Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed kenwood dnx7140 with kenwood CCD-2000 as a rear view camera. so far everything appears to be functional. But I have 1 problem with the rear view camera.

the camera work fine when I have it in reverse.but when I am driving , it doesn't work anymore. I used the reverse light wire:
green/white located fuse box, 18 pin plug, pin 1. and I used add-a-circuit on #2(rear accessory power socket) and I grounded the black wire. it looks to be ok, so I am not sure what did I do wrong

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
It sounds like it's working the way it was designed!

It only has power when the E is in reverse. Any other gear selector position will shut it off.

What do you want it to do?

Dom

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The way I am reading this is....you hooked the reverse camera trigger wire from the Kenwoood unit to the E's reverse light wire and then got power and ground from circuit #2 on E to power the camera whenever the ignition is on....is this correct?

If so and you want to the camera to be "on screen" during normal driving, you may be required to 'y' your video signal into the camera input and an optional video input OR you just may have to configure you settings differently.

I know on my AVIC-D3, when I am in NAV mode, I can just bring up the rear view camera up on screen while driving. My camera does not get power only when in reverse, it has power whenever the ignition is on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for all the confusion. I am not clear enough for what I want.

The goal is have the camera trigger on screen on reverse(which it is right now), and have the camera working while driving. which is suppose to be possible by holding a press for more than 1 seconds.

However, now when I have the gear in reverse, it will trigger, so no problem there, and while still in reverse, I go switch out to nav screen, then hold a button for 1 second, I can see the camera on screen.

but if I am not in reverse, the camera doesn't work. I can still go to my rear view camera screen but it will just all blank. it looks like there is no power.

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
you need to clip the wire that goes to the power side of your reverse camera about 5 inches of so from where you tapped it into the reverse wire in the truck. put a diode in with the cathode (the side that has the strip/band around it) going towards the camera. hook a wire into that side of the diode in addition to the one that goes out to the camera and run it thru a switch somewhere to switched ignition power. that will allow the switch or the reverse in the truck to power on the camera but not cause the reverse lamps to come on when you turn the switch on. you could also just clip the reverse wire loose and run the camera power to switched ignition power so it powers on all the time when the truck is on

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
you need to clip the wire that goes to the power side of your reverse camera about 5 inches of so from where you tapped it into the reverse wire in the truck. put a diode in with the cathode (the side that has the strip/band around it) going towards the camera. hook a wire into that side of the diode in addition to the one that goes out to the camera and run it thru a switch somewhere to switched ignition power. that will allow the switch or the reverse in the truck to power on the camera but not cause the reverse lamps to come on when you turn the switch on. you could also just clip the reverse wire loose and run the camera power to switched ignition power so it powers on all the time when the truck is on
That's pretty much exactly how I wired the switch on my unit. The camera comes on in reverse and anytime I like by a simple flick of the switch.It works great. :cool:

Here's my switch,it's just a round on/off rocker switch.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice, what kind of switch is that, is that a on-off-on switch. I went to auto shop like pepboy, and some other, they have some BIG switch. Plus, I wasn't sure if it was a right switch too

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
have seen this picture before on another thread and it looks like nothing there too. what exactly are you trying to show with it?
That's exactly the point of why I chose that location...it's supposed to look like nothing is there.:D It's my switch to turn my camera on while driving/anytime,just as you were describing.:) Look to the right of the corner of my dash,you can just barely see a portion of the switch. I have it mounted pointing upwards,so my hand easily falls to it. Seeing the switch is really not neccessary.:cool: (I guess I should probably take a better picture,so it's easier for others to see it.)

nice, what kind of switch is that, is that a on-off-on switch. I went to auto shop like pepboy, and some other, they have some BIG switch. Plus, I wasn't sure if it was a right switch too
Yes,it's just a simple on/off switch.(I listed it under my pic,but I guess you missed it.):)

Here's the switch I used.

^^If you plan on installing your switch in the same location as mine,make sure you really pay attention to where you're drilling,because there's not a whole lot of room in that spot to work with,since part of the dash bracketry is around that same area.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
That's exactly the point of why I chose that location...it's supposed to look like nothing is there.:D It's my switch to turn my camera on while driving/anytime,just as you were describing.:) Look to the right of the corner of my dash,you can just barely see a portion of the switch. I have it mounted pointing upwards,so my hand easily falls to it. Seeing the switch is really not neccessary.:cool: (I guess I should probably take a better picture,so it's easier for others to see it.)

Yes,it's just a simple on/off switch.(I listed it under my pic,but I guess you missed it.):)

Here's the switch I used.

