Honda Element Owners Club banner

What did I fry? Jumped battery with way too much voltage

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ELLASLO 
#1 ·
i already know how stupid it was, so save your time

i was in morning fog on my way to work and had a dead battery.
instead of waiting for a car to come by and jump me, i grabbed my bldg main. guy's golf cart.
it was 12v... but in series. duh.
sparks flew, hellfire shot everywhere.
battery totally dead.
upon power being supplied abs starts whizzing.
changed the blown looking fuse for ecu right before it was picked up by the tow to my mechanic. i think he said all he knows is fuse box not getting power

what did i fry? no power to nothing
thanks for helping a moron

12 volts is good, golf carts are bad for jumping cars. lesson learned. series vs parallel etc .... trust me, i get it.

#3 ·
nah, just the blue fuse (10a?)... maybe was slot 26? or 16.

yeah that was not a fun way to start the day. i only have 120,000 miles and a lifetime drivetrain warranty. bought brand new in 2010 from houston dealer. ive changed everything. ran perfect.

still waiting to hear from my local mechanic. if he cant figure it out, ill tow to honda dealer here. let them figure it out.

i got aaa, so the tow and jump attempt after frying it were free. aaa rocks.

hopefully it was just a wire got too hot and can be replaced. the jumpers were hot thats for sure. sketchy stuff taking them off

#8 ·
It’s possible there was some failure that killed the battery in the first place because it was acting real weird when I thought all I needed was a jump. Hopefully the extra juice just killed the battery. Whatever was broken before and cause a dead battery has something to do with abs and or a pump motor. Idk.

#9 ·
Are you sure you didn't reverse polarity when jump starting?? I don't think jumpers would get hot if it was just over voltage

Reverse polarity will cause more damage for sure..

Reactions: nutzack
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.