Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing a lot of stop and go traffic the other day and noticed that my son's stroller and miscellaneous stuff is always sliding around the rear cargo area, and it's enough to drive you nuts.

I saw the cargo organizer on HandA, but that won't work, especially with a stroller. Any ideas?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think the cheapest way is to use bungee cords or cargo nets for fancier option. In my VW, I had gorilla mat which came with four L shape walls with velcro on the bottom of them that I could use to secure objects and stoping them from rolling around in the hatch area.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try a bathroom rug. The backing is rubberized and sticks in place quite will and the pile is thick enough to cause loose items to settle in. I have 2 of them and use both when seats are out or folded and one when seats are down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I found that the 2 fleece dog beds that I use for the dogs stay in place and keep anything else from sliding too. (these are the flat fleece beds, not filled with something)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I keep a big a%& stroller and a diaper bag. There's not much room for stuff to slide around. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Another vote for the rubber shelf liner. I bought black at Lowe's and it looks great and works like a charm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I keep a big a%& stroller and a diaper bag. There's not much room for stuff to slide around. :)
that's probably what happened, we were going shopping and were not using the full size, we were using an umbrella stroller. it was obnoxious!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Understand the umbrella stroller thing- it is annoying.

We just put a rubber-backed utility mat in the back. It's a little smaller than the back area, but it prevents everything from sliding around. Also good when grocery shopping!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Commercial carpet mat 4 x 6

Works for me carpet top, rubber back. Easy to roll out of way or flip over if you want a slippery surface instead of non skid.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Same here. I stopped in at a dept store and picked up a rubber backed carpet for about $8 that matched the color and size in back. It's part of the E now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
at work my company gets food catered in from time to time from Boston Market. when they bring the food they have them in large cardboard flats with about 6" on the sides. 2 of these boxes/flats sit perfectly side by side in the rear hatch area. works great for groceries. only downside it with the flaps in the middle you cant put stuff in like golfclubs. but they are quick enough to pull them out for hauling large items.

If i still have them I'll take some pics and post them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
How has no one mentioned the Elemmat yet? If you don't want the back of your E to look like a Home depot experiment or a bathroom, get something that is meant to belong back there, looks like it belongs and does the job better than anything mentioned so far. If you are trying to do it on the cheap I guess these are good suggestions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I keep a big blanket in the back, I can also just cover my camera equipment up with it, and I have a blanket if me and my girlfriend go to the beach:D

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,823 Posts
.................. duplicate post

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,823 Posts
One of the first things I did for my Element was to make a foam PVA floor. It helped reduce sliding, but didn't stop it. What it DID do was make the interior a lot quieter.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=150&pictureid=499

Eventually I picked up a grey entrance rug with anti slip backing, 6" x 8' for $15 at Menards. It matched the interior so well that I took 30 minutes to cut it closely fit the entire rear area behind the drivers seat and have never removed it.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=150&pictureid=569

Once you have a real fabric on the floor, velcro can be used to anchor fairly large objects from sliding. I haven't found anything to stop objects from tipping over or rolling when I turn, including my wife!! (I love making right angle turns because the Element holds the road well and has a small turning radius. The passenger "panic" handle gets a good workout.)

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=150&pictureid=570

I used the leftover piece of rug to make a fitted piece for the front. It makes a good all weather mat, although I had to duplicate Honda's anchoring brackets to stop my big feet from pushing it under the accelerator.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
How has no one mentioned the Elemmat yet? If you don't want the back of your E to look like a Home depot experiment or a bathroom, get something that is meant to belong back there, looks like it belongs and does the job better than anything mentioned so far. If you are trying to do it on the cheap I guess these are good suggestions.
I dunno. We looked at the Elemmat at the dealer but my $8 carpet from Meijer looks nicer and I'm certain that it works better for sliding cargo - and it was a LOT cheaper.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,823 Posts
How has no one mentioned the Elemmat yet? If you don't want the back of your E to look like a Home depot experiment or a bathroom, get something that is meant to belong back there.
I agree, if you want something to look nice, you must nicely install whatever accessories you choose to put into it. My home which incorporates many items from Home Depot including carpeting, looks very nice. So does the back of my Element. Diecutting a piece of rubberized flooring material doesn't make it more "meant to belong there" than accurately cutting a price of another floor covering material such as carpeting. A floor is a floor. What's important is the particular application and the characteristics of the floor covering.

If I were primarily transporting heavy flat bottomed objects, the Elemmat would be near the top of my list. It does protect the interior and is less slippery than the god-awful slippery Element original floor, but it doesn't do much to stop tipping or sliding of smaller items, nor does it provide any restraint of things that can roll - like 2 liter soda bottles.

A price of carpeting, if fitted with the same care as the Elemmat looks like a piece of automotive carpeting, no better or worse, and its pile provides something for a velcro hook strip to latch onto. That enables a folding cargo bag to be used without using cargo nets, tying it to hooks or sticking something to the interior panels - a simple solution which prevents my groceries from rolling all over the open cargo area.

Given my druthers I'd have flooring similar to the Elemmat in my kitchen, which doesn't accelerate, brake and change direction (so far). I can afford Elemmats, they just don't match my vehicle accessory needs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
To prevent sliding, I bought a full elemmat but you can get it in just a "trunk" version. Also, I bought a large Thule trunk organizer that has two sections for holding grocery bags and stuff. Also folds flat when you don't need it. Other manufacturers make these as well.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Psschmied, your setup looks cool. It fits in there well.

I dunno. We looked at the Elemmat at the dealer but my $8 carpet from Meijer looks nicer and I'm certain that it works better for sliding cargo - and it was a LOT cheaper.
Didn't know they sold them at the dealership. Are you talking about the Honda cargo mat? I couldn't imagine a piece of unfitted carpet looking better and being more slide resistant than a fitted rubber mat. It definitely is cheaper though. The funny thing is, I got my Elemmat to cover up carpet. Can anyone say dog hair?:???:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts