Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the Element for its ability to haul a lot of stuff. But... what are all of your thoughts on the Fit? How much can it haul? Maybe some loaded Fit pics are in order as well as loaded Element pics. I am thinking of buying a Fit and want to know how much crap I can put in it. Are there any Element/Fit owners out there that can compare?:sport022:

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I suggest going over to the fit owners club site.......................

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda Fit

I had a 2008 Honda Fit for the last 2 years and I loved the little car but recently bought a new 2009 Honda Element and love it more:). The Fit was a great little car and it did hold alot of stuff as the back seat folds completly flat. I have 2 medium sized dogs and they had lots of room. Winter time I had difficulty getting in and out of my street somedays as the bottom clearance of the Fit isn't much. Winter is coming again I didn't want to spend the winter cursing and swearing that I couldn't get down a street or over a small snow mound so I bought a 4x4 Element and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've driven the 2010 Fit back to back with the 2011 Fiesta.

The Fit is way more useful because of that back seat that does all the neat folds. I could probably fit my bike in the space vacated by the back seat in a Fit by just popping off the front wheel. I personally didn't like the seats in the Fit, as it was shaped all wrong for me, and after a few minutes I was done. I can't imagine taking a trip in one for that very reason. The interior materials (dash and the like) are not too different from the Element, low rent plastics that work just fine. The high-end Fit gets navigation and a decent stereo.

The Fiesta is much less useful, but much more fun to drive. It's about as quick as a Fit acceleration-wise (I'm sure some auto mag would call it one way or the other, but the differences aren't noticeable), but the Fiesta handles much better. Where the Fit starts to nose-dive and wallow a bit into corners, the Fiesta is flat and sure (I actually nearly lost it with the Fit on the handling course because I drove the Fiesta first and entered a corner way too fast for the Fit). The Fiesta gets Sync (voice command), but no full-screen nav (it's a voice turn-by-turn thing instead). Fiesta has a much nicer interior, and it doesn't use a lot of low-rent materials. Fiesta also has much more comfortable seats that didn't dig into my back.

If you're looking at nothing but how much crap you can shove into the car, then the Fit is the better option. Fit has more overall cargo space and much more flexibility in terms of interior configurability. If you're looking at handling and interior quality, Fiesta is the better option. Seats are a very personal thing, so make your own calls there. If you're looking at technology and whatnot, Fiesta is the better choice because of the Sync and push-button-start.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I too like the Fiesta better than the Fit. I have owned 3 Honda's including my E so I am a Honda lover. BUT- the Fiesta is a great little vehicle. I drove a euro spec one here in Vegas and really loved it. It was a manual and the trans had a great feel. It had a ton of power, handled great and the fit and finish was impressive. I checked out the Fit and just didn't like it. I also think the Fiesta is cheaper and gets better mileage if I'm not mistaken. There's my 2 cents.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm going to go with the Element. The Fiesta isn't even an option due to the fact that it can't hold my bass guitar amp. Plus, I think the extra clearance and 4wd would be tons better than the fit in the winter. If I lived someplace where it didn't snow, I would probably go with the Fit. My Accord does ok in snow until it gets deep.

Orangee...:060:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I own both. Our 07 Fit does fine in the snow, though not as well as the E. The fit is functional and efficient, but I don't like it. We have had to replace the clutch at only 37k miles, and it just seems to thin and entry level.

·
Registered
872 Posts
mini preious?? but it is pressoius:shock: I like it.but the questions is do the spellen teachers like it??? well does ya??:razz:

·
Registered
282 Posts
My girlfriend has a Fit and she is always jealous of my Element. Take that as you will...

Also, the 4WD Element does WAY better in my windy/hilly roads in winter than the Fit does. She's actually scared to drive around my neighborhood with it and says the Element makes her feel more secure.

I've driven her Fit a few times and it's a great little car. But just remember, the two vehicles are Apples & Oranges when it comes to functionality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have friends who have had a fit since they first came out and they like it. I have ridden in it quite a bit and find it to be less than comfortable compared to the E. I'm just over 6 feet tall and it just feels small and cramped even with the seat back and I'm not a big guy.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Funny I just happened to wander by here...

I had a 06 Element EX-P AWD MT for three years, from '06 until '09. I traded it for a '10 Honda Fit Sport AT.

I don't live in a snowy area anymore, nor do I plan to live in a snowy place again or forsee myself doing it in the near future, so that's not high on my concern list. Up in Canada, the Civic, Corolla, and Mazda3 are top selling cars #'s 2, 3, and 4 respectively, so I can't imagine there are many places in the US where a Fit wouldn't work with good snow tires, unless you live in a place where you need actual 4x4, in which case you probably wouldn't want an Element with it's pseudo-4-wheel-drive and precariously suspended gas-tank.

Power - less powerful, but less weight. The feeling is less torquey, more revvy, but otherwise about the same.

Ride - You trade the bouncy, unsettled Element for firm, sharp jolts (with the Sport suspension at least). Not really any more or less comfortable, but different.

Handling - The Fit is about a bazillion times better. The Element SC may have sharper handling in this regard, but my EX-P always felt a bit top-heavy. Swerve in traffic, and you could feel the whole car lean over. Drop and gear and try to have some fun on a twisty mountain road or a tight cloverleaf, and the tires would start howling in protest as the world listed sideways.

Back seat - The back seat in the fit is WAY more comfortable than the tiny Element seats, but have nowhere near the legroom. The doors are far more convenient.

Cargo - Strangely, I'd almost call this a draw. The Element's listed cargo volumes are: 24, 70, and 75 cubic feet (seats in place, seats stowed, seats removed). The Fit counters with moderately less: 21 with rear seats in place, 57 with them folded flat. That said, you don't have to lift items over the tailgate to put them in, and the Magic Seats are pretty freakin' magical. I routinely stick my mountain-bike across the rear seat area with just the bottoms of the seats flipped up.
Going from passenger seats to a flat cargo floor is simple easier in the Fit
There are no giant seats that have to be heaved up against the wall and carabinered. It's a quick one handed motion, and the seats fold flat against the rear footwell. The fit has less space, but it's easier to switch it to cargo mode, and doesn't block your rear quarter vision when the seats are folded.

Comfort - this one is always subjective. The Element and Fit are both a bit short on front legroom. The Fit has more agressively bolstered seats, a well designed dead pedal, and rake/reach adjustment on the steering wheel. I added Clazzio leatherette covers to mine for easier cleanup - I got spoiled on the Element's seats that seem impervious to stains, lint, etc.

For the record, I'm 6'1 with long legs, around 185 lbs.

Fuel Economy. Again, much better with the Fit. Around town, I get about 26 MPG (in the Element, I was getting 18 - lots of stop/go, hill climbing). On the highway, I vary between about 37 and 45 depending on traffic and elevation changes.

Overall, I'm happier with the Fit - It's more convenient, more comfortable, better handling, and for the occasions that I need to haul some junk, it holds plenty. I like the visibility better, and overall, it offers more fun for driving. I still highly recommend the Element to anyone who is interested, but after a Jeep, GMC truck, CR-V, and the Element, I missed the feel (and light thirst)of a lower car, and missed my old Civic Coupe.

Safety - This isn't an area I'm particularly worried about. The Fit is far more agile, so avoiding a crash in the first place should be more feasible. Head on collisions account for only 2% of crashes, and avoiding them in the first place (and avoiding them without losing control and possibly rolling) is better in my eyes than just bracing and letting Newton's forces run their course. Side impact you can't swerve around... but the Fit's side impact tests were fine, and unlike forward impacts (which are heavily dependent on vehicle weight) side impacts are based on the weight of an outside force, and thus comparable between vehicles.

Next time I have the cargo hold filled with junk, I'll try to remember to pop on here and post a pic

I once put a Christmas Tree in mine... I don't have any other good photos of hauling junk...

A few others on the FitFreak.net message board have posted some strange stuff...

Dryer

Water Heater

NOTE: The rest of the pics are of the first generation Fit, which only had 42 cubic feet of cargo space with the seats all down.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thanks for all of the great input FLOBOX.
OK... thought I'd add this in there:

From Motortrend (2006 Element):
Cargo area dimensions: length (inches): 66.7, front width (inches): 38.7, width between arches (inches): 38.7 and height (inches): 47.6
My quick measurements of the cargo area:

55" long, 42 inches wide, 40 inches high.

That gives you a much more objective comparison of the cargo areas.

Flipping up the "magic seats" gives you a space that is between 52 and 48 inches high, depending on whether you're on the center hump. A big downside from the Element is the sizes of the openings. The rear hatch isn't as large as the space, so some particularly bulky items can be a pain, and the side doors don't open 90 degrees for easy loading.

For straight cargo hauling, it doesn't compare to the Element, but the tradeoffs were worthwhile for me. The car doesn't have the same pure utility, but is far more fun to drive... I'd done the SUV thing long enough, and was ready to go back to a lower car. The cargo volume is far better than most compact hatches and wagons. At 57 cubic feet, the max cargo volume is larger than:

Toyota Yaris (26)
Nissan Versa (50)
Mazda3 (43)
Subaru Impreza 5-door (44)
Kia Soul (53)
Toyota Matrix (49)
VW Golf (48)
Suzuki SX4 (54)

Surprisingly, it approaches the cargo volume in many smaller SUVs:
Xterra (66)
Liberty (64)

For something that can easily pull in 40+ mpg on the highway, and handles like a go-kart, it's pretty impressive.

It seems like a Fit and Element would make a terrific combo for a two-car family. The Element for dirty loads and nasty weather, the Fit as a fuel-sipping commuter and backroads fun-car (driving the Element down a road like Hwy 1 through Big Sur made me want to cry inside...).

EDIT: BTW, I've seen an Element around here with a EOC sticker on the back window, usually when I drop my daughters off at school. If you ever drop your kid(s) off for school on the half-loop at Miguel Ct. and see a silver Fit with a "My other car is a Tardis" sticker, that's me.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The one thing that I noticed when test driving the Fit was that I couldn't see the speedometer when driving. I had the seat and the steering wheel to where I was comfortable and then looked down and the steering wheel was blocking the view. Anyway, I still think I am leaning towards the Element. The more I look at the Fit, the more it reminds me of a Prius. I'm not a fan of the Prius. I actually wish they made a heavier duty Element that was more off road capable. I'm not a super macho man, but pretend to be sometimes.:razz:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I have an '05 E and my wife drives a 2010 Fit. Without rehashing everything that has been said here already, I love them both. However, had the Fit been on the market when I got the E, I would have gone with the Fit instead.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
My only comment on the Fit is that I've seen the wreckage of two of them after what I'd call moderate "fender bender" accidents and the passengers inside didn't fare very well at all. The amazing stories you see here about how well the Element protected the riders in crashes? The Fit seems to be at the opposite end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts