Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this on my trim pieces. It doesn't look like the plastic around the wheel area is affected like this.

I have read about the "peanut butter" trick for wax. Can someone give details? Do you spread it on, wipe it off and then just wash the car? Will that work on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to get the plastic back to an all grey with no "spotty" look. I think the stuff in that thread is only a sealant.

I have been reading other threads and I may try 303 or Black Wow. Have you heard of those?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I want to get the plastic back to an all Grey with no "spotty" look. I think the stuff in that thread is only a sealant.

I have been reading other threads and I may try 303 or Black Wow. Have you heard of those?
I think if you read up on those they are a sealant restorer as well. I'm thinking the Zaino might last a lot longer. A friend has used the 303 and likes it but says it doesn't last long and needs to be reapplied. I have no experience with the black wow product.

Send the picture you posted to Zaino and ask if the Z-CS will fix it....heck send to all of them and see what you get for replies.

I had something that looked like that on my spray in bed liner on my pickup and I used Eagle one tire and wheel cleaner http://www.eagleone.com/pages/products/product.asp?itemid=1003 and it looks good right after but is starting to show again after some weathering.

Good luck with this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That looks like water spots/acid rain to me. The minerals stuck to your plastic. Before you "protect it" with black wow, 303, zaino, ect. You have to clean it first. Those will clean it a little bit but mainly cover it up but not completely remove it. What i would do is use a white scotchbrite pad there about $2 a piece, then some APC or a plastic cleaner. Spray it on and scrub with the SB. You wont scratch the plastic and this will remove the spots. Then top it with BW, 303, Zaino, whatever you want. I personally use Black Wow and love it. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have had similar looking bluish spots on my E but it was tree sap. It washed off fairly easily with little to no elbow grease.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas. I personally think it needs to be cleaned too. I'll do that and then use Black Wow.

What is APC?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have heard of many people using a clay bar to clean the plastic on an E.

I for one would not use a Scotchbrite pad of any color on plastic..it will scratch. (if you do try it in a spot you can't see first and read up on these pads they are designed to "scuff") I think what you protect it with depends on how long you want that protection to last without re-apply.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Try warm water with some Dawn dishwashing liquid mixed in. That is what car detailers use to strip the wax off of cars, before they start their clean/detail process. Takes off wax and dirt, without being harsh/hard on the finish or plastic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought some plastic cleaner today. I am going to try a small spot using a rag, not the Scotchbrite pads. I have used them before and they are abrasive.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,878 Posts
To me it looks like the trim got waxed or oiled, the coating is wearing off, and there is a buildup of water or soil deposits on the surface. Given a choice between restoring a surface coating and removing it, I'd try to get it all off.

Plastic cleaners fall into two categories - oils and surfactants. The oils hide surface buildup and usually evaporate or thicken before they can penetrate (which is why peanut butter is used). Surfactants dissolve buildup. Before using an oil-based cleaner, I'd try a good liquid dish washing soap (Dawn or Joy) with very warm water, fat-free elbow grease and a soft sponge.

If the spots didn't respond to that, on the chance that they are mineral deposits bound to the plastic surface, I'd try vinegar or CLR bathroom cleaner on a cotton ball. Only after all that failed would I'd resort to peanut butter, because it has to be left on for a long time to work and it's such a PITA to clean completely off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have heard of many people using a clay bar to clean the plastic on an E.

I for one would not use a Scotchbrite pad of any color on plastic..it will scratch. (if you do try it in a spot you can't see first and read up on these pads they are designed to "scuff") I think what you protect it with depends on how long you want that protection to last without re-apply.
You might want to double check that. Sense the white scotchbrite pad is soft and made to clean not scuff, it will not scratch the plastic regardless of the color. I wouldnt knock something, unless you have presonally tried it youself. I be more then happy to do a write up on it. You can even check their website, they do sell products that just clean and not "scuff", weird. They're different levels of abrasives.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You might want to double check that. Sense the white scotchbrite pad is soft and made to clean not scuff, it will not scratch the plastic regardless of the color. I wouldn't knock something, unless you have presonally tried it youself. I be more then happy to do a write up on it. You can even check their website, they do sell products that just clean and not "scuff", weird. They're different levels of abrasives.
Well, so I go to 3-M's site to see what I don't know and here is what I find. Yes they say for cleaning......but then go on to say this directly from their site.

Scotch-Brite™ Light Duty Cleansing Pad No. 98, White, 6 in x 9 in, 60 per case
Our premier light duty cleansing pad with soft, non-woven fibers and mild abrasive to gently, but thoroughly clean most surfaces.

3M Id : 61-5001-1079-8
GTIN(UPC/EAN) : 5 00 48011 07445 5
Use on stainless steel, chrome, copper, porcelain and ceramic.

Characteristics Abrasive Type Mineral
Color White
Length 9 Inch
Material Synthetic Fiber
Width 6 Inch

Please note the underlined parts. No where does it say to use on Plastic! Yes it does say for cleaning but then goes on to say mild abrasive and for use on hard surfaces not soft glossy plastic?:confused:

This is not a product I would use on glossy black plastic...you can do as you please.

You see I have used these personally and know they "scuff"....

Yes 3M Scotch Brite does make cleaning sponges and pads and other products for cleaning but even with those I would be very careful on glossy black plastic, just my dumb uneducated opinion:-(

·
Registered
189 Posts
To me it looks like the trim got waxed or oiled, the coating is wearing off, and there is a buildup of water or soil deposits on the surface. Given a choice between restoring a surface coating and removing it, I'd try to get it all off.

Plastic cleaners fall into two categories - oils and surfactants. The oils hide surface buildup and usually evaporate or thicken before they can penetrate (which is why peanut butter is used). Surfactants dissolve buildup. Before using an oil-based cleaner, I'd try a good liquid dish washing soap (Dawn or Joy) with very warm water, fat-free elbow grease and a soft sponge.

If the spots didn't respond to that, on the chance that they are mineral deposits bound to the plastic surface, I'd try vinegar or CLR bathroom cleaner on a cotton ball. Only after all that failed would I'd resort to peanut butter, because it has to be left on for a long time to work and it's such a PITA to clean completely off.
Never thought of CLR or Vinegar...great idea to try:smile: I'll put that in my peanut brain and try to remember if I come across something like this. Thanks psschmied!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Really inexpensive and effective... Rubbing Alcohol on a cotton towel. Usually will dry out the surface oils to get this back to a dry plastic to start with a proper protectant.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I'm about ready to give up! I have tried plastic cleaner/protector--no luck. It looks exactly the same, maybe worse. I tried CLR. No luck. I tried vinegar, no luck. I tried "back to black", liberally, then wiped off excess. It REALLY looked worse after that.

I spoke to Sal at Zaino. He said "I have no idea" but you "might" try CS. Not too convincing really.

Now I'll try alcohol. I'm not holding my breath. I think that once the color is faded and gone, it's gone for good.

If I wanted to replace the plastic on the roof, any idea how expensive those pieces are?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Before you replace you might contact that mobile detailer that they told you about in your other thread and see what he can do. Seems to me if you are going to a have a professional detail done anyway it's not going to hurt to have this looked at as well. After all that is what they do:D

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Before you replace you might contact that mobile detailer that they told you about in your other thread and see what he can do. Seems to me if you are going to a have a professional detail done anyway it's not going to hurt to have this looked at as well. After all that is what they do:D
Good advice! If I remember correctly the cladding is pretty expensive and it's advised that you replace all that is next to each other because you'll see the difference in color if you do just one section.

Sorry this is being such a pain to strip and start over! I hate these kind of issues.

For a long time folks here have mentioned Turtle Wax Ice as a good protectant for the long haul. I have a friend with an E (2004) that he has used TWI since it came out and his panels stay nice and clean looking! <fwiw>

1 - 20 of 37 Posts