^^If you plan on installing your switch in the same location as mine,make sure you really pay attention to where you're drilling,because there's not a whole lot of room in that spot to work with,since part of the dash bracketry is around that same area.

yeah i know what you were going for with it being "hidden" but maybe a second picture of what it actually was would be nice... :) i could take a picture of the inside of my dash and play "look what i did can you guess all the hidden stuff" too. ;-)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
do you live in FL? seems most everybody in FL look everywhere but where thier going.:D:lol:
Who me? No just as the member who started this thread,I live in Maryland.:)

I actually rarely turn my camera on while driving,but the times I do,I find it extremely helpful.:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is something that I really want to get done. it is like the last road block for me. Yoda E SC post kinda make sense to me, but I am not to familiar with diode and cathode. if someone be so kind that can post a diagram or something, that will be super helpful for me. and I am sure it will be helpful for other E owner in the future too. and of course, I will throw in a can of beer.

Also, probably kinda sidetrack a little. right now I grounded the parking wire, reverse wire and mute wire, so I have like 3 ground wires hanging around. My friend said I should be able to combine all 3 to a single point and ground it using 1 wire. or I can just tap all 3 wire onto the black wire on the harness(which is ground). I don't mind having 3 ground wires hanging around, but it will be nice to just use 1 or just tap onto the ground wire on the harness. is it something ok to do?

Thanks in advance. I am with Eww-an E, I also live in maryland, I might have to drive down to visit him one day and check out his E :)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
yeah i know what you were going for with it being "hidden" but maybe a second picture of what it actually was would be nice... :) i could take a picture of the inside of my dash and play "look what i did can you guess all the hidden stuff" too. ;-)
I'll try to take a picture from underneath,I just thought since most people on here are familar with the Element dash,they would see it.:) I'd like to see a picture of your dash,since I like finding/seeing others ideas for hidden accessories and such.:cool:

this is something that I really want to get done. it is like the last road block for me. Yoda E SC post kinda make sense to me, but I am not to familiar with diode and cathode. if someone be so kind that can post a diagram or something, that will be super helpful for me. and I am sure it will be helpful for other E owner in the future too. and of course, I will throw in a can of beer.

Also, probably kinda sidetrack a little. right now I grounded the parking wire, reverse wire and mute wire, so I have like 3 ground wires hanging around. My friend said I should be able to combine all 3 to a single point and ground it using 1 wire. or I can just tap all 3 wire onto the black wire on the harness(which is ground). I don't mind having 3 ground wires hanging around, but it will be nice to just use 1 or just tap onto the ground wire on the harness. is it something ok to do?

Thanks in advance. I am with Eww-an E, I also live in maryland, I might have to drive down to visit him one day and check out his E :)
Here's a very helpful and very informative link that tells you all about diodes.
http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp

Oh and yes connecting all three of those grounds is fine.;-)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
now it makes alot of sense.

but now I think about it more. if I keep the reverse wire the way it is now(tapped onto the reverse light wire), and I tap my red wire(camera power) to the red wire from the radio harness(acc/switch), that should keep my camera on at all time right?

but I guess the question is do I want to keep the camera on at all time.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

but now I think about it more. if I keep the reverse wire the way it is now(tapped onto the reverse light wire), and I tap my red wire(camera power) to the red wire from the radio harness(acc/switch), that should keep my camera on at all time right?

if you do that without a diode in there you will have reverse lamps on when ever the truck is on too. try it :)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

If you keep it as you've described,the monitor won't see a 12volt signal to trigger/turn on the units inputs,to show the reverse camera image. By adding the switch with a diode,you're sending a 12volt signal which will trigger that input and allow you to see the image.:cool: I have my camera on all the time,since I chose to wire it in with the headunits switched power source. Just as Yoda E SC said,you will definitely need a diode.The diode will prevent the 12volt signal coming off the switch from back feeding to the reverse lights,which in turn would turn your reverse lights on anytime the switch would be on.<Not a good look going down the road.lol:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol, you are totally right about that, I will give that a go on the weekend and see what is up.

Now, I just realized that I have another problem, I have a antenna adapter and 70-1725 harness, so I wired the blue wire (from the antenna adapter) to the headunit, and the blue/white wire( should be amp turn on) to the blue/white wire on the unit. but it looks like my sub is not working. any idea?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
lol, you are totally right about that, I will give that a go on the weekend and see what is up.

Now, I just realized that I have another problem, I have a antenna adapter and 70-1725 harness, so I wired the blue wire (from the antenna adapter) to the headunit, and the blue/white wire( should be amp turn on) to the blue/white wire on the unit. but it looks like my sub is not working. any idea?
That harness doesn't have an rca for the subwoofer,you actually will need to make your own rca connector for it to work. It's quite simple and there's actually a bunch of threads/posts about it on here.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2464&page=9
^^This one might be of help to you.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts