Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha All,
What's the deal with needing to hear three clicks when you screw in your gas cap? Is it just to be sure you've got a good seal?

The reason I ask, is I'd like to get a non-Honda locking gas cap with a combination lock rather than a key, but I keep hearing about people using non-OEM caps having problems with the "check engine" light coming on.

I would think that a gas cap is a gas cap and all of them should create a nice seal when screwed in tightly. If nothing else, I'd think you could add a flat washer of some sort.

What's so special about the Honda caps?

Thanks,
eKennedy

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know what's special about the honda vs. non-OEM caps, but we tried the non-OEM cap and a few days later a warning light came on. Even replacing the original cap and waiting the possible 3 days for it to reset the light didn't work. We had to go back to the dealer. Someone here on the board had a different solution to the reset the light problem - I think it was disconnecting the battery? Help me out folks, if you remember.

Someone also had theirs keyed so the ignition key worked on the gas cap.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'd like to find out about the rekeying. Those keys are so huge...and to carry two of them is ridiculous. Why does the gas key has to be that large!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not only is the gas cap key H-U-G-E, it's the same size, shape and colors as the ignition key - the only visible difference is the Honda "H" logo is plain black instead of painted silver. I'm just going to leave mine in the change box :idea: so I don't have to lug it around all day.

My dealer's parts dept couldn't find this on their PC and swore that it didn't exist. I insisted and they finally found the stock # in a 3 ring binder -AND- it was in stock:

Genuine Honda E locking gas cap stock #: 17680-SAA-G00, $31.00

Expensive but cheaper than if some nimrod puts sugar, water or dirt into your tank.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So back to the original question: What does the OEM cap have that non-OEM caps don't?

I think the combo lock cap would be sweet if I could get it to work correctly.

eKennedy

·
Registered
90 Posts
the oem cap dose not allow pressure release! very simlply The E raguires a pressurized fuel tank, which a lot of car manufactures are switching to, the problem is that a lot of after market caps are still designed for older cars that need pressure release. The reason for pressure release? less work for the fuel pump!

·
Registered
447 Posts
NO NO NO...

You're supposed to CLICK YOUR HEELS three times...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts