, value, chroma, etc.

Even getting the right grey or black to properly go with the galapagos green still requires an understanding of proper colour choice for a contrasting or accent colour.

If you have any designer friends they can help alot with this. When I studied design in college we had to do a full semester introductory course just on colours alone.

This guy on youtube has some good videos about colour. Have a look at a few of his videos. Also you can look at paint colour strips from a house paint store like benjamin moore or some designer books about colour and they will show colour charts and strips and you can get a good idea what goes well with what

Painting the plastic panels to exactly match the metal panels is difficult, even cars with painted plastic bumpers don't always match the metal painted panels well from the factory.

Good luck I can't wait to see how this turns out, my E is also Galapagos green.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts