• Dash

Votes: 10 7.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a GPS Device and wanted to see what most people have in your car/element.

What GPS Device do you have?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Garmin Nuvi350.

Best bang for the buck right now.

I bought mine from Amazon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
GARMIN 60csx

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a Garmin60CSx that I never use. I bought it for outdoors usage, and then stopped going outdoors. :)

I have an iPhone that I've barely used. Its been an in-a-pinch sort of thing.

I have a printer and access to Mapquest, with a backup map, and I find its still the best way. Since I only really need it for long trips, a pen and a co-pilot takes care of "turn by turn."

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Maybe we can get a group buy on that OEM unit...:-D

been a long time fan of Garmin.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Road Atlas! The biggin with the rings on the side.:twisted::???:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have the OEM......
My OEM stopped working and was out of warranty so I couldn't get it fixed or replaced.

Now I have a Garmin Nuvi 760. I use it as my in car bluetooth device for my iPhone as well.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I have a printer and access to Mapquest, with a backup map, and I find its still the best way. Since I only really need it for long trips, a pen and a co-pilot takes care of "turn by turn."
I have the OEM......
Road Atlas! The biggin with the rings on the side.:twisted::???:
I guess I'm like a Luddite. We still have only one TV that we bought ten years ago. I went for years without a cell phone and now that I have one you couldn't take it away from me.

Earlier this year I researched GPS receivers and finally decided to try one out (I bought it at the local Office Depot because of their liberal return policy). Two days after the purchase of our Garmin Nuvi 255W we went on a short trip to Omaha, Nebraska where we used the Garmin to find restaurants on the way (we never eat a chains when traveling) and attractions in Omaha. It didn't take long to realize what a powerful thing a GPS is. We then used it two months later on a two week trip to Texas and the only error "Bob" made (Bob is the voice we're using) was when we got to the Blue Bell Ice Cream Factory he said "turn tight" when it obviously was on the left. This thing is a keeper.

·
Registered
859 Posts
ive got a magellan, not sure of the model but it was $130 and works great. its not much good in town, as it gives the most direct way not the fastest but out of town its awesome, ive driven all over the state and it has yet to get me lost. i dont quite get why people spend $500+ on a gps when mine works fine for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I have the Garmin Nuvi 350. I bought it because I make a lot of 'rescue runs' to various shelters throughout the region.

I have found it to be a great asset in getting between the different locations without having to deal with trying to follow any printed directions.

It has it's limitations, some times I do refer to the map to get an overall picture where I'm at and where I'm going. But it is awfully hard to beat for locating gas stations, restaurants, and yes even those out of the way animal shelters. :)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
You needed to allow multiple choice on the poll !!

I ( We ) have or have had several.

I have and love the Garmin. The wife has the Mio. She is looking to replace it with a Garmin. I have used Tomtom, Lowrance and Magellan also.

I find the interface on the Garmin to be more user friendly. It has a logical layout, to my way of thinking. It;s also faster than the wife's Mio. I also think that the map sets are more comprehensive. That is to say, the wifes Mio is 4 years newer than my old garmin. The garmin still finds things that the wifes does not. I am missing some of the new streets that she has. That's because I dont want to pay for an updated map set. I keep thinking I will get a new one, one of theese days. But the old one just works so damed well, I hate to retire it.

Go for the Garmin.

Dom

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 360. Purchased it from Amazon. I use it on those occasions when the OEM has difficulty interfacing with the multi-page Thomas Guide :roll:, or those multiple fold maps from AAA :roll:.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Oh I Jest...

I got My Wife a Garmin Nuvi 200. She uses it quite a bit. I've had the opportunity on numerous occasions to use it and find it very usefull.

Be careful though I've seen it take people the long way to places. Two of my co-workers are NYC transplants. I gave one of them directions to Midway Airport in Chicago from our warehouse in Buffalo Grove. He decided to listen to his Nuvi not my directions. The Nuvi took him through downtown Chicago, which is Totaly out of the way. He nearly missed his flight.

Sometimes they are wrong... Always have a map as a backup. AND LISTEN TO THE LOCALS!!!!:mad::roll:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts